Questionable Battery Life

styrofoamdreams

Reaction score
Hello all. I just got a new Razr Maxx HD a few days ago and I'm unsure the battery life is what it should be. I will unplug my phone, fully charged, in the morning, and the battery lasts until I go to sleep. This is a period of approximately 12-13 hours, and I'm not running the battery down excessively in any way I can see. Sure, I use the phone and occasionally open some apps, but its not out of my pocket all day long. Is this normal? I just plugged it in at the end of a 13 hour run with about 14% battery left. Thoughts?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might be a rogue app. Check out Gsam battery monitor and see what it shows you.

Location services might be hurting the battery too so I would go to Google Settings -- Location -- and turn off both Location history and location reporting.

Also, where you frequent the most (work, school, home, etc.) is the signal strong? A weak signal area can drain the battery fast as your phone is constantly searching for a connection.

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
Battery meter may need training. I would run it down to 10% and the shut it off to charge it over night. Then see if it improves which it should. When you shut the phone off and plug it in you may see a big difference in what the meter said when on from the meter that comes up with it off.

rcglider

Reaction score
Use Smart Actions to limit the background stuff and as said above, rogue apps can suck any size battery down quickly. The battery life on my Maxx HD is fantastic. On my Kindle (now a Jelly Bean tablet), I use DU Battery Saver; seems to work pretty good.

jimmythegent

Reaction score
Hello all. I just got a new Razr Maxx HD a few days ago and I'm unsure the battery life is what it should be. I will unplug my phone, fully charged, in the morning, and the battery lasts until I go to sleep. This is a period of approximately 12-13 hours, and I'm not running the battery down excessively in any way I can see. Sure, I use the phone and occasionally open some apps, but its not out of my pocket all day long. Is this normal? I just plugged it in at the end of a 13 hour run with about 14% battery left. Thoughts?

Your not alone, anyone who says you are is nuts. In fact many people complain about this.

See the thing is the phone will last a while if you dont use it like a phone LOL, I have seen a lot of people complain of the same thing, then you will see some people who just stare at it and modding it and try to make it all flashy and never really "use" the phone.

torch709

Reaction score

one trick I learned that helped with battery on my phone is changing the mobile network from global to LTE/CDMA. Go to settings, below data usage select more, then select mobile networks, then network mode, finally select LTE/CDMA. I drive truck over the road and have not noticed any signal issues by doing this

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Battery meter may need training. I would run it down to 10% and the shut it off to charge it over night. Then see if it improves which it should. When you shut the phone off and plug it in you may see a big difference in what the meter said when on from the meter that comes up with it off.

Yeti is correct. My first question is...did you fully charge with power off before you used it (as recommended in the owner's manual)? If you're like most, you probably didn't. Power off (press and hold power button, select "Power off" and accept), then charge to 100% as indicated on the screen when you press and release a volume control button. Then power up normally and use until you reach 10%, then repeat the power-off and charge method.

You may see significant improvement in a few days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

turbodave

Reaction score
Battery life is also drastically affected by cell sight signal strength. If you're in an area of weak signals then it wont last long.
I also played around the last few days to try and stretch my battery life, and what I did was run with WIFI turned OFF and ran with 4G only. I managed 51 hours before the battery hit 10%
Never got that kind of run time before.
I will say that I am a fairly light user, spending time on tapatalk and a few calls.

Reaction score
I get only like 14 hours on a charge and that's running wi fi and music on my old maxx I got 26 hours a charge

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Battery life is also drastically affected by cell sight signal strength. If you're in an area of weak signals then it wont last long.
I also played around the last few days to try and stretch my battery life, and what I did was run with WIFI turned OFF and ran with 4G only. I managed 51 hours before the battery hit 10%
Never got that kind of run time before.
I will say that I am a fairly light user, spending time on tapatalk and a few calls.

He ^ is correct. I have terrible battery life and it has IMHO a LOT to do with signal strength. I live in a home where signal levels are 1-2 bars, and I work where it ranges 1-3 depending on where in the building I am. We have a large power substation feeding the high speed rail lines that run at the rear of our building and I believe that contributes to the poor signal levels there. See the photo out our back window below.

For the most part my phone remains in my shirt pocket and is warm all day long. I'm lucky to get through a day with a full charge and I might not even use the phone once during that time.

tyna7evu.jpg

u9e8uhu8.jpg

eny4ypuh.jpg

dysuqume.jpg

iniquityblues

Reaction score

actually, from what i've read you're supposed to run the phone down til it turns off at 0%, then let it charge whilst the phone's off all the way back to 100%. you then use the phone normally and again let it drain to 0% and shut off and give it one more proper turned-off charge back to 100%. doing this is said to effectively recalibrate your battery meter, which has the potential to get a wee bit janky over the course of ~2-3 months, ergo that's the recommended timeframe when you're supposed to do this.

my droid razr maxx has started to show signs of having battery calibration issues, as lately i've been unable to get the phone to charge all the way up to 100%, usually stopping at 90% and most recently 80% --- however, my beloved razr maxx is about to go away because the micro USB port has crapped out, leaving me with a wonderful phone that's still got another ~2/+ years of life left in it (as i assumed i'd be able to get a 3 year run out of it @ purchase) and therefore prolly still worth $250+ on the open market, however, some little 10 cent piece of connectors has crapped out, meaning that this wonderful $250+ phone is effectively useless.

it just goes to show that you can build a phone as solid as a tank, able to survive the most inhospitable conditions including (but not limited to) a few decent lil carpeted falls and the general rigors of being a well used comptuerphone, but in the end.... all it takes is one stupid little 10 cent connector port to go bad, and low and behold you're back in teh clutches of the phone companies who have a vested interest in getting you to "upgrade" or play a fun game of routlette via insurance (i.e. "am i getting the same make of phone? you know, the one i went out and purchased and pay $8/month to insure? is that too much to ask? if it's not, can i get a new one as opposed to a refurbished one plz?)

AHEM. my bad on the mini tangent.... you can guess what topic compelled me to register @ the forums, eh?

so yeah my bad on the self-indulgent drivel dude, but long story short from my research (i.e. verified in ~2 other places) the best way to figure out where you stand with the battery meter is to do that down-to-0%/charge-while-its-off thing and give the phone a chance to experience both extremes in a situation where there isn't an operating system running via all of the horsepower of the equipment in the phone. it makes sense in an empirical level if you think about it.

merci!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
10% yes, 0% no. If you're recalibrating the battery meter (not the battery since there is no such option) , that would imply the meter is out of calibration. If so and you let the phone run to 0% and power itself off you run the risk of it actually deep-discharging and going into protection mode. If you're lucky it won't discharge that low but it might discharge below the threshold voltage needed to support activating the charge circuit and instead suffering from boot-looping or the dreaded "White Light of Death". This can leave your phone completely unresponsive to the charger and make it very difficult to recover.

Zero charge level should be avoided at virtually all costs. Not only for the risks mentioned above but also since it shortens the battery's usable life.

Also, there's no reason to drain initially before the first of two full charges. What you must make sure however is that you do the full charge with the phone powered off completely. The process is charge to 100% with power off, use to 10%, then power off and charge to 100% again. Once fully charged the second time you're done.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2