Trying to root my Maxx HD with the 4.1.1 update

Cdub270

Reaction score
Trying to root my Maxx HD with the 4.1.1 update, but its not work Ive been reading and searching for the correct way but havent found it yet Ive had the phone for about a month now and finally want to root it after the 4.1.1. update. Can anyone point me on the right path to freedom. LOL I did a seach and tried to do it with what I found but nothing

CDub270

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Trying to root my Maxx HD with the 4.1.1 update, but its not work Ive been reading and searching for the correct way but havent found it yet Ive had the phone for about a month now and finally want to root it after the 4.1.1. update. Can anyone point me on the right path to freedom. LOL I did a seach and tried to do it with what I found but nothing

CDub270

The Jelly Bean update is currently unable to be rooted. You are able however to flash back to the ICS build, root, then use the VooDoo Root Keeper app from the Market to backup root and then take the OTA in which you'll keep root.

Its a bit of a process, but if you really want root, its worth it.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Here is a nice little guide to get ya back to JB with root. Like I said, its a process, and will take an hour or so of your time if you cover all your bases.

I would make sure everything on your internal and external storage is backed up to a computer just in case you loose it (at some point, you will need to factory reset, wiping anything and everything on the internal storage, back it up!)

Droid Razr Maxx HD (XT926) - Jelly Bean OTA - 9.1.41.XT926 + Root - xda-developers

OP
C

Cdub270

Reaction score
I read the info on XDA and your right it is invovled. I dont think I want to try it because im not that droid savvy I did root my Bionic after bricking it once, with a little help from this site but I dont think I want to try it with the MAXX HD I might mess it up and I dont want to do that. Im thinking I will just wait till a easyer root for the 4.1.1 JB updated, I can always go back to my Bionic if im pressed about it (root), thanks

Calvin

OP
C

Cdub270

Reaction score
Is there any other ajustments or tweeks I can make to my MAXX HD. Im liking this phone so far the battery is awsome I charge it every other day and I havent turned it off yet.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Here is the utility that makes it a bit easier DROID RAZR HD Utility 1.10 [Windows] - xda-developers

-Option 1 to return to ICS
-Once on ICS go to settings - about phone - system update and take the 6MB update
-Root using the utility
-Install Voodoo OTA rootkeepr from the utility or download it from gplay.
-Open Voodoo and protect root
-Temp unroot
-Take the JB OTA from settings - about phone - system update
-Open voodoo and restore root.

I did this about two days ago and its not a hard process at all.. All instructions are basically right on the screen for you.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I actually did this today...it was not bad at all...the utility is super nice and the instructions are spot on :)...

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
And if you do opt to do it...definitely back up your internal storage as the process can wipe it if you make that selection.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Forgot that part STG, thanks. Its recommended to wipe during the process to avoid any possible headaches down the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Forgot that part STG, thanks. Its recommended to wipe during the process to avoid any possible headaches down the road.

Yes, definitely good to wipe and start clean...

OP
C

Cdub270

Reaction score
Cliff

I decided to take the chance and root asnd I followed the process just like you said the only snagg was i forgot to enable debugg but once I did that I got rooted and now for the tooten ...LOL. I unrooted and now im down loading the 4.1.1 update now so lets see if the update lets me root again without no problems. I will post in the morning what happend.

Thanks Cliff :hail::hail: :icon_ lala::icon_ lala:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
As long as you made a SU backup in voodoo and temporarily unrooted then you are golden. :)

OP
C

Cdub270

Reaction score
4.1.1 updated and root restored now we will see if any problems pop up but so far so good

thanks every one and it wasnt that bad at all.

Cdub270 :icon_ lala::icon_ lala:

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Easiest way to confirm root is to download terminal emulator, you will see a $ sign. Type SU and press enter. If you have root the $ will turn to a #. Or download root checker basic from the play store. Congrats on root.

OP
C

Cdub270

Reaction score
Root Checker confirmed im rooted ...now I need to Rom and Theme this baby...thanks every one

Cdub270