Razr still has charging issues. Is it the phone?

gamer6592

Reaction score
So lately my phone has had charging issues, basically it does not like to charge. It takes at least an hour and a half to charge ten percent when it is plugged in. I downloaded a battery monitor widget and saw that when it is plugged in it sees that it is plugged in but it says discharging in red until I use my task killer. After I use the task killer it says charging 0mA. once in a while it will surge and say like 1080mA and then jump up and charge ten percent. Is this a phone issue? It is supposed to say 500-something mA isn't it? The reason I am concerned is because it has been doing this since I got it the other day and I lost my razr charger so I have been using the one from my thunderbolt. It shouldn't matter that much though, since both phones require a lot of juice, right? It couldn't be from using the thunderbolt charger messing my battery up right? If I do a claim on my phone and get a new one should I refrain from using my thunderbolt charger or should it not make a difference? I can't really afford a new charger so does this sound like a defective phone? Thanks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

gokartmozart

Reaction score
I've had periodic issues of mine not charging past a certain percentage after it's been on the charger all night long. Not sure what to do, my "Worry Free" period is up on Tuesday. I'm really liking the Droid RAZR, but I don't want to have to mess with this problem as an ongoing thing. Verizon said I can either take a refurbished one or pay $35 for restocking to get a new one, which of course is BS, I bought a new phone from them with problems, they should give me another new phone. Not only that, but I have to go to the Verizon store for the new phone and they want to see mine have the problem, but it only happens once or twice a week. I've never had this much trouble with returning an item with a cell phone company; I'm new to Verizon and I'm not impressed. Another strange thing I noticed today, which made me think it's the charge meter. Today when I got up it was at about 70%, but then later I looked at it and it was 100%.

Gamer - what are you killing with your Task Killer? What battery widget are you using? One thing I discovered is that Motorola only shows 10% increments. I'm new to Moto phones, so this was news to me. Kind of a pain.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Gokart, you should try to persuade Verizon, inform then what they should do, they have alot more they can do than charge you for something you already bought. when my girlfriend bought her Env3 they started requiring that phone to have a 10$ dataplan, she fought with them and managed 6 months free dataplan, it can be done

gokartmozart

Reaction score
Gokart, you should try to persuade Verizon, inform then what they should do, they have alot more they can do than charge you for something you already bought. when my girlfriend bought her Env3 they started requiring that phone to have a 10$ dataplan, she fought with them and managed 6 months free dataplan, it can be done

Cool. Thanks for the advice! I'm going to visit a friend of mine in another town, I might try visiting their Verizon Store and hopefully find someone more easy to work with.

gokartmozart

Reaction score
I did find an app that graphs the battery level. I installed it yesterday and when I got up this morning, the phone was at 80%. I looked at the graph and saw that it stopped charging at 60% for about half the night and then started again. Good clue I would say. We'll see if the Verizon Store sees this as enough evidence. If not, I also installed a discharge app to run it down. After a few attempts, eventually it will have to show up in their presence.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
I must be lucky, I've had no problems, my widget is sometimes behind on what the battery actually is, but it always gets to 100% using both the included charger and my car charger I bought with my DROID X, along with the charger for my friends og Droid and Charge, I guess I should buy a lotto ticket!

usm116

Reaction score
Alright guys, I am a razr owner too. Here is my experience
I used my dorid 1's travel charger for razr (takes whole night to charge)
I used charger provided with razr (takes several hours too)
I tried motorola rapid wall charger ( the one which came with droid 2's dock) Superb result, charging completes under 90 minutes
I used computers at my workplace via USB: slow charging, sometimes the phone just heats up and doesnt charge much
I tried my power bank 5000mAmp battery, I doesnt charge at all (does a fine job with droid 1)

I assume droid razr takes some extra power to charge, the BEST OPTION IS MOTOROLA'S RAPID WALL CHARGER.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Mine needs to be rebooted to charge at times. It's not all the time, but sometimes it will not charge when I plug it in and I have to reboot.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Alright guys, I am a razr owner too. Here is my experience
I used my dorid 1's travel charger for razr (takes whole night to charge)
I used charger provided with razr (takes several hours too)
I tried motorola rapid wall charger ( the one which came with droid 2's dock) Superb result, charging completes under 90 minutes
I used computers at my workplace via USB: slow charging, sometimes the phone just heats up and doesnt charge much
I tried my power bank 5000mAmp battery, I doesnt charge at all (does a fine job with droid 1)

I assume droid razr takes some extra power to charge, the BEST OPTION IS MOTOROLA'S RAPID WALL CHARGER.

I agree that staying with Motorola's chargers is ALWAYS best, and the one with the Droid 2's Dock is a good choice. I have the Motorola's Rapid Vehicle Power Adapter, and it too charges quite quickly. I am curious as to why the PowerBank doesn't work. What VOLTAGE does it put out, not mAh, but V? I know some chargers put out 5V, and some put out 5.1V. RAZR wants 5.1V.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I did find an app that graphs the battery level. I installed it yesterday and when I got up this morning, the phone was at 80%. I looked at the graph and saw that it stopped charging at 60% for about half the night and then started again. Good clue I would say. We'll see if the Verizon Store sees this as enough evidence. If not, I also installed a discharge app to run it down. After a few attempts, eventually it will have to show up in their presence.

And that app was??? Pray tell! :hail:

SGTSCHU

Reaction score
Make sure to use the supplied charger us the best advise. I've had great service from support. Had a new phone shipped because of the beeping during calls. I wanted to work through the problem more, tier 2 said to try a new phone first. Your problem may have been the person at support. Try a new person. While they seem to stay away from battery use concerns, ensure they are aware it is a charging issue, not battery issue, hence a bad phone.