questions about 4g

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
So my area is scheduled to get 4g the 17th but I had a few questions about 4g...

First of all how do you tell if you have a bad lte radio? Does it just not connect to 4g or does it do something else? I've been testing to see if I got it yet everyday and it hasn't popped up even once yet so I'm not sure if I might have a bad 4g radio or not

Second of all how long does it take for 4g to pop up after switching to cdma/LTE? does it usually connect to 3g first or just go to 4g?

And thirdly if I have a poor 3g signal (says about 80-90 dbm but my 3g speeds are usually around 200-400 kbps), does it tend to carry over to 4g? (just as in slower speeds than if you have a decent 4g signal)

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I have two phones: Samsung Charge and Nexus. I can have both phones in 4g area side by side and get two different download/uploads speeds: the Charge was significantly higher, while my Nexus was significantly lower. It has been a common complaint that the Nexus radio is not up to par. Suppose to get better after the rumored 4.0.4 update.

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
4.0.4 Radios are out already, i live in a 4g area and have solid 4 bars all the time so didn't see a difference in reception between radios. Upload/download speeds vary from 5up/15down to 10up/25down..

KeepItReal

Reaction score
I even had the Charge and Nexus side by side and the Charge changed to 4g way before the Nexus. I think I even had to power cycle the Nexus before the it switched into 4G! I remain stock, which is why I do not have 4.0.4.

OP
metalspring

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well I was most interested in how to tell if your 4g radio was actually working...the baseband version shows up for both cdma and LTE but I've heard that doesn't necessarily mean it works, I can switch to cdma/LTE without issue but never having 4g yet I can't tell if it works or not...so basically, what happens if you have a bad 4g baseband? Does it just not connect to 4g or does it reboot or hot reboot, etc
I'm on the latest 4.0.4 radios btw

CJLee89

Reaction score
Have you ever connected to 4G? Thats the only way to tell. If your LTE radio is bad then it will not connect to 4G.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you are one of the unlucky ones with bad data with 4g, it will connect but then just drop signal altogether. The hand off from 3g to 4g is slow, but if you have lte on then it will eventually connect if you are in a 4g area.

OP
metalspring

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just figured I'd see it at least pop up or something by now since it is supposed to be here by tomorrow...maybe I just have bad timing with testing to see if I can catch them doing a test or something...I don't THINK I have a bad LTE radio considering cdma to cdma/LTE and back is fairly quick before it grabs 3g again- just a few seconds or so on the latest radios and I do notice considerably more battery drain on LTE mode like it's at least searching for 4g
Well at least tomorrow will tell for sure, I might try older radios sometime just to check
Thanks everyone for all the input