Root or Wait Until 2.2??

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Hey guys I've got a Moto Droid running stock 2.1.1 and I need some help!! Should I go ahead and root it now or wait another month or so till froyo??!!

Thanks,
Brick

kaboyd

Reaction score
Even if Froyo is head over heels better than what we have now, I will always stay with an OS that I have root access to. I like the flexibility that it allows.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's purely up to you.

What are you looking to get out of rooting?

Read up on the various roms out there, look at what they include and how they look.

2.2 looks to offer most of the features available in rooted roms so it will be interesting to see what the rooted scene offers next. Theming lets you customize.

You can always root now and immediately go back to stock, or play around, get your feet wet, and then go back to stock to get 2.2 later or just return to root to await the 2.2 release.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would root. I'd bet 10 to 1 that a Froyo based ROM will happen for root users before the OTA launch happens.

OP
xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Thanks guys, the only real thing I am hoping to get with root access is the Wifi tether, (which I heard something about it being released with 2.2??) and the customization. So would I be able to root, and when the 2.2 update is released just upgrade over verizon network and go back to stock?

Thanks,
Brick

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, the only real thing I am hoping to get with root access is the Wifi tether, (which I heard something about it being released with 2.2??) and the customization. So would I be able to root, and when the 2.2 update is released just upgrade over verizon network and go back to stock?

Thanks,
Brick

Supposed to be, but I'm not wholly convinced that Verizon will allow it to be used. I just dont see the business in it: giving people something for free that they usually charge $30/month for... That debate is for another day.

Either way, there's no way to know when 2.2 will drop, and I can assure you, the custom ROM guys will have better than that when the official OTA update drops.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
If you are comfortable with trying it, I say go for it. I think it is a good way to understand how to play and trouble shoot your phone. as far as 2.2, I don't think it will be released until Q4 of this year and it may not have tethering when it is released. It took and extra 2 months for 2.1 to be released and everything it came with was already being used by those that were rooted in a custom Rom.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are comfortable with trying it, I say go for it. I think it is a good way to understand how to play and trouble shoot your phone. as far as 2.2, I don't think it will be released until Q4 of this year and it may not have tethering when it is released. It took and extra 2 months for 2.1 to be released and everything it came with was already being used by those that were rooted in a custom Rom.

I agree, if anything else, rooting forces you to learn a lot about your phone in a short timespan!

OP
xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Alright guys thanks, I think I'm about to try and root using the sbf thing, I'm scared :icon_eek: I've been doing my research and I'm great with computers and technology, so hopefully I don't brick my phone.... :icon_ nono2:

Any final tips??

Thanks,
Brick

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You say you're good with computers, then you're fine. Follow the instructions, understand what is happening and why, and you're the golden child. I'll be awake for the next hour or so (or at least until I run out of beer), if you need anything, PM me.

If you BRICK your phone, you'll be my hero. I havent met anyone yet who has ruined their phone.

OP
xXbrick84Xx

xXbrick84Xx

Reaction score
Alright thanks for all the help guys, I'm gonna get started.....

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Supposed to be, but I'm not wholly convinced that Verizon will allow it to be used. I just dont see the business in it: giving people something for free that they usually charge $30/month for... That debate is for another day.

Actually, I wouldn't say it's outside the realm of possibility, since that functionality is available for free on the Palm Pre Plus.

What VZW charges $30 for is mobile broadbandaccess; which uses the device as a modem. Android wifi tether simply "streams" the Droid's data connection over an ad-hoc wifi network to the connected device. I'd assume the version built into Froyo is based on the apk available over at code.google.com; the only difference being the functionality is built-in instead of requiring a seperate app.

I actually called VZW to "complain" about the lack of free wifi tether on the Droid, while the Pre Plus gets it for free. The lady didn't say anything solid, but the way she answered me hinted that it MIGHT be free on the Droid series as well. I asked "Why does the pre plus get free wifi tether, and not the Moto Droid?" - she said something to the effect of "I cannot discuss specifics of our promotions, but it would make sense that the same thing would be available for the Droid if it appears in a future OS version"

Since I made the call 2 days ago, I took that as a hint that it may be upcoming in Froyo. Like all things in the tech world, you have to take comments like this with a grain of salt; though. In the end, we won't know until Froyo launces.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont want to get into that debate here, if it's OK. I dont know who's paying for the Palm Pre service -- my money is that Palm is eating the cost, or cut a deal with VZW to try and help their sales against the Droid.

I dont know, I just dont want to thread hijack. We'll know when we know. I honestly hope I'm wrong, I just dont imagine a solvent business where free things make sense.

mayajw

Reaction score
You'll be fine! I Was nervous just as you are but followed the steps and pulled it off. Best decision ever to root.

droidftw1

Reaction score
I think the droid is impossible to brick. I even attempted to try and brick the phone. While flashing ti back to 2.0.1 i unplugged the phone. The phone turned off then i restarted it. It went to a white screen with nothing on it. It then procced to boot up it went into a boot loop so i just reflashed the sbf file. It is 99.9999999% impossible to brick this phone.