Received letter from Verizon Rep regarding TB.

drumice

Reaction score
Not sure if it'll quell some of your anxieties. But I just received the e-mail shortly after returning from my lunch break.

Hey everyone,

If you are receiving this email you specified to me that you would like more information on the HTC Thunderbolt at our Wauwatosa Verizon Wireless store. We had an informational event last Sunday and found out a lot about the device. I will explain some of the highlights, but let me first tell you that we do not have an actual release date for it yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming days.

As far as the actual phone is concerned the Thunderbolt will have up to 18 different languages you can use on the device, so if you were thinking about learning a different language here is your chance! The phone itself will have different skins that will change the look and feel of the device completely which is a first for Android devices. Bitbop will be available for the device which is an equivalent to VCAST Videos currently, where you can have TV shows and sporting events right on your device.

The coolest thing we found out about the device is that you will be able to simultaneously talk and go on the internet and complete data transfers both on our 3G and 4G networks which is awesome! I have had iPhones in the past, and now am an Android guy, and just playing with the Thunderbolt it feels like a very impressive phone. I will definitely be getting this phone for myself when it comes out! If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me either through email or by phone xxxxxxx

Thanks!
Bob xxx

Last edited:

derekmiller12

Reaction score
Not sure if it'll quell some of your anxieties. But I just received the e-mail shortly after returning from my lunch break.

Hey everyone,
If you are receiving this email you specified to me that you would like more information on the HTC Thunderbolt at our Wauwatosa Verizon Wireless store. We had an informational event last Sunday and found out a lot about the device. I will explain some of the highlights, but let me first tell you that we do not have an actual release date for it yet. Hopefully we will know more in the coming days.
As far as the actual phone is concerned the Thunderbolt will have up to 18 different languages you can use on the device, so if you were thinking about learning a different language here is your chance! The phone itself will have different skins that will change the look and feel of the device completely which is a first for Android devices. Bitbop will be available for the device which is an equivalent to VCAST Videos currently, where you can have TV shows and sporting events right on your device.
The coolest thing we found out about the device is that you will be able to simultaneously talk and go on the internet and complete data transfers both on our 3G and 4G networks which is awesome! I have had iPhones in the past, and now am an Android guy, and just playing with the Thunderbolt it feels like a very impressive phone. I will definitely be getting this phone for myself when it comes out! If anyone has any questions please don't hesitate to contact me either through email or by phone xxxxxxx

Thanks!
Bob xxx

I was wondering what it means by different skins?

benner

Reaction score

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Bob xxx

Sounds like it'll have and internal and external skeleton to the phone and you'll be able to change the exterior skeleton. Wonder if you can use it without an exterior on it?

craigboy

Reaction score

Hey everyone,

Thanks!
Bob xxx

The "awww yeah!" video shows the skins feature

derekmiller12

Reaction score
So like the battery cover to change the color and stuff or am I totally lost on whats going on? lol

razor2006

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is referring to the skin that the UI is running. Think of it like an advanced Scenes on current Sense phones.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Yes the "skins" are like themes for Sense.

Sent from somewhere...

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They're saying you can surf and talk on the phone with 4G or 3G. I don't know how that is possible on 3G after all the training I did while a VZW employee.

cnmsales

Reaction score
Maybe it takes data and voice on one radio and does the internet and etc on the other?

TheOldFart

Reaction score
They're saying you can surf and talk on the phone with 4G or 3G. I don't know how that is possible on 3G after all the training I did while a VZW employee.

Is that because 1X and 3G use the same antenna and radio? If so, could they just have 2 identical radios, one for 1X and one for 3G? If that is possible, then the TB would have a total of 3 radios.

rage151

Reaction score

Is that because 1X and 3G use the same antenna and radio? If so, could they just have 2 identical radios, one for 1X and one for 3G? If that is possible, then the TB would have a total of 3 radios.
Simultaneous voice & data over 3g is possible:

HTC Thunderbolt might be getting simultaneous voice and data on 3G after all -- Engadget#

New lease on life: 3GPP2 publishes CDMA2000 1X Advanced spec -- Engadget Mobile

PapaDr0id

Reaction score

From what little I understand on the subject it does require different radio over what has been used in the past. And as far as I know the TB is the first phone to have a CDMA radio capable of this. I have also heard though that while using the simultaneous voice and data over CDMA on the TB that the voice quality is subpar. But I posted a link below from CDG stating that simultaneous voice and data are possible.

CDG : News & Events : CDG Press Releases

Reaction score
Read up on my post in this forum...

The TBolt does does simultaneous voice and data on both 3G and I would have to assume LTE.

The "Skins" referred to is essentially like a set of stock themes for the phone. It changes the status bar color, weather/clock, app drawer and background. (If you have used apps like ADW Launcher, you will know what I am talking about.) It isn't the most amazing feature ever, but a nice little thing to have none the less.