RIP: Verizon Discontinuing Droid RAZR, Droid 4, the 32GB SGS3, HTC Rezound & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
verizon-eol-list-leaked.png

Sadly, it is now time to bow our heads in collective silence as "the end of the line" has come to some of Verizon's best devices. We have a leaked version of Big Red's newest End of Life list. This is for phones that are being discontinued. Here's a breakdown of just some of the phones that have met or are nearing their final power-on,
  • HTC Rezound - fully retired and out of stock
  • DROID 4 - fully retired - final shipments in February
  • DROID RAZR - retired - final shipments received
  • LG Lucid - will be retired on the 15th of February - final shipments then
  • Casio Commando - will be retired May 15th.
  • 32GB Galaxy S III - fully retired and final shipments received
There were a few more, but these are the most notable named phones. In a way, it's not surprising that some of these devices have reached the apex of their lifespan. For example the 32GB SGS3 was an odd device to begin with considering it has a microSD slot. Still, it will be sad to see some of these go. Share your opinions of these devices as a final epitaph...

Source: AndroidPolice

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
The S3 is a shocker actually. The rest are quite old devices, but the S3 is still selling strong. I mean, many places still sell the S2. Oh well, Verizon is craptastic anyways.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
There were a few more, but these are the most notable named phones. In a way, it's not surprising that some of these devices have reached the apex of their lifespan. For example the 32GB SGS3 was an odd device to begin with considering it has a microSD slot. Still, it will be sad to see some of these go. Share your opinions of these devices as a final epitaph...

Not really. Given that Android no longer natively supports moving apps to the SD card, the 32GB model was a great choice for those who want to load up on large apps (particularly games) without worrying about having to root the device. That said, it's not surprising that it's on its way out. Most people want the 16GB model simply because it's cheaper.

As for the rest of the devices, given how far out each one is from its initial release (and the fact that nearly all of them have suitable or direct replacements), I'm not surprised in the slightest by any of them.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
The S3 is a shocker actually. The rest are quite old devices, but the S3 is still selling strong. I mean, many places still sell the S2. Oh well, Verizon is craptastic anyways.

They'll still be selling the 16GB S3. That's the model that the overwhelming majority of people purchase anyway.

silverfang77

Reaction score
When did Android stop allowing people to move apps to the microSD card? My ICS D4 allows for this.

Sad to see my old faithful D4 being retired. It may not have the sex appeal of the Galaxy SIII, but it's worked well for me.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
As for the rest of the devices, given how far out each one is from its initial release (and the fact that nearly all of them have suitable or direct replacements), I'm not surprised in the slightest by any of them.

except the droid 4, and still no word on a droid 5... kinda disheartening. I want a great keyboard phone, one that's on part with the full touchscreen ones... it always seemed like they were just a tiny bit behind in screen size, which sucks I'm blind and need larger screens.

oh well, something may be coming we don't know about.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
When did Android stop allowing people to move apps to the microSD card? My ICS D4 allows for this.

Sad to see my old faithful D4 being retired. It may not have the sex appeal of the Galaxy SIII, but it's worked well for me.

Jelly Bean officially. There are also several devices that didn't allow it on ICS, such as the RAZR and RAZR MAXX.

I'm incredibly surprised to hear that the Droid 4 supports it in the stock ICS software. Does it really move apps to the actual microSD card, or is it reading part of the partitioned internal memory as being an SD card like ICS on the RAZR and RAZR MAXX does?

NeoPhoenixTE

Reaction score
My poor Droid4 isn't that old it seems. It's still on deck for a Jelly Bean upgrade, and it's the first 4G Qwerty phone on Verizon. I'd consider it a solid investment, really.

But, alas, I guess everyone must move on.

I think this means Verizon is no longer selling any Qwerty keyboard phones. That's....actually not good....

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
My poor Droid4 isn't that old it seems. It's still on deck for a Jelly Bean upgrade, and it's the first 4G Qwerty phone on Verizon. I'd consider it a solid investment, really.

But, alas, I guess everyone must move on.

I think this means Verizon is no longer selling any Qwerty keyboard phones. That's....actually not good....

They still have the Stratosphere 2 and the Pantech Marauder.

And I think the original Stratosphere was the first Verizon LTE device with a physical qwerty keyboard. It was released about four months before the Droid 4. But the Droid 4 was the first serious LTE device with a physical qwerty since the first Stratosphere was essentially the year and a half old Galaxy S with a smaller screen and keyboard.

Escobar

Reaction score
No matter what they say, Verizon practically retired the Rezound last year. It was the best 4G phone they had in 2011 going into 2012. They never pushed it, they never gave it the attention it deserved. It was one of the best phones I've ever used. The camera was awesome, the screen was beautiful and boasted a higher pixel density than any phone in the US at the time. It had a nicer looking screen than my S3. But despite promises of an ICS upgrade "early 2012" we didn't see it till August. This phone would have done very well on AT&T. Alas, Verizon got their grubby, unqualified hands on it. RIP

bigdad63

Reaction score
They'll still be selling the 16GB S3. That's the model that the overwhelming majority of people purchase anyway.
I have only got 15.99gb on my 32gb S3.it is obviously just a numbers game. If they were selling enough of them to make it possible to keep producing them then it would not be the end of life. Sigh, I must be an application hog.
hopefully Samsung still offers 32 or 64 gigabyte memory when they do their Galaxy S 4 and the note 3, otherwise I may have to move on to another phone. 16 gigabytes is obviously not acceptable for me when you can't put your applications on your SD card.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I have only got 15.99gb on my 32gb S3.it is obviously just a numbers game. If they were selling enough of them to make it possible to keep producing them then it would not be the end of life. Sigh, I must be an application hog.
hopefully Samsung still offers 32 or 64 gigabyte memory when they do their Galaxy S 4 and the note 3, otherwise I may have to move on to another phone. 16 gigabytes is obviously not acceptable for me when you can't put your applications on your SD card.

What is that 15.99GB referring to? Used storage, unused storage, or total storage?

If it's referring to total storage, you're one of the folks who was cheated by Verizon. The 32GB model was supposed to have 32GB of internal storage. But for some reason (possibly due to high initial demand and low stock), Verizon actually shipped many people who ordered the 32GB model a 16GB model with a 16GB microSD card installed. Everyone that I read about online who had that happen to them was able to eventually get a true 32GB model from Verizon after they complained.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
What is that 15.99GB referring to? Used storage, unused storage, or total storage?

If it's referring to total storage, you're one of the folks who was cheated by Verizon. The 32GB model was supposed to have 32GB of internal storage. But for some reason (possibly due to high initial demand and low stock), Verizon actually shipped many people who ordered the 32GB model a 16GB model with a 16GB microSD card installed. Everyone that I read about online who had that happen to them was able to eventually get a true 32GB model from Verizon after they complained.

I think he's referring to unused storage. Either way I remember when a Verizon rep told me the 32gb model was a 16 with a 16gb sd card. I actually laughed in his face and said that's a pretty expensive sd card. He swore up and down that was correct I had to walk away from the store

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.

bigdad63

Reaction score
I think he's referring to unused storage. Either way I remember when a Verizon rep told me the 32gb model was a 16 with a 16gb sd card. I actually laughed in his face and said that's a pretty expensive sd card. He swore up and down that was correct I had to walk away from the store

Sent from my frozenly delicious razr maxx.

No I definitely HAD 32gb, I've just used half of it already. That's why I'll be sad if they only offer 16gb on the S4 or Note 3 like they did on the note 2. It won't be enough memory for me without apps to sd.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm hoping this means that the Droid 5 is on the horizon. Some specs I hope too see in the Droid 5 besides better cpu and a physical keyboard are a user removable/replaceable battery and NFC. The Droid 4 is nice but tends to suffer from lag and the lack of NFC and non-removable battery just kills it's longevity.

If Motorola continues to turn out phones with non-removable batteries I will be looking at other manufactures for my next Android phone. Motorola's engineers, designers, and developers need to get a clue.