Rom Manager BRICKED my Galaxy Note 2!!!

Batman8

Reaction score
Just so you guys are aware, I tried to make a nandroid backup of my Verizon GN2 once I saw that Rom Manager had been updated to show my VZW version and I was able to use it to flash recovery (as I have done with my Droid 1, Droid-X, Bionic, AND Galaxy S3 with not many major problems over the years, except for on the Bionic). But as soon as I chose for RM to "Backup my current Rom" my screen flashed and instantly showed me a black screen with a yellow triangle on it saying that I was running an unapproved version of software and that I had to turn my phone off and take it into a Verizon location!

Of course I tried to reboot, boot into recovery, pull the battery, etc., etc,...and NOTHING WORKED. I eventually had to reflash the stock image in Odin just to get the phone back up and running. This really pissed me off since everything was perfect, which was why I wanted to make a backup of the complete device in that state (just in case something happened, and here is the backup software CAUSING the very problem to happen, and BEFORE a complete backup could be made to restore from.

Thank goodness for Titianium Backup or it would have taken even longer to restore things. Just watch out all and let me know if any of you were able to make a "successful" nandroid backup within Rom Manager of a Verizon GN2 and Restored it to prove that it worked, and if so, did you have to do anything different? I heard that the Galaxy Note 2 toolkit floating around can make backups, but I don't really trust that either, plus it has to be done via PC instead of with the actual phone.

B.

pool_shark

Reaction score
I used Adam's unlock method which gave me TWRP, I see no need to switch from that so I never considered ROM manager.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
I used Adam's unlock method which gave me TWRP, I see no need to switch from that so I never considered ROM manager.

Yeah, I have used RM & CWR for so long that I never thought about trusting any others. I guess now I'll have to look into TWRP. Did you use it on a Verizon model GN2?

pool_shark

Reaction score
Yeah, I have used RM & CWR for so long that I never thought about trusting any others. I guess now I'll have to look into TWRP. Did you use it on a Verizon model GN2?

Yes. That's all that was available for the unlock method.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Is your GNote2 unlocked? If not, you must do that before trying to install a custom recovery.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Is your GNote2 unlocked? If not, you must do that before trying to install a custom recovery.
Do you mean the bootloader? I certainly attempted to unlock it during the root method, but I do remember having issues with the unlock taking so I ended up having to use the one click exploit to get root, so maybe it's still locked and that was the problem. I rooted all of my other devices and made backups, and I never unlocked any of their bootloaders, maybe the GN2 is an exception.

Which method would you suggest I use to unlock the bootloader, root & install recovery at this point, after already using the exploit? I just really want to make a nandroid backup WITHOUT a whole lot of trouble...like hopefully NOT having to perform another Factory Data Reset or re-flash the stock image again, etc. Plus I don't like the phone being "exposed" after using the exploit, even though I also used Norton Halt (which is supposed to help until it's patched). What do you guys recommend as the easiest way to go from here? Thx.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Do you mean the bootloader? I certainly attempted to unlock it during the root method, but I do remember having issues with the unlock taking so I ended up having to use the one click exploit to get root, so maybe it's still locked and that was the problem. I rooted all of my other devices and made backups, and I never unlocked any of their bootloaders, maybe the GN2 is an exception.

Which method would you suggest I use to unlock the bootloader, root & install recovery at this point, after already using the exploit? I just really want to make a nandroid backup WITHOUT a whole lot of trouble...like hopefully NOT having to perform another Factory Data Reset or re-flash the stock image again, etc. Plus I don't like the phone being "exposed" after using the exploit, even though I also used Norton Halt (which is supposed to help until it's patched). What do you guys recommend as the easiest way to go from here? Thx.

How to Unlock Your Bootloader -New and Improved Super Easy- - xda-developers

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score

pool_shark

Reaction score
The method has changed quite a bit from when I used it.
At that time it also provided root and TWRP, not sure about now.

To go back to stock you would Odin the stock image.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That method looks good. But I have a couple of questions...

1. That method looks like it will unlock the bootloader and nothing else, right? So when it's done I would then be able to make complete nandroid backups in RM?

2. Once the BL is unlocked, what would I do if having to return the phone? How easily can the BL be re-locked and the device returned to stock?

[Automated] Wug's Nexus Root Toolkit v1.6.2 (Updated 12/29/12) - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

[ODIN][VRALJB] Restore to Stock - xda-developers

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score

The Nexus Root Toolkit looks interesting but it doesn't show my device OR my build which worries me. I am always concerned about flashing things that are plainly listed for other devices (even thought it says that for the build that I can always select "any build"), my device is still missing from this short list. Not only would I like to see the Galaxy Note 2 in the list, I would also really like to see the "Verizon/SCH-i605" Galaxy Note 2 listed to be certain that my device is compatible.

It also looks like unlocking will wipe all my data which I'm not ready to do again just yet. More than anything else though, before I will ever flash images/roms, root or play with unlocking bootloaders, etc. I have to at least know that the instructions are compatible with my exact device.

Do you know of a method that is clearly compatible with the VZW GN2? Will all methods wipe data?, if so that's fine, just wondering. Thx.

pool_shark

Reaction score
The Nexus Root Toolkit looks interesting but it doesn't show my device OR my build which worries me. I am always concerned about flashing things that are plainly listed for other devices (even thought it says that for the build that I can always select "any build"), my device is still missing from this short list. Not only would I like to see the Galaxy Note 2 in the list, I would also really like to see the "Verizon/SCH-i605" Galaxy Note 2 listed to be certain that my device is compatible.

It also looks like unlocking will wipe all my data which I'm not ready to do again just yet. More than anything else though, before I will ever flash images/roms, root or play with unlocking bootloaders, etc. I have to at least know that the instructions are compatible with my exact device.

Do you know of a method that is clearly compatible with the VZW GN2? Will all methods wipe data?, if so that's fine, just wondering. Thx.

It doesn't look like the unlock method wipes your device. It just gives you a new bootloader and recovery. It doesn't look like it changes your ROM at all unless it doesn't work with your current ROM. That's when you have to use the one provided, which will wipe your current data.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
O.K. so I went through with the first method for unlocking my bootloader and it also installed TWRP which I actually like a lot more than CWR which I had been using now for years. The problem I have now is that I can not find a way to get TWRP to work with USB OTG!!! I have tried everything from resetting the defaults in TWRP, to reformatting my USB flash drive, to checking all of the mounting settings/options and no matter what...TWRP will not recognize my USB flash drive.

Can someone tell me how to get the USB OTG option to work with TWRP? All it sees is my internal & external SDcards!