Redesigned Motorola Droid Bionic looks confirmed in Best Buy leak!

Beardface

Reaction score
Good.. two more impatient nownownow droid owners not tainting the bionic pool.... Thinning the herd is a good thing ; )
Actually I'm an ex droid owner, currently with the TB :icon_wink:
For me, it's very difficult to own a locked device. All of my phones have been HTC, I like having access to other kernals that's all. To someone that doesn't care about overclocking,undervolting etc. a locked device is perfect.

Yes, but look at all of the locked bootloaders that have been rooted. Id be 100% fine using a flagship phone for 3 months in all its technological superiority until it is rooted by community devs. Overclocking is irrelevant on a device that will already be ONE of the fastest on the market. undervolting may help battery life sure...but whyis it absolutely necessary immediately.
No way... After dealing with the TBolt, I will buy an unlockable bootloader at any chance before buying one thats locked down and encrypted. Rooting is nice, but without being able to load up Custom ROMs, you're at the mercy of the carrier and manufacturer. Imagine the firestorm that HTC and Verizon would be under right now if people couldn't work around their bungling of the Thunderbolt in causing chronic rebooting due to a pushed OTA with no released or leaked fix in the past 2 and a half months since it was initially broke.

Without being able to load Custom ROMs, in my opinion, any phone released in the future is a POS in waiting.

BGKris

Reaction score
For me, it's very difficult to own a locked device. All of my phones have been HTC, I like having access to other kernals that's all. To someone that doesn't care about overclocking,undervolting etc. a locked device is perfect.

Yes, but look at all of the locked bootloaders that have been rooted. Id be 100% fine using a flagship phone for 3 months in all its technological superiority until it is rooted by community devs. Overclocking is irrelevant on a device that will already be ONE of the fastest on the market. undervolting may help battery life sure...but whyis it absolutely necessary immediately.
No way... After dealing with the TBolt, I will buy an unlockable bootloader at any chance before buying one thats locked down and encrypted. Rooting is nice, but without being able to load up Custom ROMs, you're at the mercy of the carrier and manufacturer. Imagine the firestorm that HTC and Verizon would be under right now if people couldn't work around their bungling of the Thunderbolt in causing chronic rebooting due to a pushed OTA with no released or leaked fix in the past 2 and a half months since it was initially broke.

Without being able to load Custom ROMs, in my opinion, any phone released in the future is a POS in waiting.

^
^
^ What he said. Couldn't have said it any better. :)

bplewis24

Reaction score
If it doen not have a locked bootloader, i'll get it. Otherwise forget it...

Here are the four unanswered questions for me that may help determine if I buy this on launch day, or hold out hope for the Nexus Prime in November:

1) Bootloader unlockable/relockable or not?
2) RGB Stripe/SuperLCD qHD, or Pentile qHD screen?
3) LED Notification Light or not?
4) 4.3" screen or 4.5"?
5) Soc: 4430 or 4460?

The last one isn't a huge deal, just a matter of being on the bleeding edge or not. If the first 3 are satisfactory I'll buy it regardless.

Having said that, the bootloader will likely be unlocked at some point in the near future regardless if it's locked down at launch or not. And there won't be any custom ROMs cooked up for a while anyway.

Brandon

BLeClair12

Reaction score
Anxiously awaiting all the details behind this. I've had my original Droid for almost fourteen months now and it's starting to show signs of its age.

I've been saying for a while that the Bionic would be my next phone, now its just a matter of finding out if it'll be worth jumping on.

Locked or unlocked bootloader is irrelevant to me, as I don't really have much interest in delving into that side of things.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState

Aren't there Custom ROM's for the DX which got rooted and unlocked?

nonnasmyladie

Reaction score
Website
www.leonhascal.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
Nonnasmyladie
I think moto is screwed if they lock it.

Their attitude of if u root go elsewhere wont get them sales

sent from my thunderbolt

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I think moto is screwed if they lock it.

Their attitude of if u root go elsewhere wont get them sales

sent from my thunderbolt

It would hurt sales, but not by much.
The majority of the people either don't know what a locked bootloader is, or don't really care.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I can see a mod coming along any second...lol I wont comment on any of the bootloader stuff tho.

Just patiently waiting for this phone to come out to see if I will like it.

Beardface

Reaction score

Aren't there Custom ROM's for the DX which got rooted and unlocked?
Yep, I believe so...

But believe me, an unlocked bootloader (or at least one that isn't encrypted and has already been cracked prior to purchase) will be a requirement for me in the future. HTC and Verizon has bungled the TBolt so badly with their handling (or lack thereof) with the rebooting crisis they created in the first place by releasing a faulty OTA. If not for Custom ROMs, this phone would essentially be no more useful than a paperweight with its 5-7 reboots per day that people are noticing. The ONLY way to stop them is to load a stable Custom ROM.

I don't care how awesome the hardware is for a phone, I don't care if its dual core, quad core, 3D, etc. If the bootloader is encrypted, I want no part of it, because on the chance the carrier screws up on an update, you literally have no options to fix it other than to take it back and get a "Certified Like New Replacement" (i.e. former lemon of a phone thats been "fixed" by a third party phone insurance agency) while you wait out your 2 year contract. No thank you.

Chatchie

Reaction score
I hate that it looks like the Droid 1 Ive been carrying for 2 years. I liked the "other" version better. I might pass on this, whats the next super-hyped phone coming out?

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hate that it looks like the Droid 1 Ive been carrying for 2 years. I liked the "other" version better. I might pass on this, whats the next super-hyped phone coming out?

Pass it on for what? There will always be something bigger and better around the corner. The trick is finding one you can stay with for a while. For people who want dual core and LTE right now, the answer is the Bionic. But you can keep waiting for that bigger and better version which will soon be in the same shoes as the Bionic.

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
What does everyone think about the bionic compared to sg 2?
The Bionic will be dual core and LTE. It is not clear whether the Gs2 will be LTE.

I think everyone's been saying it's too thin for LTE...at least the way the unlocked version looks now. The reason the Charge, Thunderbolt, and Revolution are so thick is because of both the CDMA and LTE radios inside.