Impression on a rooted Droid 2

rectrix55

Reaction score
Ive owned my Droid 2 for a few days now I am a complete android noob.

I have debranded a phone before so rooting was actually easy and automated mostly.

Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers

Once I rooted the phone i downloaded the following:
Titanium backup pro
cpu benchmark
SetPCU
Quadrant
Root Explorer
Droid X/2 overclocker (The Jrumy sp? version)

Overclocker/SetPCU:
After downloading the apps I did a full backup with Titanium.
My benchmark with CPU Benchmark was 783ms 1000mhz
I then tried different settings and have settled with 1.3ghz low voltage
my new average CPU benchmark is 595-610ms 1300mhz at 1.2 it was 605-650ms. I have yet tried saving the profile to backup. I use SetPCU profile to control the speed which i believe helps with battery life but havent owned the phone long enough

With Quadrant my benchmark was 1550ish at 1.2mhz and 1650ish with 1.3mhz

Titanium Backup Pro:
I began freezing unwanted apps, setup apps to install onto sd card, and moved apps to sd card. This app is great because it highlights apps that are frozen and you can easily go and unfreeze them later if you mad a oops.

Root Explorer:
This software offer a ton of options but there is the potential for causing a lot of damage. I rarely use this but I am sure over time it will come in handy.

My overall impression is that rooting hasn't really done much for my phone. I mean the benchmarks have improved but I cant tell much difference in daily use of the phone. I like the geekfactor of it but rooting didn't really change much on the phone. I like having full access to my phone which is a big pro for me for rooting and it keeps the door open for options down the road.

I really have no disire to Tether my phone so that benefit doesnt do anything for me.

*******Disclaimer*********

This phone is a work phone so I wont be trying any custom ROMS due to increased risk of problems. Adding custom ROMs could really change the phone and make it a big deal to root the phone.

Looking for other impressions of rooting your droid 2

lsdozer

Reaction score
FWIW, I am looking to get a D2 and am coming from rooted D1. To me, the only reason I rooted was to switch themes and ROM's. These ROM developers are doing amazing things with the Droid. I cant put my Droid away, and constantly making my wife mad because I am always fooling with it:)

If you arent using custom ROM's and themes, you might not gain much except the use of titanium backup and setCPU.

robertnorton

Reaction score
well your phone is slow because you on moto blur which slows the phone down drasticly these rom developers work hard and i have been using custom roms since dinc came out. the rom developers work really hard and i advice u try 1 if u want more speed and stability just follow all instructions also when i oc to1.3 i quad a 1800 and linpack and 18 so maybe oc app isnt working all that good or it might not work as good with stock roms and once u oc u use set cpu and reset valuse so u oc to whatever desired its more to it than geting the app and oc u have to make sure u do everything correctly. also u can undervolt and achieve better battery life and custom roms give u better battery life because most custom roms for D2 remove all the blur stuff which slows down the phone on a crusial level. come to webchat.freenode.net and channel #teamdefuse and if u wanna try custom rom then go to teamdefuse.com and u will find download section and if u need instructions let me no.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Rooting in and of itself is not going to make your phone run any different than if it was not rooted. Rooting simply allows you to do things with your phone you otherwise couldn't.

Before doing all those changes to your phone you should have done a nandroid backup of your phone, not just a titanium backup. If you don't have a backup you have nowhere to go if something gets messed up. Or you will get stuck doing an sbf.

After you make a nandroid backup of your stock phone, then give a few roms a try.