4.1.2 Update Question

Batman8

Reaction score
I am currently running 4.1.1 MeanBean's rom version 1.02 (which errors whenever I try to download the update to it by the way). So now I'm thinking about updating to stock 4.1.2 and just wondering the easiest way to do so and then regain root and an unlocked bootloader.

I of course have a nandroid backup of rooted/unlocked stock 4.1.1 that I made just before going to MeanBean, so I was wondering if it's best to restore my 4.1.1 nandroid backup and then pull the update, install and then re-root/unlock using the new "Casual" method?

Or should I reflash my old stock image file of 4.1.1 and then pull the update, install, re-root/unlock etc.?

One last question... I have always been curious whether anyone has ever been able to restore a nandroid backup of an older OS with success? For example, restoring a 4.1.1 rom after already updating to 4.1.2?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Hey.. I've restored back no issues.. I've flashed from 4.1.2 to 4.1.1... That being said I don't think you should flash ota.. There is a stock ota rooted build by beans with the new Verizon Ota and you can flash the radio separate... Beans also released beans 16 off the new build as well.. Scott ROM has a Verizon build off stock... So plenty of options.. All links can be found on XDA Verizon Android development

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1888

Noted 2x- beta testing

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Bkdodger. So you suggest going with an already rooted build of 4.1.2 huh? I don't get that whole thing about the radios being separate and why they would have to be flashed separately, but I surely would like to be able to do it all in one shot if possible.

I've been on Beans rom for a while now and I'm growing a bit tired of it (especially since I don't feel that I get very good support from the dev when asking questions) and I get nothing but errors whenever trying to add more apps to the multiview. Therefore I might try the Scott rom you mentioned but I'd like to go with just a simple rooted/unlocked stock first so I can make a good nandroid backup of stock before flashing anything custom. When going for custom roms I like things to be close to stock with nothing removed and all I want in terms of extras is basically the "all apps in multiview" option and maybe custom pull down toggles.

I saw a rooted/unlocked stock 4.1.2 file somewhere recently that came in both an odexed and deodexed version. Any suggestions (also what's your preference between odexed and deodexed)? I'm thinking deodexed.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Yes if you want the stock (which by the way it's by beans) go deodexed.. It makes it themable.. Also there are a few mods posted by members on that thread to add all apps to multi along with getting rid of wifi nag.. Beans is usually solid with support I'm surprised you find no help.. I'm on build 16 right now.. It going along nicely.. Any help you need let me know if I can help.. I've tried all the Roms.. Scott has the Verizon version.. Jedi 4.1.2 is good too..

Noted 2x- beta testing

pool_shark

Reaction score
I've been reading beans 16 is having issues, something to do with superuser, not sure if it's wide spread.
If you're talking about the Verizon OTA update, it will fail because you have a custom recovery.

Unlocking the bootloader and installing a custom recovery is for installing custom ROMs, if you're doing that, you don't need OTA updates.

I alternate between, cleanrom, beans, eclipse, and a couple of aosp ROMs like carbon, and liquid.

As for beans and the multi window issues, that's because the standard method of adding all apps stinks. It adds all apps and you have to remove all of the ones you don't want, and more often than not it moves the incorrect app.
I prefer to flash the mod by legendk95. That allows all apps in multi view, but lets you decide which ones go in. That comes with cleanrom, and I installed it on beans and eclipse.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Thanks again Bkdodger and Pool_shark for your help and insight. I still haven't decided which way I want to go with this but I really appreciate all the info. When if comes to rooting and unlocking my devices, I don't do it so much for the use of custom roms/themes as I do in order to use rooted apps for more control over the system and unlocking mainly in order to make nandroid backups etc. This is especially true since I found out the hard way that trying to make backups on a newer Android device without unlocking the bootloader first gets you stuck in a boot loop and therefore require you to reflash stock or similar to get the phone to even boot up again (I never had to unlock my older Androids before making backups like on the OG Droid, my Droid-X ,or Bionic but need to with my Samsung S3 and Note 2).

Anyway, that's a very interesting concept that you have Pool_shark...stating that when using custom roms that you really don't need the OTA updates which does make sense, however I don't use custom roms all the time and therefore like to have the devices running current OS software especially since a lot of roms can be buggy and therefore make you go back to just stock anyway. I also run a TON of apps and games so it's always safest to run stock in order to ensure that everything I have will run properly. So I would really like to update, make a backup, then decide if I will run any custom roms/themes on top. I will have to do some research on Jedi 4.1.2, Eclipse and Cleanrom to see what they all offer and find out which are closest to stock. I'm also wondering which comes with the best support when running into problems so please share your thoughts on these issues if possible. I just hate to invest so much time in this and then when having issues the Dev doesn't respond or has no answers to your problem so then you're just stuck!

I love the idea of using the multi window mod by legendk95. Do I have to install Cleanrom in order to get it? What are you guy's suggestions on just updating to be rooted, deodexed stock and adding multi window support? That's all I think I'd like to accomplish right now and just wondering the easiest way to do it. Thanks again for all of your help! You guys are GREAT.

pool_shark

Reaction score
You don't necessarily need the devs for support. The community can help you get past many problems, as most all of them have been experienced.

I installed the legendk95 mod on all of the TW ROMs, even the stock rooted ones.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
You don't necessarily need the devs for support. The community can help you get past many problems, as most all of them have been experienced.

I installed the legendk95 mod on all of the TW ROMs, even the stock rooted ones.

So what's the easiest way to get just the legendk95 mod? Thx.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score

I take it from what you said in an earlier post that you were able to flash it right over Mean Bean. So I'm assuming that it doesn't matter that I have his multi window method already running...I should still be able to flash right on top with no prep needed right?

I also noticed that the mod is made for VRALJB, and if that refers to my baseband I'm on VRALL4, so will that cause a problem or no?

Thanks much for the link by the way!

Last edited:

pool_shark

Reaction score
I take it from what you said in an earlier post that you were able to flash it right over Mean Bean. So I'm assuming that it doesn't matter that I have his multi window method already running...I should still be able to flash right on top with no prep needed right?

Thanks much for the link by the way!

Correct. All the the TW ROMs have all apps in multi view, cleanrom is the only one that includes this.
Just flash it, install the app, and choose which apps you want to see.

OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
Correct. All the the TW ROMs have all apps in multi view, cleanrom is the only one that includes this.
Just flash it, install the app, and choose which apps you want to see.

O.K. so I flashed the mod and ran the app and I STILL cannot add anymore apps to my multi window! It must be that something is corrupted and I can image that I will have to start over or in other words re-flash stock or Mean Bean and then add the apps to multi window from scratch.

Just so you know, all it does when I hit the add apps button is sit there and then it automatically returns me to the previous screen, but it never takes me back to the screen where I was originally able to add apps. If you have any ideas on what is causing this please let me know. Otherwise I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.

pool_shark

Reaction score
You go into the mwc app, tap all apps, then the + to add apps. It pauses loading your apps, then select an app, it adds it, then do it again for each app.
You're saying that isn't working?

It also needs root permissions.

Last edited:
OP
B

Batman8

Reaction score
You go into the mwc app, tap all apps, then the + to add apps. It pauses loading your apps, then select an app, it adds it, then do it again for each app.
You're saying that isn't working?

It also needs root permissions.

Yep. That's exactly what I'm saying. It isn't working, and I granted it permission on the first launch. It just keeps looping between the two screens ("add applications", and "Add an application +") but it never gets to the screen where I can choose any. Once I hit the second option (with +) it pauses and then takes me right back to the "add applications" screen again. I know what it "should" do because it worked the first few times right after I flashed Mean Bean a couple of months ago. It seemed that after adding too many apps to mw, about 14 or so it freaked out and never worked again where I could add anymore. Although I know that the amount of apps in mw shouldn't be a problem since I believe that almost all of my apps were in there by default at first, I still tried taking a few of them out, which didn't help at all. I also tried to clear the cache and data of the mwc app but that didn't help either. I have now even installed the newer version of mwc that came with the legendk95 mod right over the one that I had installed from Mean Bean but that didn't change anything either. I STILL cannot add any apps in mw. What's interesting is when installing certain new apps they will automatically be added to mw and I have to remove them, but not all of them will do that.

All I can think of trying at this point is to start over as mentioned, by flashing a rooted/unlocked/deodexed version of 4.1.2 and then flash the mw mod on top. Unless you know of anything else to try that will fix mw. (???) I'm a little more interested in getting it to work more than updating, but it seems I may end up doing them at the same time coincidently.

pool_shark

Reaction score
Try fixing permissions in recovery.
I never had a problem with this mod, but I never used meanbean either.