Razr MAXX WiFi Hotspot problem?

MaXGTS

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to upgrade my Droid OG to the Maxx. The one thing that's holding me back is a message a user posted regarding the wifi hotspot on his newly rooted Maxx. This is what he said in another thread:

Hacked the Hotspot just like I did on Razr. On the razor it worked great. On the Maxx it do ok until I pull something big like streaming netflix. Then it gets all goofy and locks the phone up untill I reboot. USB tethering still works fine. I did do the update on the Razr before I tried using hotspot yesterday. The Maxx doesn't have an update yet. I have read that the update was to address the hotspot issues that the Razr was having. Does anyone know if this is right?

Can anyone else who's also rooted their new Maxx try to replicate this issue with their phone? This is THE main thing I plan on using as soon as I get the Maxx. It's there's an issue, I'll have to hold on to my Droid OG until it's resolved. So, who else is experiencing this problem?

I also found this on Verizon's support forum:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/742320

Last edited:
OP
M

MaXGTS

Reaction score
Wow, 164 views and not a single response to try and figure this out. Way to go, A+ for effort!

:yahoo:

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Wow, 164 views and not a single response to try and figure this out. Way to go, A+ for effort!

I would take the lack of response to mean that most people looking at the thread are in the same spot as you...looking at getting the phone, but have no answer for you since they don't own it. It might be better to post in the Razr forum as there are a lot more viewing that forum.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I would take the lack of response to mean that most people looking at the thread are in the same spot as you...looking at getting the phone, but have no answer for you since they don't own it. It might be better to post in the Razr forum as there are a lot more viewing that forum.

Good answer. Also since the phone's been out for what, a day?! Perhaps there's just not that many that root their phone before they've gone through their first charging cycle. 0.0

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sarcasm is not necessary. You can make your point with out insults.

Thanks for saying it. I had also typed a similar reply but chose not to send it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

pappatech

Reaction score
I'm just about ready to upgrade my Droid OG to the Maxx. The one thing that's holding me back is a message a user posted regarding the wifi hotspot on his newly rooted Maxx. This is what he said in another thread:

Can anyone else who's also rooted their new Maxx try to replicate this issue with their phone? This is THE main thing I plan on using as soon as I get the Maxx. It's there's an issue, I'll have to hold on to my Droid OG until it's resolved. So, who else is experiencing this problem?

I also found this on Verizon's support forum:
https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/742320

Ok....wanted to test it for a while before I posted prematurely again...:p...installed the .173 update and even though I have heard some complaints from others, so far I have none. In fact it doubled my speeds, which for 4G are not real good but that is probably due to the area I live in. Before I was getting like 11mbps down and 8 up ofr something. Now I am getting 20 down and 12 up. Hot spot hack is working, everything seems stable. It has only been about 3 hours but I noticed the problems before right away. I will say this, and I don't know if it had anything to do with it or not, when I got my razr it had .744 on it and I had to update to .748 then I did the hack. Everything worked. ON the maxx it came with .748 on it, I did the hack and it did not work stable. I fastbooted back to .744 then ota to .748. After that I applyed the .173 update and everything has been blissful since. Hope this helps.

OP
M

MaXGTS

Reaction score
Where did you get the .173 update for the MAXX ?

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I can tell you that the Hotspot is still screwed up on the Maxx just like the Razr, if you use the VZW $30 monthly option. Verizon supposedly is working on a solution. I cancelled my hotspot service yesterday because of it.

OP
M

MaXGTS

Reaction score
I can tell you that the Hotspot is still screwed up on the Maxx just like the Razr, if you use the VZW $30 monthly option. Verizon supposedly is working on a solution. I cancelled my hotspot service yesterday because of it.

So the legit hotspot has problems accessing certain websites but the rooted wifi tether doesn't have any problems?

Last edited:

jrpbulk

Reaction score
What is it with people like you? I guess you think this is your own private support group and that your are entitled to immediate answer.

I know you are frustrated but come on! Then you go and ignore the nice push back replies. enjoy "all" the voluntary support you will get from this community.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Phoenix111

Reaction score
What if you root and install open garden? I pay for the mobile hotspot unlimited $30 per month, so not having that feature functional would be a problem. But if I could root and use open garden then I would be content. Appreciate any thoughts if any razr/razr maxx owners know the answer.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
So the legit hotspot has problems accessing certain websites but the rooted wifi tether doesn't have any problems?
Since I haven't rooted mine yet (I'll probably be rooting it this week end), I can't tell you that the "illegal" hotspot works, but I can tell you that the Verizon approved hotspot does not work on all sites. I complained to everyone at Verizon and I held out until the Maxx came out, then I went and tested the Maxx in store with the manager, sales person, and head technician watching me I showed them all that the hotspot was broke. Then, after I explained and demonstrated, they went and found out from the second level techs that yes, the hotspot is broke and they are working towards a solution, but have NO idea when one will be available. So, moral of this story? If you need to run a WiFi hotspot on the Razr, root and run an illegitimate one.

OP
M

MaXGTS

Reaction score
Scottysize, what are some of the websites that don't work with the legit hotspot? I'd like to have a rooted user try those sites out with the non-legit hotspot and see what happens.

pappatech

Reaction score

No...it still has problems. I ran it for about 8hrs yesterday and had no problems. Today it is on again off again. Not consistent. Right now it is fine but connecting seems to have issues. Once I get connected, as stupid as this sounds, if I start off browsing web pages, checking email etc. and then go to to something heavier like steaming video it does fine. But if I connect and go directly to Netflix or try to download anything too big right off it disconnects and has issues. Like it needs to warm up :blink: . Trust me, I have a BS in computer science and I know how this sounds. But I have tested this about 10 times now and it seems to be legit. As for the .173 update... DROID RAZR Android 2.3.6 update (6.12.173) leaks, Install without root | TalkAndroid.com . This is really bothering me now, I will do some deeper-than-i-wanted-to-dig digging now. I'll keep you posted.