Questions regarding overclocking...

eolastear

Reaction score
I am rather new to UC/OC, so please, all of you that aren't please be patient with me. That being said...

I have a Droid 2 running Froyo 2.2. I have successfully rooted my phone, already have a full Nandroid backup, and have Titanium Backup Pro backing up all of my applications. My interest is in underclocking to obtain better battery life. Almost all the posts I have found offer good information but didn't answer the question I had. So here it goes;

I downloaded SetCPU via the market and installed it with no problems. The app came up with the following settings by default;

Max = 1000000
Min = 300000

My question is this, is this the stock setting for the Droid 2 stock kernel already? Or is this setting just the default recommended by SetCPU? Does the Droid 2 already underclock in instances when the screen turns off and so on?

If the above is just a stock setting, what is a simple way for me to underclock my processor to preserve battery life. Nothing outlandish, just better than stock. If you know of apps and the appropriate settings, PLEASE, I would love you to share that information. Again, I am not looking for anything crazy, just slightly better efficiency.

Thanks in advance.

Sniper_5

Reaction score
There is a tab in the set CPU app that says profiles. Enable these and make a battery profile for every time you want the clock speed to lower. I.e. 60%= 8000-3000, 40% 6000-3000. Those don't have to be the exact settings but along those lines. If you'd like I can show you a pic of my profiles for a general idea. Remember though I'm on the D1 and I'm overclocked to 1ghz

Sent from my D1 on UD @ 1.2Ghz

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
If I am understanding you correctly, these settings imply that as battery life decreases, the CPU speed will decrease as well?

I don't necessarilly want to do that, but rather insure that when not in use that the CPU does in fact underclock to a lower speed. That's why I was wondering if 300000 min is already a stock setting and whether the Droid 2 already underclocks on it's own in these cases.

Thank you for the information, if all else fails I will likely use your suggestions. I'm wondering if the use of DX/D2 Overclock or OverClock by JRummy makes any difference, and if so, how are they configured properly to assist in this scenario.

The goal is not to degrade my performance when my phone is being used. (i.e., I still want it to run at 1ghz if i need it to, even if my battery is at 30%) but run at lower speed if the performance isn't needed.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct! What you'll want to do is set up a "Screen Off" profile to be a lower speed. Mine for example, is set to scale down to 400 max/250 min when the screen is off. I have the same setting for when/if my temp hits 114° just to cool things off a bit.

If I am understanding you correctly, these settings imply that as battery life decreases, the CPU speed will decrease as well?

I don't necessarilly want to do that, but rather insure that when not in use that the CPU does in fact underclock to a lower speed. That's why I was wondering if 300000 min is already a stock setting and whether the Droid 2 already underclocks on it's own in these cases.

Thank you for the information, if all else fails I will likely use your suggestions. I'm wondering if the use of DX/D2 Overclock or OverClock by JRummy makes any difference, and if so, how are they configured properly to assist in this scenario.

The goal is not to degrade my performance when my phone is being used. (i.e., I still want it to run at 1ghz if i need it to, even if my battery is at 30%) but run at lower speed if the performance isn't needed.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Sniper_5

Reaction score
To increase battery life without effecting normal phone governing simply add a profile for " screen off" and set it for power save and 30000-50000. This will underclock the phone at all times when not in use.

Sent from my D1 on UD1.0 @ 1Ghz

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
Perfect! Thanks for all the help. Just for kicks...any idea on a relatively safe speed for overclocking on the Droid 2 w/ stock kernel? And what app would be best if I eventually chose to do it?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
It varies from phone to phone. I use SetCPU myself.

Perfect! Thanks for all the help. Just for kicks...any idea on a relatively safe speed for overclocking on the Droid 2 w/ stock kernel? And what app would be best if I eventually chose to do it?

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
Yeah but SetCPU won't go above 1Ghz as far as I can tell. How would I get it above...say to 1.2Ghz....and furthermore, is 1.2Ghz even safe?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
That's because of the stock kernel (1GHz). You'd need a faster kernel to go past that speed.

Yeah but SetCPU won't go above 1Ghz as far as I can tell. How would I get it above...say to 1.2Ghz....and furthermore, is 1.2Ghz even safe?

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
I see. I thought i'd heard that the stock kernel supports higher clocking speeds but you need one of the OverClock apps I mentioned to do it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Not to my knowledge. Lets shoot on over to the market and look at Jrummy's app though...

I see. I thought i'd heard that the stock kernel supports higher clocking speeds but you need one of the OverClock apps I mentioned to do it.

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
I am curious to try it but am concerned I will screw my phone up. Wish there were some really clear instructions for the overclock process.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
How long did it take you to decide to root? His (Jrummy's) app looks alot more advanced than SetCPU though..

I am curious to try it but am concerned I will screw my phone up. Wish there were some really clear instructions for the overclock process.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Jrummy is also a member here so you could also PM him with questions. He always responded to me and never once "talked down" to me! :dancedroid:

OP
E

eolastear

Reaction score
I rooted within a month of having my phone. it's just recently that I entertained UC/OC methods. I just don't want to do it at the risk of hurting my phone. If I can overclock to 1.2Ghz without damaging my battery or degrading my phone's life expectancy, then I'm all for it.