Razr Maxx Questions

reefdiver777

Reaction score
Motorola Razr Maxx
I have tried researching but no luck so far.
1. I created several folders, Navigation, Tools, Games, Reference. In each folder I have added apps. How do I change the look of the folder icon?
2. What is the difference between folders and groups?
3. In My Gallery, I would like to catagorize the pics, such as Family, Friends, Events. Can this be done?
4. Also, I want to add a short cut icon for a specific contact to the "desktop" of my phone, can this be done and if so, how?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
reefdiver777 said:
Motorola Razr Maxx
1. I created several folders, Navigation, Tools, Games, Reference. In each folder I have added apps. How do I change the look of the folder icon?
3. In My Gallery, I would like to catagorize the pics, such as Family, Friends, Events. Can this be done?
4. Also, I want to add a short cut icon for a specific contact to the "desktop" of my phone, can this be done and if so, how?

If you are using the stock home launcher, then somethings are limited. If you want to do more, then look in play store for other home launchers. I have tried many but now stick with Go Launcher because it does a lot.

For the stock launcher:
1. I haven't figured out a way to change the folder icon but if you go into your app drawer, you can set up a group, call it what you want, go the drop down menu on the upper left and pick an icon, add the apps you want included in that group and save it. Once it is saved you can long press on that group folder and at it to the home screen. In Go Launcher you can create a folder on your home screen then long press it and change the folder icon.
2. I believe the only difference is folders you create on your home pages and groups you create in your app drawer but once created in your app drawer you can add them to your home page.
3. In your gallery you can create albums and add pics to your album. You can also download apps that will let you create albums and those albums will be recognized in your gallery also. Apps to check out... quick pic, fish bowl, 3d gallery, etc. Some apps are easier than the stock gallery to create albums.
4. Suprisingly, I haven't figured out how to do this on stock except for adding the favorite contacts widget which will contain all your favorites in that widget. This is something Go Launcher can do and there are apps you can download that will do the same.

Hope this helps in getting you started. Have fun with your phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Motorola Razr Maxx

1. As noted by TisMyDroid, I don't think you can do this with the stock launcher. Third-party launchers from the market will allow you to change many aspects of your homescreen, including this.

2. I use a third-party launcher, so I'll stick with what TisMyDroid said here.

3. Put the pictures in appropriately named folders on your SD card or in the internal memory. Mine are in my internal memory. I have a folder in the main directory named "Pictures" and inside that folder are my subfolders - Family, Friends, Events, etc. The pictures for each category are in the subfolders. Then when you open up the gallery and tap "My library," the folders you created will be there.

4. Long press on your homescreen -> Shortcuts -> Contact -> select contact. Or, if you want to do a direct dial/direct message instead of bringing up options for the contact when you tap the picture on your homescreen - Long press on your homescreen -> Shortcuts -> Direct dial (or Direct message) -> select contact.

And, while these particular questions can be answered by RAZR and MAXX owners (and the answers can also be beneficial to both), for future reference there is a MAXX forum for questions directly related to the MAXX - Droid RAZR MAXX.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your phone!

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bsweetness said:
3. Put the pictures in appropriately named folders on your SD card or in the internal memory. Mine are in my internal memory. I have a folder in the main directory named "Pictures" and inside that folder are my subfolders - Family, Friends, Events, etc. The pictures for each category are in the subfolders. Then when you open up the gallery and tap "My library," the folders you created will be there.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy your phone!

Thanks, this seems a lot easier than what I've been doing!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Pretty much going to mirror what everyone else is already saying, but here it goes anyway.

1. I use GoLauncher and love it to death, there are countless ways to customize your phone over the stock launcher. I use one folder on my main page to have quick access to my most used apps as pictured below. Also you can change that icon based on the theme you download or change it to something else to your liking.

View attachment 50469

3. I am going to second or third the use of QuickPic it is my favorite after market gallery APP, with again tons of options.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I think you guys have this one covered lol. So I'll add this. Good morning guys :D

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Zandar

Reaction score
What they said: GO Launcher and QuickPic. It'll take you maybe a half hour to set things up, but you'll feel like it's a whole new device. Plus there's so much customization that you can easily change things up if you get bored with your UI. All this without root, too.

-Sliced from my RAZR

OP
R

reefdiver777

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to the people who answer my questions. Apparently this is a much nicer forum than the EVO forum.
Sorry, I did not see the Razr MAXX Forum, I will look better next time.

In case this might help someone, what I like to do on my home screen is make a few folders, named Navigation, Reference, Tools, Games.
In the Navigation folder, I put all apps relating to navigation, gps compass. In Reference, I put apps such as the constitution, e-book reader, YELP, Dictionary. I find it helpful, perhaps someone else will too.

Again, thanks for the responses.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Thanks to the people who answer my questions. Apparently this is a much nicer forum than the EVO forum.

This is the best forum around, hands down. I read this forum pretty much all day everyday, far less depressing than reading the news in the morning.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
reefdiver777 said:

In case this might help someone, what I like to do on my home screen is make a few folders, named Navigation, Reference, Tools, Games.
In the Navigation folder, I put all apps relating to navigation, gps compass. In Reference, I put apps such as the constitution, e-book reader, YELP, Dictionary. I find it helpful, perhaps someone else will too.

I do the same thing. It is very convenient and doesn't clutter up your home screen. Give Go Launcher, Go SMS and Go contacts a try. I think you will love them. Will do everything you want.

Hi 94lt1, Syd, bsweetness and Zandar...and welcome to a great forum Reefdiver!

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
reefdiver777 said:

Just so you know, the Razr and the Razr Maxx are identical phones except for the battery so pretty much anything that applies to one applies to the other, unless your talking about cases and car docks (because Maxx is a bit bigger and won't fit Razr cases, etc). So if you see ideas or suggestions in the Razr forum it will also work for your Maxx.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just so you know, the Razr and the Razr Maxx are identical phones except for the battery so pretty much anything that applies to one applies to the other, unless your talking about cases and car docks (because Maxx is a bit bigger and won't fit Razr cases, etc). So if you see ideas or suggestions in the Razr forum it will also work for your Maxx.

Hey tis.... my maxx is better than your maxx :p lol... so Nana Nana boo boo LOL!

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!

Zandar

Reaction score

With something like GO Launcher, you can also up your number of homescreens. I sometimes will set it up so that I have a dedicated screen for Navigation, Reference, Games, Contacts, etc. You can set a motion (I have it set as "swipe up") to get to a preview view of your screens, so it's really simple and convenient to select between screens, too.

Right now, I have many of these features set to me dock (the icons at the bottom of the screen). I have three rows set up that I can swipe between: communication/main (phone, browser, app drawer, GTalk, GVoice), navigation (Maps, Navigation, Compass, Navigate to my house shortcut, folder with MyTracks/SkyMaps/Latitude/etc.), and photo (Camera, HDR+ camera, QuickPic, PicSay Pro, and Droid Light). Makes it very convenient, if somewhat difficult for my wife to navigate when she takes my phone.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
. Makes it very convenient, if somewhat difficult for my wife to navigate when she takes my phone.

That is funny I run into the exact same problem, my wife has a Droid Pro with stock GB. When she grabs my phone to do something on it she has no idea what any of my icons are.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Hi 94lt1, Syd, bsweetness and Zandar...and welcome to a great forum Reefdiver!

A fine morning to you sir and my other forum brethren, and another welcome to the forum for Reefdiver!!