[ROM] MinimalX

Haven't been able to get around the update soft-brick problem quite yet. I'm still set on believing it is a script error on boot, but I'm still digging around and beginning to consider new ideas.

If anyone is craving a little update on what's included with this next release,

This release will contain some AOSP
Less blur than before
More "functional" updates (calendar sync, contact fix, etc.)
Back to original theme (flash-able themes will be added later)
Second init (no mod yet; want to test it first)
Additional under-the-hood system tweaks
More build.prop tweaking for system handling and performance
Signal boost tweak (this is still under testing and may not make it into the build)

Since I'm trying to get this update out quick -- so I can study and do my pathophys final project -- I wasn't able to include everything I would like. Future plans include, but are not limited to:

Overclock (I tried to get it in this build and learned 100 ways not to do it... It's a little more difficult on the Tegra structure without the ability to modify the kernel)
Reboot in menu (A lot of coding that I simply didn't have the time to include in this build)
Supercharger baked in (easy to do with second init, just want to test prior)
1% Battery (I'm kinda iffy about how I could do this on the X2)
And continue to fix bugs we run into.

Hopefully I can get this out soon. If I don't get it working in a bootable and stable state by Monday night, you may not see the update released until after this upcoming weekend -- I have to shift my focus to school.

Thanks for the support all, and keep feeding me your ideas and I'll try to incorporate them in one way or another.

Good news though, fishing trip went pretty well today. Somehow managed to catch a catfish on a crankbait. :icon_eek: Have a good day!

School!!?? That SOOOO Uncool. Haha J/K CJ Keep It Up You're An Excellent Developer, One Who Should Get More Credit Than Someone (Won't Mention His Name) Gives You Credit For.

Count me in as a tester, love playing with phones, I have other phones I can swap quickly of this one becomes un responsive

Sent from my DROID X^2 using Tapatalk

So this may be an obvious question, but how do you switch between phones? Is there a code or something you enter to activate a different phone?

Sent from my LGB v0.9 Gingercomb Juiced DROID2

Dial *228 on your phone. Press 1 to Program your phone. Enter your 10 digit phone number, let it tell you it's been activated successfully, done. You can do this each time you want to switch your phone. Just make sure you turn the currently activated phone off before you do this or it will fail.

Firstly vzw has to have the new meid b4 you can dial *228.

As for overclock I push everything to the limit, I want to know I can do. As for daily use, I underclock, but I want to know there is a beast waiting to be unleashed

Droid X^2

Underclocking???? thats a downright dirty shame, Im hoping I can push to 1.2 and have stability but Ill push as far as temp and stability will allow...battery drain? Buy two extended batteries off amazon for 20$ each have a fully charged spare ready to go if ya need it and battery is never an issue again. Unleash the beast

Count me in as a tester, love playing with phones, I have other phones I can swap quickly of this one becomes un responsive

Sent from my DROID X^2 using Tapatalk

So this may be an obvious question, but how do you switch between phones? Is there a code or something you enter to activate a different phone?

Dial *228 on your phone. Press 1 to Program your phone. Enter your 10 digit phone number, let it tell you it's been activated successfully, done. You can do this each time you want to switch your phone. Just make sure you turn the currently activated phone off before you do this or it will fail.

Thank you so much.

For the rom, the ability to overclock would be awesome, even if it wasn't built into the rom (like changing the values) as long as it gets unlocked so we can use our favorite apps to push this monster faster.

I have an underclocked profile in Quickclock advanced (awesome app that both undervolts and overclocks for you). The profile I run every day is 1265mhz and is running the same voltage the phone does out of the box. These phones are overvolted to make sure any fluctuations are still safe for their one size fits all. About 5 minutes using quickclock and it found the lowest voltage to run and highest frequency, then make profiles combining those numbers to make the phone as effecient as possible.

Okay guys, I was able to determine what has caused the brick... And it's bad news.

First of all, we have to have CWM Recovery in order to install a ROM, correct? Yes.

Secondly, to enable oodles of goodies at boot, we either have to have an unlocked kernel (we do NOT have this). Or we can follow the new popular trend of configuring a 2nd init.

From what I understand, the kernel calls the init file to decide what occurs at boot. This allows us to have certain scripts run at boot, changes to the phone at boot, and other actions that we normally do not have access to. By installing a 2nd init, it is able to hijack the first, and thus, the kernel calls to it instead. There is an awesome article by cvpcs concerning 2nd init that can be found HERE.

All sounds good, right? We are finally advancing in development on this phone, we have access to control a lot of things. Unfortunately, this is WRONG.

The 2nd init interferes with the CWM Recovery we have for the X2. Recovery hijacks the charging screen and this is the root cause of this problem. This lands your phone in a bootloop causing you to be stuck at the Motorola Logo, unable to advance toward the boot animation.

TLDR; we cannot have our current recovery and 2nd init at the same time because the two interfere.

I'm somewhat left with a very tough decision, and that's leaving 2nd init out. Which means, no SuperCharger baked into the script, no OC at boot, and no CyanogenMod for the X2 until this is resolved.

... BUT I have one last idea before I call it quits on this. After dumping the 2nd init files, I can try to call a script that will put recovery back into the "charge state." If this is called at the end of the install, hopefully... we can bypass this problem.

Unfortunately, we run into another error. To be able to get back to functional recovery (to flash a new ROM or even recover a nandroid), we have to uninstall 2nd init.

X2 development will come to a slow halt unless we are able to get around this.

Any suggestions, ideas, or if you KNOW how to get around this, please, please, please share.

BTW, this is SBF numero 10 for the day dancedroid

Can we edit the recovery program that we are currently using to not require the charger be plugged in? No one recovery I have used needs it, and if that is the problem there should be a way to disable that requirement and if I understand the issue (I probably don't), that will be the best work around possible.

Can we edit the recovery program that we are currently using to not require the charger be plugged in? No one recovery I have used needs it, and if that is the problem there should be a way to disable that requirement and if I understand the issue (I probably don't), that will be the best work around possible.

It would surely be the best, but most definitely not the easiest. As things stand now, I am looking for the easiest due to having a really busy schedule.

Thanks for your input.

Well what ever happened to the other recovery that was being worked on before you discovered this? You found this one early in the week and some other guy said the "official" recovery would be out by the end of the week. Obviously it didn't happen, but do we know if that recovery ever was completed? I seem to remember the picture of the x2 in recovery and it wasn't plugged in. Just a thought.

I Just About Threw My Phone. A Whole Slew Of Cuss Words Were Thrown Instead. How Can Two Of The Best Things Possible Be Our Worst Enemy. I Am So Pissed That I Can't Figure Out Or Have The Answer.

First of all, we have to have CWM Recovery in order to install a ROM, correct? Yes.

Dunno... Milestones can flash roms but can't use CWM... mostly we use androidiani open recovery.

Of course it's less convenient than CWM, but it works great.

I'm not saying to try androidiani OR, but it's probably possible to create a recovery

I Just About Threw My Phone. A Whole Slew Of Cuss Words Were Thrown Instead. How Can Two Of The Best Things Possible Be Our Worst Enemy. I Am So Pissed That I Can't Figure Out Or Have The Answer.

Haha, no worries just yet my brother-man. A temporary fix is simple -- when you flash this ROM, you will lose CWM Recovery. The files will still be present, but it will be in "charge" state. CWM installer, and an 2nd init uninstaller app will be included in the ROM, but will be named <app>.apk.bak to hide them from the app drawer. When you're ready to boot into CWM to flash a new ROM or nandroid restore, just remove the .bak, install both apks, open the 2nd init app (uninstall), then open the CWM and boot recovery.

Inconvenient, but hey, at least it works.

Haha, no worries just yet my brother-man. A temporary fix is simple -- when you flash this ROM, you will lose CWM Recovery. The files will still be present, but it will be in "charge" state. CWM installer, and an 2nd init uninstaller app will be included in the ROM, but will be named <app>.apk.bak to hide them from the app drawer. When you're ready to boot into CWM to flash a new ROM or nandroid restore, just remove the .bak, install both apks, open the 2nd init app (uninstall), then open the CWM and boot recovery.

Inconvenient, but hey, at least it works.

At Least It's A Start Extremely Inconvenient But If It Allows New ROMs Let's Do It!

Flashing the newest release now. Minfree values are baked in + much more.

Release is soon if all flashes well.

Oh ya, you mentioned that you were gonna change the theme of the rom. IMO it should stay same, I love the way it looks

Droid X^2

Back