Restoring OG Droid

edan

Reaction score
My OG droid is getting slower and slower so I was going to do a factory reset and wipe the SD card so I can start from scratch. Does anybody have any info on the best way to go about doing this? I would like to be able to keep my data from my apps and games so I don't have to redo everything like starting games from the beginning. Is there a way to save that data? My phone is stock (not rooted) and running froyo 2.2.2. Guess I'm more of a newb than I thought. :D Thanks for any help that's offered. Love this Forum.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I copied and pasted this. Its been so long since I've seen stock recovery, I forgot the steps.

1. Power down the DROID by holding the power button and then selecting Power Off

2. Hold the X key on the keyboard and turn the power back on, keep holding down the X key until you see a yellow triangle icon

3. Now close the slider and hold down the Volume Up button, then press the Camera button while still holding volume up

4. A menu will appear and one of the choices will be "wipe data/factory reset" -- use the direction pad on they keyboard to select this option

5. Scroll down using the direction pad to the "yes" option and select it with the d-pad select key

Your Motorola DROID will now be wiped clean of all data and settings, with the exception of the data stored on the microSD card.

There's an option in settings/storage for clearing the sd.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

OP
E

edan

Reaction score
what order?

Thanks. Should I wipe the SD card first and then do the factory reset? I know its going to be allot of work re-installing all my apps but I want to erase everything on both internal and external memory.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
If you're going to wipe everything, I don't think it matters what you wipe first. Your apps are linked to your Google account. They will be under My Apps in the market when you sign back in.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

skipbl92

Reaction score
I know how to wipe/factory reset, but what I need is a factory build to restore my phone too and then remove root. Suggestions?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know how to wipe/factory reset, but what I need is a factory build to restore my phone too and then remove root. Suggestions?

If you look in the rescue squad section, there is a guide that covers this.

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter

rancur3p1c

Reaction score
I don't think wiping will matter that much if you:
1. Clear your dalvik cache. I think there are other caches to clear too. There's an app for that. I did that once and was surprised at the results...but first
2. Download OSMonitor and figure out which apps you have installed which are loading themselves up in the background and doing stuff. When they do this while you're browsing the web or using the phone, the phone slows down. Whichever apps you have syncing, turn off the sync, reboot your phone and ensure they don't start up again. If they do, uninstall them.
Uninstall the stock email app if you don't use it. It loads up even if no email accounts are configured. Unistall the gallery app and replace with quickpic. Faster, lightweight, and doesn't load up in the background. You get the idea here...your phone will be lickity split if you can remove the apps that mine data in the background.