RAZR (MAXX?) questions: Email app, News app, calendar

jeffx

Reaction score
Hello! I have acquired a RAZR MAXX and had a few annoyances/questions that I was hoping you all could shed some light on.

1) News app: a) why is this crap always running in the background? I've never used it. b) When I do try to use it, instead of the expected News/Weather that comes up on my old Droid 1, you get a blank list with an Add button. Click that and you get a nice Motorola Terms agreement, where they state they will save everything about you, including your passwords. Am I misunderstanding this? I'll go find other news apps, but what happened to the standard Android news app?

2) Email app: The non-Gmail 'Email' application worked fine on my old OG Droid. Now when I set up my Yahoo account in this app, I get an email in the Inbox (Universal Inbox?!) which is from Verizon explaining how they have taken over my crap. This email does NOT show up in my actual Yahoo inbox, so is Verizon/Motorola now copying my email to their server and cacheing it for this app? I don't remember accepting any terms for this. To make things even more useful, any test emails I send to my Yahoo account do NOT show up on my phone Inbox, no matter how long I wait or refresh.
I have found the Yahoo Email app, but can someone explain what has happened to the standard Android alternate email app?

3) Any calandar replacement recommendations? I don't have any main issues with the default Calendar app, but my main gripe is that you can't easily see when you have Events on the Calendar in month view. The date is just slightly more bold than the default day number, but why can't you make the whole day colored or something obvious?

Other than that, I am fairly happy with the phone and quite impressed with the battery life, especially if you turn off LTE when you don't need it. The bloatware/un-removeable apps are frustrating, though.

Also to any Galaxy Nex owners: since that phone has 'vanilla' android, are the Email and News apps changed in a similar way and taken over by the Carrier/Manufacturer?

Thanks for any info!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hello! I have acquired a RAZR MAXX and had a few annoyances/questions that I was hoping you all could shed some light on.

1) News app: a) why is this crap always running in the background? I've never used it. b) When I do try to use it, instead of the expected News/Weather that comes up on my old Droid 1, you get a blank list with an Add button. Click that and you get a nice Motorola Terms agreement, where they state they will save everything about you, including your passwords. Am I misunderstanding this? I'll go find other news apps, but what happened to the standard Android news app?

2) Email app: The non-Gmail 'Email' application worked fine on my old OG Droid. Now when I set up my Yahoo account in this app, I get an email in the Inbox (Universal Inbox?!) which is from Verizon explaining how they have taken over my crap. This email does NOT show up in my actual Yahoo inbox, so is Verizon/Motorola now copying my email to their server and cacheing it for this app? I don't remember accepting any terms for this. To make things even more useful, any test emails I send to my Yahoo account do NOT show up on my phone Inbox, no matter how long I wait or refresh.
I have found the Yahoo Email app, but can someone explain what has happened to the standard Android alternate email app?

3) Any calandar replacement recommendations? I don't have any main issues with the default Calendar app, but my main gripe is that you can't easily see when you have Events on the Calendar in month view. The date is just slightly more bold than the default day number, but why can't you make the whole day colored or something obvious?

Other than that, I am fairly happy with the phone and quite impressed with the battery life, especially if you turn off LTE when you don't need it. The bloatware/un-removeable apps are frustrating, though.

Also to any Galaxy Nex owners: since that phone has 'vanilla' android, are the Email and News apps changed in a similar way and taken over by the Carrier/Manufacturer?

Thanks for any info!
Congrats on your Maxx...you're going to love it. News App...yeah, I know what you mean. As you probably already know there are quite a few apps in the Market that will pull from different news sources and send the latest breaking news etc to your phone. A new one, and really nice, is google's Currents, but the news sources were kinda few, at least when I first checked it out about a month ago. I just have USA Today and Fox News apps on my phone and selected their "alert" function so when something breaks it is sent to my phone.

Yahoo email. Wish I could help you with that, but I can't. Good luck finding someone who has figured out the "code" for using Yahoo. It seems as if the email app in google and Yahoo just don't play nice together...good luck on that one.

I use Smooth Calendar, which sync very nicely with google account/calendar and will indicate events in the monthly view. It will also display the next four events on your home screen...one line entries. Like news apps, there are a number of nice calendar apps in the Market that will provide more options than the native calendar app...most are free, but some are paid, usually not more than a dollar.