Remove Advanced Task Killer from the droid x

jtreez30

Reaction score
Why did I remove the advanced task killer from my droid x and my phone automatically stoped acting up? When I had atk installed my phone would run slow, shut down by itself and act real glitchy. No more atk!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think he was giving the up to removing it not wondering why he did. Saying his phone runs better now since removing it.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why did I remove the advanced task killer from my droid x and my phone automatically stoped acting up? When I had atk installed my phone would run slow, shut down by itself and act real glitchy. No more atk!
By far the best first post yet dancedroid Welcome to the forum

msuperbauer

Reaction score
I had all those issues too, removed the task killer and my phone lasts all day with NO hickups!! BOOOOO talk killers!!

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I understand

I have all of the posts on why to get rid of task killers, but no one has addressed leaving it installed in the background. Meaning, I used ATK to kill apps that I know don't shut down properly when I exit, don't have a real "exit," and ultimately kill my battery (eg: connect four (a very stimulating adult game)).
I have autokiller turned off, and I only kill apps occasionally (once every other day).
The question: is having ATK installed bad or is it just using ATK or autokiller the bad thing?
I suppose I could figure out the apps that give me a hard time and close the app the old fashioned way, but this is a lot easier.....just curious.

chrisanderin

Reaction score
I have all of the posts on why to get rid of task killers, but no one has addressed leaving it installed in the background. Meaning, I used ATK to kill apps that I know don't shut down properly when I exit, don't have a real "exit," and ultimately kill my battery (eg: connect four (a very stimulating adult game)).
I have autokiller turned off, and I only kill apps occasionally (once every other day).
The question: is having ATK installed bad or is it just using ATK or autokiller the bad thing?
I suppose I could figure out the apps that give me a hard time and close the app the old fashioned way, but this is a lot easier.....just curious.

Having it installed is not the bad thing, using it is.... Droid OS is made to close apps, even connect 4, when it becomes the least used of all that you opened. I have personally tested the method with and without the ATK, and my phone has the same amount of battery life without the ATK and runs smoother. Several OS developers state that killing apps like that in this type of OS is bad. Download OS Manager from Market and look at what is running and what is ACTUALLY using CPU usages (which is what drains battery). The whole thing "its running in the background so its running down my battery" is simply a myth, if you want PM and I can explain more in detail.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Typically, task kilers cause more problems (force closes apps, drain battery, laggy) than the solve. The Android OS was designed to handle dormant apps and does a great job. Therefore, most feel there is no need to use a task killer or try to manually stop any app.

Hope this is helpful.

Mike

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
I understand

Yes, thank you for the replies. I have been reading all of these posts and have watched all of the movies since this became a discussion on July 15th, and understand the concept behind not using task killers, which is why I don't use it but to occasionally kill an app that I feel didn't close properly.

I used connect 4 as an example bc one day my battery drained very quickly and when I looked at what was using my battery, connect 4 was at 85 or 90% with screen at 4% and so on...so now I use ATK to kill connect 4 when I am done with it bc something didn't close it when I was done with it and it literally did use up my battery. Maybe this was a freak incident.
It really doesn't matter, bc I don't use it that much, I have autokiller turned off, and I don't have any major problems (other than wifi) that I can attribute to ATK.
BUT, if you all say that apps in the background (which I am perfectly fine with and understand the thoughts behind Droid OS), even if they are physically running (like I think connect 4 was) do not use up my battery (even if it said 90% was used by connect 4), then I will delete it for good with the hope that my X will run even better than it already runs (Woo Hoo!), instead of just "not using it that much."

good dialogue, though, and with more people starting to get theirs off of the wait list (particularly newbies), and Verizon still telling people to install task killers, this is an important conversation to keep on the first page