Received this lie from VZW support

fishmstr

Reaction score
And to top it off the phone number for samdung has been disconnected.

"Dear xxx

Thank you for contacting Verizon Wireless via our Website, my name is Tonya. I know how important it is to make sure that your software has been updated to the current version. I do apologize for your frustrations but Samsung has not released any new software updates for this device to Verizon Wireless yet. I have provided you with the number directly to Samsung 1-800-987-4357.

Lastly, I took the liberty of further reviewing your account services. I was able to determine, that based on your current usage, you are on the best plan and features for your wireless communication needs.

If you should have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to contact us by dialing *611 send from your handset, 1-800-922-0204, or via email.

I make it my personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. I hope I have done that for you today by providing you with the information to contact Samsung directly in regard to a software release. We appreciate your business and thank you for being the best part of Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Tonya
Verizon Wireless Internet Team "

My response
:For starters please don't lie to me, updates DL30 and EB01 have been leaked and if I had a mind to I could go to XDA developers website and load it on my phone but I prefer to wait for the real OTA update. If it had not been released to Verizon it would not have been updated complete with Verizons bloatware. Secondly the phone number you gave me for Samsung is disconnected. So please if you don't know what your talking about don't make up stuff."

OP
F

fishmstr

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Samsung, and they say MAYBE next week. Why do I have such a hard time believing them.

What I have learned is it will NOT be coming from VZW. Samsung will be pushing it out OTA, so it looks like we can't blame big red for this.

bluevolume

Reaction score
Let me say that I share your frustration and anger. Angry with Verizon, Samsung, etc; this delay with no real explanation is ridiculous. But, you're missing a couple pieces in how Verizon works with their phone manufacturers.

First thing is that Verizon does not actually develop/build the software releases. This is done by the manufacturer, even down to the 'bloat' that Verizon asks them to put in there. The completed package is sent to Verizon, they test it, and upon acceptance its deemed ready for release. If DL30, EB01, etc; show up at Verizon's door and there is anything they don't like, its back to Samsung for another release.

Second thing is that while Samsung may manufacture the Fascinate, it is a Verizon product. Samsung cannot release a software update without Verizon's approval, since its Verizon's responsibility to support the phone. If Samsung sent an update directly to your phone and it screwed it up, it could easily cost Verizon hundreds of thousands in support costs. Its in the contract, no way - no how.

Thirdly, the Verizon support people do not know much about upcoming software releases, and what they do know they aren't supposed to talk about. They are not allowed to acknowledge a software update until it is available for public consumption, even if they know its coming tomorrow they aren't supposed to tell you. It prevents them from promising something that might not come, and it gets people off the phone quicker. You might be angry, but you will hang up the phone once you are convinced the support person doesn't have any info to give you.

What do I make of all this, related to our Fascinates? Samsung has build a few release candidates, and for whatever reason Verizon has chosen to not release them. Could be some nasty bugs that aren't getting squashed, new problems that are showing up in regression testing, or Verizon just hasn't made it a priority yet to send out an update. We'll know a lot more once the update is finally released, since the build number can be translated to an actual calendar date. If EB01 is what we get, that was built on Feb. 1st. But if we end up getting EB22, or even EC10, we'll know that they have been continually working to get a satisfactory build before they roll it out.

MissDixie256

Reaction score
I got the same exact letter from a gentleman named MATT on the phone. It was almost as if he just read it out off a book! (I am SURE he did.. But sheesh!)

smokie11

Reaction score
I got the same exact letter from a gentleman named MATT on the phone. It was almost as if he just read it out off a book! (I am SURE he did.. But sheesh!)

I also have a Tonya letter sent to my phone,I was criticized in another thread for being angry at Samsung's robotic non-answer to my only question that I have ever asked: Are you working on the Froyo update for the Fascinate? Never asked when.

I work for a company that is larger then Verizon and Samsung. My customers ask me for informatiom every day. Information I am not allow to release, I simply and honestly say I am not permitted to answer your question, when I can, I answer honestly.

It is insulting and degrading to have company reps. actually lie to their customers...that is the reason for my anger, dishonest answers.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I also have a Tonya letter sent to my phone,I was criticized in another thread for being angry at Samsung's robotic non-answer to my only question that I have ever asked: Are you working on the Froyo update for the Fascinate? Never asked when.

I work for a company that is larger then Verizon and Samsung. My customers ask me for informatiom every day. Information I am not allow to release, I simply and honestly say I am not permitted to answer your question, when I can, I answer honestly.

It is insulting and degrading to have company reps. actually lie to their customers...that is the reason for my anger, dishonest answers.
First of all, Bluevolume was right on. As a former VZW rep, I can tell you that if we know something we are bound by NDA to not disclose something. I can also tell you that "Tonya" did not run up to the Data Support floor and yell "hey, does anyone know anything about the new software update for the Fascinate". Even if Tonya knew something about a release, she is bound by NDA again not to disclose. More than likely, she had no idea what you meant. Again, as Blue said, the software updates are sent to VZW, who tests them out, and if there is an issue the manufacturer corrects it.

Was the O.P. lied to - absolutely not. Did Tonya know anything about what the O.P. or Matt or whoever you've talked to at VZW either on the phone or via email know anything, 99.9% chance they did not. If it's not in their Infomanager, then they wouldn't know anything about it. They did their job, it just wasn't the answers you wanted.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
+10

First of all, Bluevolume was right on. As a former VZW rep, I can tell you that if we know something we are bound by NDA to not disclose something. I can also tell you that "Tonya" did not run up to the Data Support floor and yell "hey, does anyone know anything about the new software update for the Fascinate". Even if Tonya knew something about a release, she is bound by NDA again not to disclose. More than likely, she had no idea what you meant. Again, as Blue said, the software updates are sent to VZW, who tests them out, and if there is an issue the manufacturer corrects it.

Was the O.P. lied to - absolutely not. Did Tonya know anything about what the O.P. or Matt or whoever you've talked to at VZW either on the phone or via email know anything, 99.9% chance they did not. If it's not in their Infomanager, then they wouldn't know anything about it. They did their job, it just wasn't the answers you wanted.

DroidForums Junkie!!

smokie11

Reaction score
As a former VZW rep, I can tell you that if we know something we are bound by NDA to not disclose something. I can also tell you that "Tonya" did not run up to the Data Support floor and yell "hey, does anyone know anything about the new software update for the Fascinate". Even if Tonya knew something about a release, she is bound by NDA again not to disclose. More than likely, she had no idea what you meant. Again, as Blue said, the software updates are sent to VZW, who tests them out, and if there is an issue the manufacturer corrects it.

Nobody is asking Verizon nor Samsung for the "meaning of life" ok?, just are you working on the damn thing YES or NO. If the so called customer tech support employees job is to NON DISCLOSE information, then just simply fire them all and when a customer calls and wants an answer just play a recorded message that states: WE DO NOT DISCLOSE INFORMATION , NOR WILL WE ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

That would be far more honest than the Tonya letters... by the way I am not angry.:) I just have no patience[mod edit]:)

viking805fan

Reaction score
True, is rooting the phone even worth it? Just in case we dont get froyo

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
this nonsense of helplessness about the update is ridiculous. take control of your lives and stop blaming a phone rep who is just doing their job. i am also sick of hearing that "it will void my warranty".

my answer to these complaints- there is plenty of help here no newbies for flashing and it takes about 15 min. after you flash, if you have a problem with your phone, flash it back to stock and return it! or just buy an iphone and join the iherd. they will take whatever is shoved their way so maybe it's a better option for you.

android id for rooting, end of story!

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
As a former VZW rep, I can tell you that if we know something we are bound by NDA to not disclose something. I can also tell you that "Tonya" did not run up to the Data Support floor and yell "hey, does anyone know anything about the new software update for the Fascinate". Even if Tonya knew something about a release, she is bound by NDA again not to disclose. More than likely, she had no idea what you meant. Again, as Blue said, the software updates are sent to VZW, who tests them out, and if there is an issue the manufacturer corrects it.

Nobody is asking Verizon nor Samsung for the "meaning of life" ok?, just are you working on the damn thing YES or NO. If the so called customer tech support employees job is to NON DISCLOSE information, then just simply fire them all and when a customer calls and wants an answer just play a recorded message that states: WE DO NOT DISCLOSE INFORMATION , NOR WILL WE ANSWER YOUR QUESTION.

That would be far more honest than the Tonya letters... by the way I am not angry.:) I just have no patience[mod edit]:)
I ask you please keep it clean in the forums.

Please re-read what I posted, NDA forbids giving out information that you might be privvy to. Lets say you flip hamburgers at McDonalds and you know a new burger is coming out, and are told to not say anything because you're part of the testing, are you supposed to say yes if someone says "hey smokie, you're the best burger flipper at McD's, tell me if that rumor is true about the burger that they're coming out with.

OP
F

fishmstr

Reaction score
this nonsense of helplessness about the update is ridiculous. take control of your lives and stop blaming a phone rep who is just doing their job. i am also sick of hearing that "it will void my warranty".

my answer to these complaints- there is plenty of help here no newbies for flashing and it takes about 15 min. after you flash, if you have a problem with your phone, flash it back to stock and return it! or just buy an iphone and join the iherd. they will take whatever is shoved their way so maybe it's a better option for you.

You don't get it do you? It's not about rooting or not rooting yada yada yada. It's about holding VZW to proper customer support, they may say they work for VZW but in reality WE pay their paychecks. I will not sit by and be treated like crap by a company without letting my thoughts be known to them.

forstir9

Reaction score
You don't get it do you. Where is the proof that Verizon promised you this update. Hold Verizon accountable for what? The update has only been speculation from everyone else besides Verizon. That is why Verizon chooses not to give specific dates. They pretty much say they don't have information on the update. That isn't okay because people want specific dates, then when that date comes than people complain that they didn't get it. They can't win with some people. Yes they could release the update instead of being picky about Samsungs release but they are bring picky. The update has been released, use it or don't but stop complaining when you do have a choice now.

Reaction score

You don't get it do you? It's not about rooting or not rooting yada yada yada. It's about holding VZW to proper customer support, they may say they work for VZW but in reality WE pay their paychecks. I will not sit by and be treated like crap by a company without letting my thoughts be known to them.

i get it, there is a brand new iphone waiting for you at att, enjoy!

OP
F

fishmstr

Reaction score
You don't get it do you. Where is the proof that Verizon promised you this update. Hold Verizon accountable for what? The update has only been speculation from everyone else besides Verizon. That is why Verizon chooses not to give specific dates. They pretty much say they don't have information on the update. That isn't okay because people want specific dates, then when that date comes than people complain that they didn't get it. They can't win with some people. Yes they could release the update instead of being picky about Samsungs release but they are bring picky. The update has been released, use it or don't but stop complaining when you do have a choice now.

Since when do I need to prove ANYTHING to YOU. And where is the proof YOU know they are being picky? And who are you to tell anybody what to do? Who died and left you GOD. Don't like it don't read.