Retail droids could possibly ship with faulty cameras

OP
S

shatteredzman

Reaction score
FAUguy added more information in another post.
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - Motorola Droid: Picture-of-the-Day, Camera Reviews and Issues thread
"
I received a good suggestion that I should record a video of the camera problem.
The first video is with the camera set to auto focus, and the 2nd video is set to macro.
In both cases you can hear the "clicking" when the program starts, and hear the lens moving when trying to focus.
Notice that each time it showed the 4 red corners, meaning it wasn't able to properly focus.
If you turn the focus off (set to infinity) you still get the "clicks" at the beginning, but not when taking the picture (since its not focusing).

Droid Video 1 with Auto Focus 33MB
http://home.comcast.net/~fauguy/droid/droid1.avi

Droid Video 2 with Macro Focus 50MB
http://home.comcast.net/~fauguy/droid/droid2.avi
Sorry for the large files sizes, but not YouTube account
"

Reaction score
so you wont know upon turning on the device. youll have to enter into the picture program and listen for clicking? just want to be clear. hoping the best buy guy doesnt feel like being a hard ass since im not going to be tooooo happy about having to fight for a replacement. especially knowing that pickings are slim im sure.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that was my understanding that you needed to start the program which would initialize the camera and it's components.

pilot25

Reaction score
Okay, how to we start the camera program so we, at least, look like we know what we are talking about.

Looks to me, in the video, we just push the button on the top of the device when tilted sideways.

This is a major f-up in my book. This could be just one problem that has been discovered with numerous others uncovered.

Last edited:

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the videos. Glad I know what to listen for now. I hope we can test out the camera before they go through the whole syncing with gmail process. If I get one with a faulty camera...FML.

Naut Human

Reaction score
I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.:mad:

pilot25

Reaction score
I am unable to view those vids via quicktime. Anyone here able to convert those on youtube or something?

This is not sitting well with me at all. This is going to be my first smartphone purchase and don't want it to be a nightmare. I am starting to think that it may be wise to wait this out...which makes me sad.:mad:

I wish I knew how to do that for you.

It's a distinct 4 clicks when the camera program is coming up. Then there is a bunch of louder clicks while the camera can't focus on the image.

They are talking about the 4 clicks. You can't miss it. Like the other poster said. Don't let the rep do anything until you listen to the camera starting up. Ask for another phone and then another. If the rep gives you gruff, tell him to bad open another.

OP
S

shatteredzman

Reaction score

People still use quicktime? Just download a better video player. I am not a mac user but this should take care of all of your video incompatibilities with quicktime. Perian - The swiss-army knife of QuickTime components

I wish I knew how to do that for you.

It's a distinct 4 clicks when the camera program is coming up. Then there is a bunch of louder clicks while the camera can't focus on the image.

They are talking about the 4 clicks. You can't miss it. Like the other poster said. Don't let the rep do anything until you listen to the camera starting up. Ask for another phone and then another. If the rep gives you gruff, tell him to bad open another.

Its just too bad you have to go through the whole "setting up your account" before you can even get to the camera.

pilot25

Reaction score
Its just too bad you have to go through the whole "setting up your account" before you can even get to the camera.

How do you know that? Additionally, shouldn't matter as long as you don't leave the store without checking. They can set up another account on another phone.

OP
S

shatteredzman

Reaction score

How do you know that? Additionally, shouldn't matter as long as you don't leave the store without checking. They can set up another account on another phone.

I dont know first hand but I am assuming the version of android on the phone works like every other android version that requires you to setup the phone before you can use it which takes a minute or two... its not a big deal but it is a hassle.
Found a picture of what I mean.
3035716609_207229ce81.jpg

Last edited:

ryanm

Reaction score
There is something I read about skipping the account set-up by touching the four corners. I'll try and search for it again.
Page 29

ryanm

Reaction score
Also its easy to hear those clicks when alone at home and no 1 around. I could hardly hear droid when the phone started at the store, and there weren't a bunch of people waiting to buy a droid- hopefully the clicks will be loud enough to hear in the store.

Reaction score
Since you have 30 days to return, I may just wait till I get home to inspect unless it's slow at BB tomorrow night. I'm guessing it's going to be a bear to try to diagnose it in line at a busy store. If there's a problem, I'll just have to return it and go without a phone for three weeks :O

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering if this clicking as ALSO a software issue. YES the click is coming from the hardware but I imagine the software could definitely cause this. Imagine if the lense can move from -.5" to .5" to focus. That is its range of movement. Now imagine the software telling it to keep moving out even though it is already at .5". I'm sure it would click as it hits its max or the case around the camera or whatever.

Just an idea. Software could fix the whole thing, but I have no knowledge of the camera or software on this phone so I could be 100% wrong and all these phones have bad cameras. :(

pilot25

Reaction score
Since you have 30 days to return, I may just wait till I get home to inspect unless it's slow at BB tomorrow night. I'm guessing it's going to be a bear to try to diagnose it in line at a busy store. If there's a problem, I'll just have to return it and go without a phone for three weeks :O

Probably a good idea. However, only if the replacement device is a new Droid. Not some referb POS. I believe it is a new one until the 30 days expires. Then you you are under the warranty where they will give you a referb. They did that with my BB.