ROMS and restoring data

kikitt

Reaction score
Hello I have an R2D2 Droid 2, I am rooted right now with the stock ROM for this phone, I have been reading alot about Liberty and really want to try it. I installed Titanium Backup Free and backed up User and App information. If I wipe my phone and install Liberty will this allow me to restore all of my settings and apps? And if I want to go back to my rooted stock ROM can I just use the Clockwork Recovery image that I have created? Thank you all in advance!

-Kikitt

trook

Reaction score
The backup you made with clockwork recovery will restore your phone exactly the way it was when you created the backup. All apps and app data will also be in the same state they were when you made the backup. The titanium backups you made will probably. Never be used but you can never back up enough. Also, its a good idea to backup your contacts to gmail now so they automatically reappear when you flash your rom.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

louy99

Reaction score
Good choice on liberty. What program did you chose to make a backup of your stock rooted phone?

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
you do a backup threw bootstrap/recovery and im pretty sure that Liberty doesn't work on R2D2 or D2G might wanna check into that 1st b4 you have problems

Fera6037

Reaction score
i have the same question, so just to get this straight. if i flash to a rom, say liberty 1.5 and end up wanting to try another rom or wanting stock back (rooted) i could just restore from my nandroid backup and all is well? or is there a different process to going back to stock from a rom?

also, stupid question but just curious, are you able to make multiple nandroid backups? if i make another one will there be 2 files and ill have a choice of which one to restore to when the time comes? or will it overwrite the first one if i make a second backup?

thanks

holmes6

Reaction score
nandroid doesn't cover everything
I know the if you change the boot logo for instance, it survives a restore
Other things may not be included as well. I'm not aware of any official list though.
So generally if you want a totally fresh start you need to wipe data/cache and sbf

Fera6037

Reaction score
so right now, my phone is rooted stock rom. to get back to this state after flashing a rom i would need to sbf. after i sbf could i then use the nandroid backup to restore my phone to the way it was before i flashed? or does the sbf clear the backup?

i thought the whole point of nandroid backup was to make it easier to restore the phone to the way a user likes it

louy99

Reaction score
i have the same question, so just to get this straight. if i flash to a rom, say liberty 1.5 and end up wanting to try another rom or wanting stock back (rooted) i could just restore from my nandroid backup and all is well? or is there a different process to going back to stock from a rom?

also, stupid question but just curious, are you able to make multiple nandroid backups? if i make another one will there be 2 files and ill have a choice of which one to restore to when the time comes? or will it overwrite the first one if i make a second backup?

thanks

Make sure liberty can be flashed on r2d2 D2. You can flash roms over your current rom, just make sure you follow instructions. If you make more than one backup, it doesn't erase the older ones.when you make backups, it shows the date and a bunch of numbers. It can get confusing as to which backup is which. I use rom manager to rename my backups. I also save my backups on my pc, just in case my sd card craps out and I lose everything. If you need help, feel free to pm me

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

Fera6037

Reaction score
sorry i should have specified, i do have an original droid 2. not r2d2 or global.

ok but im talking about getting back to my stock rooted rom. not just flashing over another rom. for instance. i just rooted my phone, got a couple root only apps like wireless tether and such and i made nandroid backup. When i flash a rom, what would be the easiest way to get back to stock rooted (like i had it before i flashed a new rom).. does a nandroid restore from the backup i made (right after root) do the trick?

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
if you sbf it will be just like you took it out of the box the day you got it there will be nothing on it at all apps contacts nothing...so export contacts to your sd card and the apps will reinstall after you sign the phone in with google...thats the way to get the "root" off the phone point blank lol

Fera6037

Reaction score
i know this already, im not talking about getting the root off the phone. im talking about getting the custom rom off the phone. back to the original rom rooted.

louy99

Reaction score
sorry i should have specified, i do have an original droid 2. not r2d2 or global.

ok but im talking about getting back to my stock rooted rom. not just flashing over another rom. for instance. i just rooted my phone, got a couple root only apps like wireless tether and such and i made nandroid backup. When i flash a rom, what would be the easiest way to get back to stock rooted (like i had it before i flashed a new rom).. does a nandroid restore from the backup i made (right after root) do the trick?
At any point in any rom, if you like, you may restore back to the nandroid you made of your rooted stock phone.

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
Ok then yes if you restore to your stock backup the rom will b gone but u can sbf then re root with z4 if you have problems that's the only way there's no other way to get the rom off if sbf that's it

Don't blame me my head and hands posted it.