Retail droids could possibly ship with faulty cameras

dweezle

Reaction score
I can feel my feet growing colder by the second. I let myself get swept up into the great Droid void. I was ready to pull the trigger on two of them online, tonight. Now I've decided that I'll let some other folks be the beta testers. :cus: Oh well there is always the next Android, or the one after that. My E815 still loves me.

twiztidglory

Reaction score
i am starting to get worried about the camera clicks. i have rewatching review videos and i can hear their cameras do it on start up but no one mentions it. i wont use it much but if its a hardware issue how annoying is it going to be to try and get a replacement since i am purchasing through best buy

dweezle

Reaction score
I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.:mad:

[video=youtube;-yQNDbRliwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQNDbRliwM[/video]

I put it up as a private video. I think it has a 25 view limit. Hope this helps

EDIT: FAUguy just posted this info on HowardForums.
I've found out today that the camera 'clicking' sound is normal, but some units may be louder or quieter, but the hardware isn't defective. The problem with the autofocus not working is purely a software issue and will be fixed in the next software upgrade, expected between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Last edited:

jcstarr

Reaction score
I am hearing clicking when the camera starts but it is not making that awful sound while autofocusing, in fact I don't hear it at all... does that mean defective or no?:huh:

jcstarr

Reaction score
It's not really clicking, it's more of a digital sound and it is three times really quickly. I dunno.. ??? Hard to tell if something is defective when the camera will hardly focus as it is...

ryanm

Reaction score
I couldn't here it at the store. Now mine is clicking like a mo fo but at first it was a green box alost every picture so I thought t was fine. Now its not able to use the barcode scanncer to read the app code things- i've never used them b4 is there a trick?

dweezle

Reaction score
I doubt the barcode app will work well if there isn't a clear and focused image. It will take a response from someone with the same app loaded in their new Droid to confirm that, though.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I used the barcode scanner earlier and worked fine, now when it tries to focus it's almost like it gets stuck and has to try again. would be consistant with a misplaced camera, maybe catching on a small lip.

jcstarr

Reaction score
I downloaded the barcode app and it took it a moment to auto focus on it but it does work.

abooch1

Reaction score
I am getting the clicks as well and cant seem to focus...i rarely ever get the green bars mostly red..

dweezle

Reaction score
I used the barcode scanner earlier and worked fine, now when it tries to focus it's almost like it gets stuck and has to try again. would be consistant with a misplaced camera, maybe catching on a small lip.

I am getting the clicks as well and cant seem to focus...i rarely ever get the green bars mostly red..

Arghh! What you guys are describing seems close to what the Droid in the video by FAUguy was doing. It just couldn't seem to hold a focus. It just kept seeking focus. Are they similar. I posted a youtube link to his video earlier in this thread.

ryanm

Reaction score
Barcode works everytime, but shopsavvy never has. about 6+ each and i do ss till my hand gets tired each time....same results?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I can't see that video right now as i'm on my work computer, i will look at it on my droid soon and see, but i would imagine it is the same.

topaz330

Reaction score
i have the clicks as well, but problem is, is that every phone we tried at verion had the same clicking noise. are we sure that this is an issue? we tested 6 phones and two demo phones and they all had the noise...