Rapid Battery Loss Problems

wallace43

Reaction score
2013-09-01_21-26-19.png

I've noticed in the last week that the battery on my new incredible 2 has turned to crap. Its been happening quite a bit when I simply have the phone in my pocket, it heats up and drains very quickly. Yesterday I tested it out and, for instance, I lost over 50% in a few hours while it was on airplane mode unused in my pocket.

You can see in the picture that I'd been on battery steady for 10 hours but only in the last two did it drain significantly. Again it was unused in my pocket (it had been on my desk all day before).

It seems to be that when it's in my pocket, I lose battery life (which is an incredible inconvenience). I'm wondering if anyone has had this problem and has a solution. I've always had Advanced Task Killer set to aggressive so I'm not sure its app related. Could it be that having it in my pocket interferes with the signal like the old iphones' antenna getting blocked?

Also I know all battery use besides display should be below 10%, anyone got a suggestion to lower them?

Thanks for the help

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Download an app/battery monitor, I personally use GSam. It's a more detailed breakdown on what is killing your battery. So I would install that and check it after a few hours of use to see.

As for ATK, I'd get rid of it. ATK is no longer needed for Android and has caused more issues than help in later versions of Android. Initially (back in the OG Droid days) it wasn't even necessary, but caused alot less problems. I'd get rid of it and see how your battery life is then.

Putting a phone in your pocket shouldn't interfere too much with your phone's signal unless you live or frequent a really weak signal area. But considering your battery still drained even in Airplane mode, I doubt its the radio draining your battery.

OP
W

wallace43

Reaction score
thanks but Again today, obscene battery loss when its in my pocket, unused when in an area of good service. Battery usage for dialer, android system, cell standby etc keep increase and are now all approaching 20%. Any ideas anyone?

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
Since you keep your phone in your pocket, the tower sends requests to every phone, and if your phone is shadowed from the tower, the poor signal TO the tower (uplink) will command the handset to increase its power to improve the signal quality to the tower site. You have no control over this process, it's controlled by the individual cell sites.

If you can keep your phone more 'visible' to the tower, your battery life should improve.
Good signal areas do not count when considering actual use of the individual phone's needs requirements at the time of usage.
A cell site checks the RSSI often, and when a particular handset is not responding to query with a proper signal level, the site sends a command to the handset to boost its RF power to make up for the poor QOS (Quality Of Service). This is performed to maintain a level of call quality among all phones, so one does not sound noisy, or watery, but have a good, solid uplink to the site the phone is monitoring. This also includes site hand-offs between towers when moving from location to location, the signal levels are constantly monitored and adjusted to provide a balanced audio and RF signal strength for all tower sites.