Returning phone to verizon...

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
I searched around, and came up with a few threads that pretained to my issue. I remember seeing one somewhere that was specifically titled something like "everything you need to know to return your rooted phone" but now I cant seem to find it. Maybe it was a different forum? o_O

Anyway. So my screen is cracked, and I just dont feel like going through all the trouble to replace it myself. (Since you have to go in through the back of the phone, take the thing completely apart, just to get to the front of the phone)

So I just have a couple questions. If I unroot using ROM manager, then do a factory reset, wipe cache and data; will that be enough to keep from getting caught by verizon?

I've read in a few different places that sometimes pieces of previous OS iterations can be left behind when you go from one rom to the next; is that true? If so, what can I do to remedy this. I know that alot of the people who work for verizon don't know as much about these phones as some of us on the forums; so them knowing how to snoop around the file system is probably unlikely...but just incase I get the techy who knows this device inside and out, I would like to be prepared.

Thanks guys, and girls...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I searched around, and came up with a few threads that pretained to my issue. I remember seeing one somewhere that was specifically titled something like "everything you need to know to return your rooted phone" but now I cant seem to find it. Maybe it was a different forum? o_O

Anyway. So my screen is cracked, and I just dont feel like going through all the trouble to replace it myself. (Since you have to go in through the back of the phone, take the thing completely apart, just to get to the front of the phone)

So I just have a couple questions. If I unroot using ROM manager, then do a factory reset, wipe cache and data; will that be enough to keep from getting caught by verizon?

I've read in a few different places that sometimes pieces of previous OS iterations can be left behind when you go from one rom to the next; is that true? If so, what can I do to remedy this. I know that alot of the people who work for verizon don't know as much about these phones as some of us on the forums; so them knowing how to snoop around the file system is probably unlikely...but just incase I get the techy who knows this device inside and out, I would like to be prepared.

Thanks guys, and girls...

I'm a bit confused. You have a crack screen correct? Did someone tell you they would replace that for you? Or are you using insurance?

If it's insurance I wouldn't even worry about it. I'd send it back rooted, it's got a cracked screen they are not going to launch an investigation to see if it's rooted.

But if you're just going back to Verizon I hope you're not thinking you're going to get another Droid. Warranty would not cover a cracked screen.

thelion

Reaction score
Yeah...are we talking warranty or insurance? Insurance wont care if you rooted. You can throw the phone against a wall and they'll replace it. Warranty wont care if you did nothing wrong and the screen broke itself - if you rooted and they find out you lose.

OP
mikeofmikes83

mikeofmikes83

Reaction score
Thanks for the link, I knew it was here somewhere.

I spoke with a motorola rep and they said that I could send it to them, pay em $75, and they would replace the screen glass. The glass covering is actually whats cracked, the phone still functions just fine. The rep mentioned that I could take it into verizon and they might potentially give me a refurb. Which I'm thinking would be faster than the 3+ days to ship it to them, the 5-7 days for them to fix it, and the 3+ more days for it to get back to me...

I only dropped the phone like, 3 feet, which is astonishing, because I've dropped it once before while holding it over my head at a concert and the phone was still flawless as the day I took it out of the box. I'm guessing I just dropped it at the exact right angle to make it crack?