Recap of Quad-Core phones coming out this year with potential release time-frames

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Upcoming-quad-core-phones-recap.jpg

This year will see the beginning evolution of dual-core phones to quad-core phones, and there have been a slew of them announced already from several manufacturers, including LG, HTC and Samsung. There are even some new folks to the party. We will see quad-core devices from Huawei, ZTE and Fujitsu at some point. If you are excited by the prospect of all the new Android superphones that are coming soon, then here is a handy itemized list of the quad-core phones that have been announced so far:
  • LG Optimus 4X HD (June release) - Comes with a NVIDIA Tegra 3 - a large 4.7" True HD IPS screen display with a regular RGB matrix and 1280x720 pixel resolution - a 2150mAh battery
  • Huawei Ascend D quad (July release) - Their new series is called the "Diamond" series - Huawei includes its own ARM-based quad-core chipset, called the K3V2 running at 1.2-1.5GHz - 4.5" HD LCD display with 720x1280 pixels of resolution - 8.9mm slimness - an 8MP BSI camera, and a huge 2500mAh battery
  • HTC One X (April release) - quad-core Tegra 3 (dual-core in the AT&T and Sprint LTE versions - and maybe in a Verizon version because of supposed incompatibility issues with the LTE radios in the U.S.) - a 4.7" HD IPS LCD display - elegant polycarbonate unibody - a vastly improved camera module using HTC's new proprietary ImageChip - incredibly fast and allows you to shoot pictures while capturing 1080p video
  • ZTE Era (July release) - Android 4.0 ICS our of the box - NVIDIA Tegra 3 chip clocked at 1.3GHz - 1GB of RAM - 4.3-inch qHD display - 8MP camera with 1080p video capture
  • Fujitsu Arrows Ultra (Summer/Fall) - 4.6" HD display - LTE connectivity - 13.1MP camera with ultra high 25600 ISO sensitivity for better low-light pics - water and dust resistant - DLNA and HDMI-out capabilities for wireless and wired media streaming - Android 4.0 ICS and Tegra 3 (Hmmm... LTE and Tegra 3... wonder if they figured out something that HTC couldn't.)
  • Samsung Galaxy S III (June/July) - Custom Exynos 4412 quad-core chipset - oxidized aluminum chassis and ceramic metal coating - HD Super AMOLED Plus 4.7-4.8-Inch display utilizing a regular RGB matrix - truly buttonless front - advanced battery life optimizations - custom system-on-a-chip with the LTE radio embedded in the Exynos chipset
That's an impressive list of devices. I am sure that many of us are mostly focused on the SGS3; however, some of these other devices look quite good as well. From the Huawei with its own in-house custom quad-core to the potentially amazing cameras on the HTC One X and the Fujitsu Arrows Ultra, we will have some interesting devices to choose from throughout this summer and beyond. Sound off which of these devices intrigue you the most.

Source: PhoneArena

barski

Reaction score
Huh, no Motorola Devices up there. Good.

I'm looking forward to the SGSIII.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
Exciting stuff, but let's prepare for the upcoming crapstorm of complaints on battery life and lack of apps that utilize all four cores lol. I will stick with my dual core outdated hunk-o-moto that I am more than satisfied with at the present time:p I have an upgrade collecting dust, but think I'll stand pat unless one of these phones blows us out of the water.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exciting stuff, but let's prepare for the upcoming crapstorm of complaints on battery life and lack of apps that utilize all four cores lol. I will stick with my dual core outdated hunk-o-moto that I am more than satisfied with at the present time:p I have an upgrade collecting dust, but think I'll stand pat unless one of these phones blows us out of the water.

Actually tegra 3 chips consume less because they have a 5th core for low intensity functions

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Actually tegra 3 chips consume less because they have a 5th core for low intensity functions

^^ What he said. And I was under the impression that the OS is what controlled the use of the multi core chips, and not the app itself.

bmplekan

Reaction score
Is there any word of which ( if any) of these are coming to Verizon?

nadav64

Reaction score
I still wonder why we need four core beasts for a cellpho .

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
I still wonder why we need four core beasts for a cellpho .

You can never have too many cores! :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

barski

Reaction score
I have yet to be impressed with any device with the Tegra 2. I really don't expect much of the Tegra 3 and from what I've seen of it already I'm not impressed.

Its to bad that a company doesn't take the Apple approach, yes APPLE approach. Build 1 main phone, work most the bugs out of it, give it amazing hardware, nice slick design, and make it smooth. Yes i know the iPhone has bugs, but it's nothing compared to Motorola, or HTC devices when they launch. Releasing phones every time something new becomes available isn't helping them. For example the Droid X2, ooooo a Tegra 2 processor. Motorola says slap it in a phone and ship it out. they did, and it's ****. Another is Asus with the first prime.

One of my friends asked me to jailbreak their iPhone 3G, i was honestly shocked at how smooth it was and when i pressed on anything. Everything opened right now, not in 2 seconds, now. I've owned an iPod touch and sold it a year ago, but it was shocking to see how smooth that device was compared to my Moto's running custom roms.

Not an apple fan at all. All in on Android.

Crankintopwater69

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have yet to be impressed with any device with the Tegra 2. I really don't expect much of the Tegra 3 and from what I've seen of it already I'm not impressed.

Its to bad that a company doesn't take the Apple approach, yes APPLE approach. Build 1 main phone, work most the bugs out of it, give it amazing hardware, nice slick design, and make it smooth. Yes i know the iPhone has bugs, but it's nothing compared to Motorola, or HTC devices when they launch. Releasing phones every time something new becomes available isn't helping them. For example the Droid X2, ooooo a Tegra 2 processor. Motorola says slap it in a phone and ship it out. they did, and it's ****. Another is Asus with the first prime.

One of my friends asked me to jailbreak their iPhone 3G, i was honestly shocked at how smooth it was and when i pressed on anything. Everything opened right now, not in 2 seconds, now. I've owned an iPod touch and sold it a year ago, but it was shocking to see how smooth that device was compared to my Moto's running custom roms.

Not an apple fan at all. All in on Android.
Very well said sir.I too had an Apple 4s,and was truly inpressed how smooth it is,even when running all the apps I have rite now on my Nexus.We can all agree, that Appple has done some shady stuff,but when it come to their hardware and softwear,its one of or the best in the biz.

alboboy10

Reaction score
What exactly is so great about iPhone hardware? Cause I hear it a lot that they have amazing hardware but unless I have the wrong definition of hardware then I just don't see it at all.

Also every friend I have that jail breaks their iPhone has problems. Jail broken iPhones are only good for one thing...free apps. As far as stability goes they suck!

Android is the opposite. Hacking makes it far better. So the iPhone becoming smoother after hacking it is in your head not a real thing because I'm pretty sure hacking your iPhone is not done for performance enhancements. Just for cydia and instalous and whatever else they use for free apps

nadav64

Reaction score
You can never have too many cores! :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

More cores == bigger battery,appropriate os,appropriate apps, and overall more expense.

johnh123

Reaction score
More importantly, which of these phones, if any, is verizon going to get?