RockPlayerBase Allows You To Play DivX, H264, MKV, and AVI Files On Your Android Devi

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
  • RockPlayerBase Allows You To Play DivX, H264, MKV, and AVI Files On Your Android Devices

One of Android’s major shortcomings is its lack of compatibility with many audio and video file types. Fortunately, doubleTwist stepped in to fix the audio problem, but what about video playback? That’s where RockPlayerBase comes in!

Compatible with a plethora of video formats, including MKV, AVI and DivX , RockPlayerBase combines great compatibility with a simple interface. Controls are overlaid on the screen, so you can still see the video track whilst using the controls.

When testing on the Nexus One, I found playback quality to be predominantly good. I tested a DVD rip encoded in AVI which played back without any problems, although audio output was sometimes a little pitchy and inconsistent.

I also tested a 720p MKV file, albeit with less successful results. Whether it’s a hardware or software issue is debatable, but video playback wasn’t even remotely smooth, and I was lucky if I got even a second of audio playback before having it cut off too.

FeelAndroid tested the player with various formats, and found some interesting results…
MKV
H264 High profile, 720 x 304 @ 24fps @ 405Kbps
AAC 44.1KHz
perfect quality
14 to 20 FPS

AVI
DivX 5, 704 × 1.097 @ 384 Kbps @ 24 FPS
MP3 @ 128Kbps 48KHz
perfect quality
22-24 FPS
H264 High profile, 848 x 480 @ 24fps @ 302Kbps

AAC 48KHz
lots of artefacts
no subs (ASS, Advanced Sub Station)
8 to 15 FPS

MP4
H264 Baseline profile, 800 × 3.120 @ 448 Kbps @ 30 FPS
AAC, 44.1KHz @ 151 Kbps
perfect quality
13 to 16 FPS

MP4
Main profile H.264, 1280 × 720 @ 30 FPS @ 5.994 Kbps
AAC @ 66Kbps 44.1KHz
perfect quality
3 to 6 FPSMP4

H264 Main profile, 1920 x 1080 @ 10Mbps @ 30FPS

AAC, 44.1KHz @ 192Kbps
perfect quality
1 to 3 FPS
It’s worth noting that the FPS count appears on the screen by default, but this can be turned off by tapping on the DivX logo in the control panel.

RockPlayerBase has the promise to be a great video playback application. Hopefully, the developers will add more support for HD playback from MKV files for more powerful devices coming on to the market. The app currently isn’t available on the Android Market, but you can download the apk for Android 2.1 and 2.2 from here.
Source: FeelAndroid via OMG A

mrgoochio

Reaction score
Weren't previous threads closed because rockplayer's closed beta got leaked out and wasn't supposed to be available for the public? Or was that another forum I was browsing.. hehe.

Just wanted to note, I have tested a version of rockplayer and it had a lot of trouble with flash formatted download's audio playback.

mrgoochio

Reaction score
Yeah with avi and divx playback i had a great experience, however, with flv (flash video) not so much as I previously stated. If they could get that up to par, i would be loving it!

timbck2

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten this to work on a non-rooted Droid Incredible? I downloaded and installed it and I just get a blank screen with "RockPlayer" in a gray bar at the top. It doesn't seem to do anything else.

dragonfly1113

Reaction score
Has anyone gotten this to work on a non-rooted Droid Incredible? I downloaded and installed it and I just get a blank screen with "RockPlayer" in a gray bar at the top. It doesn't seem to do anything else.

did you try pressing the menu button and try to open a file? my first screen was blank too

timbck2

Reaction score

did you try pressing the menu button and try to open a file? my first screen was blank too

Yep, tried that. The Menu button does nothing (I get the vibrating feedback from it, but nothing comes up).

Fault

Reaction score
You cant discuss this openly on the forums. NO ONE POST ANY SITES. Downloading is illegal in most countries, and this forum is not allowed to host that information due to their server rules.

Use torrents. I will be posting a guide how to use torrents on your droid, and how to make them work on your phone. Keep an eye out for it, Ill post it within a week

yatman60

Reaction score
I've had my Incredible for 3 days and I'm running the stock Verizon 2.2 FROYO build (new to Android and don't know anything about rooting).

It installed and worked fine. I downloaded this app called installer from the market place and it seemed to install and work fine for me.