Root is causing TONS of problems. HELP!

OP
B

budmonster

Couple things. I have Version.2.3.15.MB810.Verizon.en.US, isnt Version.2.3.20.MB810.Verizon.en.US the most update one?

Since I'm now unrooted (I think), how should I properly root my DX now? Idon't want to go through the same ordeal as last time, it was a nightmare. Can someone please write me a little tutorial on how to do this properly or point me towards a tutorial that they have used themselves? I want to root the DX the "safest" way, meaning if I have to use ADB to make sure that my DX is rooted properly I will. I don't know if using ADB would be better than using those 1-click root applications. I used Z4Root the first try, which is the better way to root, manually or 1-click?

Thanks for help as always. - BUD

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Define "safe"... :D

That method is totally safe provided you follow the directions. :) Just takes a bit of work, but at least that one shows you what you're doing and tells you how and why.

OP
B

budmonster

Define "safe"... :D

That method is totally safe provided you follow the directions. :) Just takes a bit of work, but at least that one shows you what you're doing and tells you how and why.

safe...id rather sit and root the longest way possible if it means that im rooting correctly. i feel as if that Z4root i was using was not very good and a cheap rooting app.

do I follow Step 2 option A: from your link above to root my dx?

OP
B

budmonster

That is correct. It'll take you some time to get it done this way but it WILL get done if you are patient. :)

i wish it could be on the PC lol, typing that by hand will be a pain, no copy and paste.

also, that rageagainsthecage.zip and the step 2 method is pretty much the same thing as those 1 click root apps, right? just one is manual more tedious method and the other being the 1click root is just quicker?

OP
B

budmonster

is this rageagainsthecage.zip the same thing as rooting using the Z4root tool? just one is is typing commands and the other is 1 click and does it for you. All Im saying is that Im seeing so many ways to root the DX its getting overwhelming.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
Z4 root uses the rage file, this does it manually and lets you know if something isn't behaving right instead of trusting an app to do it for you. As long as you have USB debugging enabled while doing it with this method you shouldn't run into a problem.

OP
B

budmonster

Z4 root uses the rage file, this does it manually and lets you know if something isn't behaving right instead of trusting an app to do it for you. As long as you have USB debugging enabled while doing it with this method you shouldn't run into a problem.

ok excellent. im going to try that method in a second.

say i need to unroot how can i do that? how can I make sure that there arent any files left over? arent you suppose to delete some files in system folder or something (hijack file) using rootexplorer.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
Twitter
furryvarmint
There is a procedure that doesn't involve flashing some SBF, though I'm not sure on it right now. However, if you're taking your phone in to Verizon for any reason it's suggested you do a full SBF anyway as it wipes out ALL data on the phone, especially all that personal stuff you don't want anyone else getting. :)

OP
B

budmonster

There is a procedure that doesn't involve flashing some SBF, though I'm not sure on it right now. However, if you're taking your phone in to Verizon for any reason it's suggested you do a full SBF anyway as it wipes out ALL data on the phone, especially all that personal stuff you don't want anyone else getting. :)

well tomorrow im going to try rooting again following the guide your provided, so if it doesnt work or i brick my phone its your fault, lol. do you have GTALK btw?

i dont know if you can help me with this but ill throw it at you anyways.

1. My DX says version 2.3.15. Does that pretty much mean my DX is on BLUR v2.3.15 and Froyo 2.2? So that means 2.3.320 which is the latest out means I'm on 2.2.1? Is 2.3.15 and 2.3.320 just updates of MotoBlur? I don't understand what these version numbers mean.

2. Say when I root my phone, flash a theme, whatever, but I screw something up... To get my DX back to stock I would just have to flash the 2.3.15 SBF file w/ RSDLite and I'm back to an unrooted stock DX, correct? But with version 2.3.320, there is no SBF file so once you flash the 2.3.320 update.zip your stuck with 2.2.1, no going back? So if you don't follow the 2.2.1 steps properly and screw up your DX is useless?