Root Explorer

jerroedr

Reaction score
i found a thread that showed how to improve the snappiness of the phone by changing the dalvic settings usine RE. Dope!

Do tell please. I'm always looking for tweaks to make to anything that's memory related. Only thing I've done recently is changed that dalvik vm heap size in build.prop from 24m to 30m, but I don't think it's made a single noticeable difference for me. What are you referring to??

just that. i havnt put it through its paces to see though

dboss007

Reaction score
i found a thread that showed how to improve the snappiness of the phone by changing the dalvic settings usine RE. Dope!

Do tell please. I'm always looking for tweaks to make to anything that's memory related. Only thing I've done recently is changed that dalvik vm heap size in build.prop from 24m to 30m, but I don't think it's made a single noticeable difference for me. What are you referring to??

Not to get too far off topic, but this change made a huge difference for me in performance...

meishkov

Reaction score

Not to get too far off topic, but this change made a huge difference for me in performance...

That's not off topic, just a sub topic. You just changed that vm heap size from 24 to 30 that's it? I mean my phone still runs nice running with the interactive governor, but I've noticed I have less available memory in running services now.

dboss007

Reaction score

That's not off topic, just a sub topic. You just changed that vm heap size from 24 to 30 that's it? I mean my phone still runs nice running with the interactive governor, but I've noticed I have less available memory in running services now.

Well, if you increase the max Dalvik size, some applications might use that additional memory so its really a tradeoff on if you want to give up that additional memory for the benefits of certain applications, and your system as a whole.

From a thread on the Cyanogen forums:
The only scenario where it would be beneficial to increase the maximum heap size would be if you have an application that is very close to using up all of its available heap space, which would force it to run garbage collection frequently, which would use up CPU cycles. It is possible that lowering the maximum heap size could be beneficial in that it might prevent an application from obtaining more memory than it needs (by forcing it to garbage collect sooner), but that all depends on how the Dalvik VM is implemented and is really beyond my knowledge.

brad r

Reaction score
I used it to change the icons for system apps. Don't know if that could be done with Astro or not, but I did it with RE because I have it.

jerroedr

Reaction score

Well, if you increase the max Dalvik size, some applications might use that additional memory so its really a tradeoff on if you want to give up that additional memory for the benefits of certain applications, and your system as a whole.

From a thread on the Cyanogen forums:
The only scenario where it would be beneficial to increase the maximum heap size would be if you have an application that is very close to using up all of its available heap space, which would force it to run garbage collection frequently, which would use up CPU cycles. It is possible that lowering the maximum heap size could be beneficial in that it might prevent an application from obtaining more memory than it needs (by forcing it to garbage collect sooner), but that all depends on how the Dalvik VM is implemented and is really beyond my knowledge.

yea, if i ever have a thread going feel free to talk about whatever, like the redskins taking it to the eagles yesterday!

thats some crazy ish about lowering it could be better. I dont really understand what dalvik does anyway

meishkov

Reaction score
Yea those freakin eagles I tell ya, and vicks a biatch for getting injured and costing me my fantasy matchup. It's sooo irritating I tell u.

But anyways, about that dalvik vm heap size thingy, I'm going to put it back to 24m instead of the 30m I set it to...in the build.prop file of course. My green available memory in settings, applications, running services is much lower now then it used to be. Now it's like 24MB+ like 7-9MB usually now. Where before it would be at like 34MB+20 or 22MB.

Now after reading That reply I'm thinking about lowering even more, below 24m. Wish there was a way to tell the threshold on Your phone.

Edit: Weird, now in running services the green memory is 30MB+21MB. Now I don't know what to think.

jerroedr

Reaction score
yea, i dont quite get how that all works. and i dont know who the expert is to ask. maybe rescue squad? i dont know...

The other thing I really really want is to add a voice search button into swypes keyboard. but i dont know who to ask about that either.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use it ALL the time. Well worth the money I paid for it.

metoo.gif

me_droid

Reaction score
I've used it to add .bak to all the notifications and ringtones files I will never use so they don't even show up as choices. Also did that to the camera click sound file so that I don't have to hear that anymore either.

Anybody know of a pc based app that will allow root explorer type access to the droid via the usb connection? That would make it a lot easier to do file management.

Phreaker47

Reaction score
Meh... I use Cool Edit Pro on my PC to create whatever ringtone files I want. This way, the whole world of audio is open to you. Anything you can conceive of, and find, can be used. No need for additional android apps to help. Load/cut/splice/amplify, whatever you need to do, save, copy to phone.

vals4con

Reaction score
I make my own boot animations and can change them at will in about 30 seconds with root explorer, also some of the other things posted here. I wouldn't want to do without it.
EDIT: Not fancy boot animations, just converted .gifs to .pngs, all of them of very questionable taste. :)

I want the original boot animation that came on my Hero or another fun one. I've downloaded some .zip files and would love to know how to use the Root Explorer to switch them out. Any help or advice you or anyone else can give me would be greatly appreciated. :) val

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I make my own boot animations and can change them at will in about 30 seconds with root explorer, also some of the other things posted here. I wouldn't want to do without it.
EDIT: Not fancy boot animations, just converted .gifs to .pngs, all of them of very questionable taste. :)

I want the original boot animation that came on my Hero or another fun one. I've downloaded some .zip files and would love to know how to use the Root Explorer to switch them out. Any help or advice you or anyone else can give me would be greatly appreciated. :) val

Well if you're using SS 4.9, this is quite easy now! See the explanation on the new custom boot animation management/support.

valid

Reaction score
Have a DX rooted. When I launch the Root Explorer app it is granted superuser permision. But screen is blank except for the words Root Explorer in top left cornor. ?? Afert a few min I click the HOME button and the "Force close" box appears.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
This the Droid 1 section. I have asked your thread be moved to the Droid X section so you might be able to get more help.

good luck