Recent GPS issues

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I live in Northern Virginia, about 40 min from Washington DC. Last week as I was driving to work, I looked at my Beautiful Home widget, it stated my location was Chicoutimi. Not sure how it said that, so I went in to Refresh the widget, the location updated to say I was now in Saint-Simon-les Mines.

So I turned the phone on/off. Location still said Saint-Simon-les Mines. Not knowing where these 2 places are, I goggled them and discovered they are just outside of Quebec.

Later in the day when I returned to my car, my location was correct.

Last night, I was lying in bed. Glanced at my phone and saw it said I was in Pine Creek. Again, a location I had never heard of. Just out of curiosity, I opened c:geo, which I use for geocaching. It was still set to locate caches near my house. The distances were about 450 miles away. I refreshed the nearest caches and saw that they were all located near Pine Creek, Indiana. Five minutes later I refreshed the widget, and my location was again correct.

So in the past week, my phone has mistakenly thought I was located in both Quebec and Indiana. Both places that I have never been. has anyone else had any problems with their GPS being off by 100s of miles? Anyone know why this is happening?

I usually don't have any problems with my GPS, its usually really accurate. I've noticed its accurate within 7-10' when I use the GPS for geocaching.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like it's not using your GPS receiver and is falling back on the alternate methods of determining your location. GPS is very accurate.

You might want to try GPS Status or a similar app to see what's going on with your GPS receiver. I'm willing to bet it just can't get a fix for some reason.

aristo1963

Reaction score
if your GPS dish is flashing it is not locking a signal. If solid it should be locked on. Sometimes in maps mine will just flash so I close it and open GPS status which usually allows it to lock.after that maps will work.

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
if your GPS dish is flashing it is not locking a signal. If solid it should be locked on. Sometimes in maps mine will just flash so I close it and open GPS status which usually allows it to lock.after that maps will work.

Is GPS status a free or paid app?

sonicxtacy02

Reaction score
I'm in NOVA too and a few days ago it showed me in delaware lol. I havent had a problem since. The prior user is right if it cant get a satellite lock it can easily show the wrong location.

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Gotta make sure you have GPS on. Couple of weekends ago I was going to a family friend's house, and maps said I was totally far from where I really was. I checked, and I didn't have GPS on, once it was on though my location was correct.

Said I was in Manhattan *where I live* I was in Ottisville, which is in Orange County NY. About 80 miles from there

OP
vthokies1996

vthokies1996

Reaction score
I always have GPS on (meaning the option is checked under the GPS settings). So in my cases of it saying I was in Quebec and then Indiana, it was not because the GPS was turned off.

Arkainzeye

Reaction score
this happened to me 2 weeks ago when i was in kansas. it said i wasin Ky... no matter what it wouldnt tell me the right place UNTIL i took the battery out, counted to 10 and restarted the phone. and then all was good again