RDS Data issue with FM Radio?

xmguy

Reaction score
RDS Data issue with FM Radio? (w/ Video)

Some may notice this. The FM Radio RDS (what some stations use to display station call letters, artist and song, etc) on the Droid X2 is AWFUL! It displays bits and pieces of letters and numbers one at a time unrelated to the artist, song or station that it's on. This is the result no matter how close or far the FM Station is. The Droid X I had (Before GB update and Blur update) The FM Radio RDS was VERY limited would display only if a station sent the data a specific way. After the GB update RDS on the Droid X worked like a Dream. Now on the X2 with Froyo it's worse than it was on Droid X with Froyo. Where the X would display correct SOME info. X2 displays NONE of the correct info. Does anyone know a fix, way to import the GB Blur FM app to the X2? I really love the FM Radio and the RDS is a MUST have for me. Ideas?

Demo Video: [video=youtube;njoGeQLX5JU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njoGeQLX5JU[/video]

Last edited:

scannerballs

Reaction score
Looks to me that the phone doesn't like the scrolling PS data on the RDS systems. It's looking for text data which is defined with the artist and title. The scrolling PS data is the the station transmitting 8 characters at a time of artist and title info.

Stations are not supposed to send information that way anymore but most of them still do. Not a whole lot you can do about it.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Looks to me that the phone doesn't like the scrolling PS data on the RDS systems. It's looking for text data which is defined with the artist and title. The scrolling PS data is the the station transmitting 8 characters at a time of artist and title info.

Stations are not supposed to send information that way anymore but most of them still do. Not a whole lot you can do about it.

It doesn't with the old Droid X FM Radio app. The same thing where the station ID PS would show. But only the rest would scroll if the station used it. It would also reset the stream everytime the data for PS not TEXT reset. On GB on the X it would display both correctly. PS would scroll text by text. then the TEXT would scroll below that. Still reseting as the 8 bit info cycled.