Retail droids could possibly ship with faulty cameras

b8b

Reaction score
So how do you backup the Droid before taking it back? I have it all loaded and setup the way I want. Sigh. Stupid Moto.

sethmo

Reaction score
Have they fixed the issue? No point in taking your phone back just to get another defective one.

(I haven't read through this entire thread yet)

OP
S

shatteredzman

Reaction score
i have the clicks as well, but problem is, is that every phone we tried at verion had the same clicking noise. are we sure that this is an issue? we tested 6 phones and two demo phones and they all had the noise...
If you read back in this thread you will see that FAUguy, on howardforum posted a clarification to the clicking issue.

I've found out today that the camera 'clicking' sound is normal, but some units may be louder or quieter, but the hardware isn't defective. The problem with the autofocus not working is purely a software issue and will be fixed in the next software upgrade, expected between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

From what I've read here, and on Howardforums, if there is a problem, it is in the autofocus function of some of the phones. New2u got a phone that focused correctly at first and now is having a problem.

Check out this post.

joe06gt

Reaction score
went to verizon today, said there is a software upgrade scheduled for dec 11 to fix camera issues. they claim it is all software related and not hardware

Zippster

Reaction score
I've never had my focus turn green once, but some of the pictures look good. It seems that the focus is constantly moving, so if you snap the picture at the right time the picuture turns out good, if not it's blurry.

So I've been shooting 3 or 4 pictures of everything and hopeing one with turn out.

Same boat here, my sons which I purchased at the same time as mine, goes green all the time and works great, mine ..red..red..red. I just returned from the Verizon store where the tech said a Hard Reset has helped some of them, but obviously wipes everything you have on the phone. Well thats all it did for mine was wipe everything, camera still red. I didnt ask for an exchange, YET as he said there is a software rollout coming soon to fix this. I made sure they noted in my account though that I was already in for this problem.

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
I think alot of people are making a big thing out of something that is going to be easily fixed. The phone just came out and is going to have some bugs you have to give it time. :motdroidhoriz:

And hopefully so, while the sky is definitely not falling, people being concerned with issues on their brand new $600 piece of hardware is definitely understandable. ;)

For sure! I'm not throwing a fit about it, but I'm definitely concerned. Mine was $644 before the discounts hit, so I'd like for everything that came with the phone to function as it was meant to function.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
went to verizon today, said there is a software upgrade scheduled for dec 11 to fix camera issues. they claim it is all software related and not hardware

I'm still going to go to verizon and have them mark on my account that i'm having issues with my phone and if that software package doesn't help that they need to exchange my phone out for one that does.

Zippster

Reaction score
Software rollout on 12/11 puts all of us over 30 days according to my math.....:huh:

They should really get some "official" announcements of the issues and suggested time frame of fixes out asap.

dweezle

Reaction score
When I asked at the Verizon store about the software update. I was told that the Motorola time frame for a software fix was between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but that Verizon would have to their own "testing" before they release it, and that would add time to the process. This was from a tech in my local Verizon store. I doubt that he was doing any more than simply saying, "Don't hold us to any deadline". I don't think anyone can really know exactly when a fix will come. I do think that Verizon and Motorola have good reason to fix any bugs that arise, quickly.

I will wait and see what happens.

I think that if you can live with the phone, in whatever shape it is now, enjoy it, and use it in good health. If you are going to constantly be aware of your phone's imperfections, return it, if you can, and maybe try again later.

kyoo

Reaction score
Sounds like we'll all have to wait for the software update. Will this be downloadable through About Phone > System Updates, I'm hoping?

Matt

Reaction score
Mine takes in-focus pictures even when the bars don't turn green. I think I've read this thread, but has anyone mentioned that you should press the camera key halfway down to engage the autofocus, and then snap? My pictures all seem clear if I do that, regardless of the bar color.

Mine also clicks.

OP
S

shatteredzman

Reaction score
I am sure the update will happen automatically at some point but you will probably be able to apply the update manually before it is released as an automatic update.

Zippster

Reaction score
Mine takes in-focus pictures even when the bars don't turn green. I think I've read this thread, but has anyone mentioned that you should press the camera key halfway down to engage the autofocus, and then snap? My pictures all seem clear if I do that, regardless of the bar color.

Mine also clicks.

Cant speak for everyone, but I believe the vast majority of digital cameras have been that way for quite awhile now so its a given about half click for auto focus and only way your gonna get the red or green.

Having 2 droids at my disposal ( myself and my son ) I can say that there is indeed a difference between the green and red autofocus pictures, his goes green np, mine....red.

Danthok

Reaction score
Mine is definitely having the auto-focus problem. However I do not find this worthy of returning my Droid right now with the chance of receiving another faulty camera.

I am going to report it to Verizon so they know I had the problem then wait for the official word on whether it is a software/hardware issue. If the problem goes away in a couple of weeks when the new batch comes out then I will exchange it.

Everything else seems to be working well so I am happy for now.