Ringtones, battery life and native apps. Need a how to. Ringtones, battery life and

jester369

Reaction score
My battery life sucks. I use TasKiller pretty regularly and I still get less than twelve hours out of it...

Also would like a free ringtone download source? I had a blackberry curve and used crackberry forums for ringtones, haven't found a good one for Eris yet. (Haven't looked exceedingly hard either though...)

Anybody know how to get rid of native HTC or Android apps? Like MP3 store, stocks and Peep? Tried QuickUninstall and it didn't do the trick...

ShowTime

Reaction score
My first recommendation to help your battery life would be to stop using and uninstall your task killer. Then, the basics: lower screen brightness, lengthen widget refresh rates, turn off sync, turn off wifi and bluetooth, etc.

I use Ringdroid for ringtones. It lets you make a ringtone out of any song you put on your phone.

And you have to be rooted to remove stock apps.

OP
J

jester369

Reaction score
Uninstall TasKiller? I was running about 80% up time on 1.5 when I first got my Eris, installed taskiller and immediately was down to 20% even with moderate to heavy use. I've seen in taskiller that things I never use, like MP3 and Voicedialer are consantly running. Also, how do I shut down the browser and keep it from drawing on the battery after I'm done with it without some sort of task kill app?

I've done the basics like not let facebook sync, take the frequency of exchange and gmail syncs down and adjusted the brightness and the power save time. I only use wifi if I'm actually connected to a network, IE at home or at work, soon as I leave one or the other I turn it off. Never turn on bluetooth, although I will be turning it on now to tether, but I've got the switch to turn it off on my homescreen.

I've heard of Ringdroid but never any kind of good or bad review. Will definitely check it out now.

Still on the fence for rooting, if that's the only pro I'll keep stock and see what other reasons I can find to do it. Don't want to root just for an annoyance.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Do a search for "apps running in background". There's a huge thread talking about why you don't need to worry about apps "running" all the time. It's just the way Android/Linux works. Apps will be "on" but not actively using memory/resources, and are actually just waiting in the background until you call on it again.

When you say your battery life sucks, how long are you getting out of a full charge? A solid 12-16 hours on a full charge with normal usage is pretty normal/decent.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I didn't see if you mentioned what version you're running, but my wife's Eris went from the definition of total crap to 3 days of battery when I installed the 2.1 update. Also put Juice Defender on even though the site says it might not work.

Now she's got way better battery life than me :icon_evil:

OP
J

jester369

Reaction score
I'm running 2.1, sorry.

Very good advice in here, trying a few things, keep the suggestions coming please!