Remote Keyless Entry via NFC or something similar?

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
So my wife's new car uses the new key-less entry and start system that is so popular these days.
(key in your pocket, walk close to car and it unlocks, push button start, key never leaves pocket)
Unfortunately I already lost the second key on the beach this past summer, and replacing the key will cost me an arm and a leg. I know the RKE systems use low frequency radio signals to preform these actions, and that cell phones operate on higher frequencies. What i am curious about is the possibility of using the new NFC technology, or something similar to duplicate the signal typically put off by the fancy key.
I am pretty sure nothing does this today, because i have searched quite extensively, and all i find are the silly stories about sending the signal through cell phone calls, which is bunk.
Has anyone heard any talk of such an idea. Seems smart since i could almost never loose my cell phone, and it will always be with me, thus killing two birds with one stone.
Thoughts?

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I don't see anything like that being possible with the way NFC currently operates. The only remote entry/start stuff I've seen for cars from cell phones has information transmitted over the internet, and the car has to have a special built-in system specifically for it.

bar99

Reaction score
So my wife's new car uses the new key-less entry and start system that is so popular these days.
(key in your pocket, walk close to car and it unlocks, push button start, key never leaves pocket)
Unfortunately I already lost the second key on the beach this past summer, and replacing the key will cost me an arm and a leg. I know the RKE systems use low frequency radio signals to preform these actions, and that cell phones operate on higher frequencies. What i am curious about is the possibility of using the new NFC technology, or something similar to duplicate the signal typically put off by the fancy key.
I am pretty sure nothing does this today, because i have searched quite extensively, and all i find are the silly stories about sending the signal through cell phone calls, which is bunk.
Has anyone heard any talk of such an idea. Seems smart since i could almost never loose my cell phone, and it will always be with me, thus killing two birds with one stone.
Thoughts?
Unfortunately, any process like the one you describe will be very attractive to the less than honest people on this planet.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
Things like OnStar and such. Is that internet based? Sure would be cool. It wouldn't be an app, more like a, take you phone to Toyota, and have them program it in the same way they program a new key. Or an NFC ignition tag on the steering column. Seems like similar technology. Key must be within ten feet of the car or so. I just get so tired of lost keys, never lost my cell phone.

I can see it being attractive to the wrong people, but the wrong people are always going to find ways around current technology. At least they wouldn't be breaking the window to steal it, or ripping apart the steering column to tie wires together. Its not like they don't steal cars now. I saw "Gone in 60 seconds."

Just thought that since they can encrypt credit card info on Google wallet(which isn't full proof) i would think someone would figure out how to do the same thing for cars. I would pay for an add-on to the car if it meant not having to carry around a set of keys anymore.
And why do keys need to be so big. Flatten it out like a credit card, and build it into a cell phone case. Just thinking outside the box.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, any process like the one you describe will be very attractive to the less than honest people on this planet.

+1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
looks like Chevy didn't listen to the naysayers. saw this commercial while watching football yesterday. unlocking chevy sonic with cell phone. figured this was coming soon. lets hope more car manufactures follow the idea.

[video=youtube;glr03eoXGAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glr03eoXGAU[/video]

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Honestly, my dads car was stolen with the traditional method. He took it to a shop to get it worked on, somebody there had"a buddy who knows somebody" who copied the key and the electronic sender attached to the key. They can still do it to the current security methods, i doubt it would matter what security methods there is.

Sent from My Droid RAZR MAXX with Tapatalk.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
looks like Chevy didn't listen to the naysayers. saw this commercial while watching football yesterday. unlocking chevy sonic with cell phone. figured this was coming soon. lets hope more car manufactures follow the idea.

[video=youtube;glr03eoXGAU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glr03eoXGAU[/video]

That's a little different than what you're asking about. It's the sort of thing I mentioned in my post above where there's a special system in the car, and the information is transmitted online.

OP
DroidBoardr

DroidBoardr

Reaction score
That's a little different than what you're asking about. It's the sort of thing I mentioned in my post above where there's a special system in the car, and the information is transmitted online.
Wasn't contradicting you sweetness. I am aware that this is car specific, but it is along the same lines, which is why i titled the thread "or something similar." this is more directed at those who suggested that this wouldn't happen because thieves would take advantage of it.