Google maps/latitude and GPS problems...

utoypia

Reaction score
I have an unrooted Droid Charge.

When I originally set up my phone, I also set up Google Latitude. It gave me the options to choose the accuracy of the GPS setting. It had 3 or 4 options. The ones I can remember are- About using cell tower (less accurate, uses less power)... The other I can kind of remember, Use GPS/phone location/etc... (uses most power, most accurate). Currently, this option is NOT in the options menu. I originally chose less power option. But, I want to change it back to most accurate.

Currently, my gps location is not always correct and the only time it is always completely accurate is when I have wifi enabled...

My blackberry, I chose the most accurate option and it it always accurate to "3 meters".

Btw, I am not referring to the "Location Reporting" menu.

Is there a way to fix this without hard reset?

I tried to uninstall Google Maps but, the only option was to uninstall updates. Once I did, it updated automatically within a few mins. Is there a way to COMPLETELY remove the program then reinstall?

thank you your help!

P.S. I know cell tower and wifi are not gps.
Yes, Settings-location is for the phone itself. Latitudes has options when you first set up latitude on your phone (not the automatic detect, set location,hide location menu). The options screen im looking for has a list of accuracy options. The last option on that screen says something like- gps+cell (most accurate, uses most power). This is the menu I am looking for...

I even tried to hard reset the phone thinking id see that screen again but, seems as if lungs already knew my settings so I wasn't given those particular options. Perhaps took settings from my email address. With my blackberry, anytime I had to hard reset, I had to reinstall latitude. Everything I did, that screen in looking for would pop right up. The app gives you those options, not the phone location settings...

I know I repeated some things. I posted this topic on another website and I kept getting a run around without an answer... Any help would be appreciated!

P.P.S... What would be the benefits of me rooting my phone?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
It gave me the options to choose the accuracy of the GPS setting. It had 3 or 4 options. The ones I can remember are- About using cell tower (less accurate, uses less power)... The other I can kind of remember, Use GPS/phone location/etc... (uses most power, most accurate).
You don't choose accuracy of GPS. That's set by the US government. GPS specifically refers to GPS. Cell tower triangulation, WiFi and other methods of determining your location that do not use the GPS satellites are not GPS.

Currently, this option is NOT in the options menu. I originally chose less power option. But, I want to change it back to most accurate.
You're looking in the wrong place. It's not in the app options. It's in your device's settings. Try Settings->Location & security and you should see the options. Latitude will use whatever you have enabled.

P.P.S... What would be the benefits of me rooting my phone?
Please refer to existing threads. This is one of the most commonly asked questions.