Retail droids could possibly ship with faulty cameras

dweezle

Reaction score
i have the clicks as well, but problem is, is that every phone we tried at verion had the same clicking noise. are we sure that this is an issue? we tested 6 phones and two demo phones and they all had the noise...
If you read back in this thread you will see that FAUguy, on howardforum posted a clarification to the clicking issue.

I've found out today that the camera 'clicking' sound is normal, but some units may be louder or quieter, but the hardware isn't defective. The problem with the autofocus not working is purely a software issue and will be fixed in the next software upgrade, expected between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

From what I've read here, and on Howardforums, if there is a problem, it is in the autofocus function of some of the phones. New2u got a phone that focused correctly at first and now is having a problem.

kev83202

Reaction score
I downloaded shopsavvy and barcode scanner and can't get either of them to work, I just constantly goes in and out of focus.

Zippster

Reaction score
Mine doesnt focus for ****, almost always red, my sons focuses green just about everytime....gonna take mine back to Verizon tomorrow to see what they have to "officially" say vs just hoping and waiting on software.

Droidlicous

Reaction score
I think alot of people are making a big thing out of something that is going to be easily fixed. The phone just came out and is going to have some bugs you have to give it time. :motdroidhoriz:

Zippster

Reaction score
I think alot of people are making a big thing out of something that is going to be easily fixed. The phone just came out and is going to have some bugs you have to give it time. :motdroidhoriz:

And hopefully so, while the sky is definitely not falling, people being concerned with issues on their brand new $600 piece of hardware is definitely understandable. ;)

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've only played with the camera a little bit. The video is amazing and the pics are okay but definitely out of focus and the app is really really slow. It is a small (and hopefully soon fixed!) price to pay for this amazing phone.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think the slowness of it has to do with the faulty autofocus part of the software code. I have had pics take really quickly and some take really slow.

tpdroid

Reaction score
If you are hearing "clicking sounds" coming form the camera when the program starts (which I am) then the camera may not have been installed/mounted correctly. Since this is hardware related, only a new unit would be the way to fix it.

Just to clarify for those who dont'/can't watch and listen to the helpful videos...

The "clicking" sound is rapid clicking and could also be described as a "ratcheting" sound.

I only post this clarification because my Droid's camera seems to work perfectly but it also makes a small noise during initialization which could be construed as a "clicking" when the camera is initializing. It is definitely not that awful racket in the videos which no phone should ever make (unless it also comes with standard and metric sockets). But, I wouldn't want anyone heading back to the Verizon retailer asking about what I consider to be the "normal" initialization noise.

kev83202

Reaction score
I've never had my focus turn green once, but some of the pictures look good. It seems that the focus is constantly moving, so if you snap the picture at the right time the picuture turns out good, if not it's blurry.

So I've been shooting 3 or 4 pictures of everything and hopeing one with turn out.

dweezle

Reaction score

The passenger side electric window on my new $280,000 Lamborghini doesn't close all the way. I really don't care, why??? Hell, the rest of the car seems okay and I can still drive it. I just can't drive it in the rain, or park it where the open window might draw unwanted entry. I mentioned it to some other owners and they said, if I'm going to let a small thing like that bother me, maybe I don't truly understand what a wondrous, complex technical machine my car is and should go back to driving a corvette. I must be a true wimp.:soapbox:

muzhik

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OnePlus One
i guess it wasnt' properly **beta** tested before public release... i'm sure they will fix it but the question is WHEN.

jay80z

Reaction score
I'm with you guys. I tried using the app 'key ring' and I don't know what the hell is going. I try to get an image of a rewards card I wanted to scan but all i hear is a a series of mechanical clicks and the view finder is constantly in a state of perpetual focus.

It is annoying, but I am hopeful a solution will be available soon. If not, thankfully we are covered for 30 days.

sethmo

Reaction score
Mine makes the same clicking noises in the video and seems to be hit or miss on focussing :/

Maybe one out of 20 tries will get the green box.

Last edited:

noles200

Reaction score
I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.:mad:

On a mac? Use VLC Player. You can also download a plugin for Quicken to play .avi's but VLC is much better option.