Question regarding phone insurance

Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on getting the Droid. We have never had a smart phone before so we never took out the insurance on them.

Is it a good idea to take it out on this phone?

Do we each need to take out insurance or can we just purchase one insurance plan for the two phones?

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on getting the Droid. We have never had a smart phone before so we never took out the insurance on them.

Do we each need to take out insurance or can we just purchase one insurance plan for the two phones?

Yes it's a good idea to carry the insurance. I believe it's $6 per phone but if you lose it or whatever. It's a $50 replacement instread of full retail. FWIW I carry it on s smart phones also

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been told by many people, and many VZW techs that for smart phones it's a good idea to get it. While you may not need it, the screens and units are more inept to getting damaged. Though even with the insurance you still have to pay $50. To get a new unit before 10 months would cost you full retail unless you can talk your way into a subsidized price from a VZW manager.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Psssst,,,,,,
GET THE INSURANCE !!!!!!!

This is a very expensive piece of tech. Believe me, you will not want to be paying out of your pocket, full price for a replacement. Get the Insurance !!!

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me add another side of the story from my experience. Verizon's insurance is through a third party company. When you loose or damage your Droid and call them up, you will be asked to pay $50 and will get another Droid overnighted to you. The problem is, that Droid will be refurbished and at times does not even have the same manufacturer markings on it that the original does. The last smart phone I had before I bought my Blackberry got damaged and I was carrying the insurance on it. I went through three different replacement phones from Verizon's insurance company and each one had something wrong with it that seemed obvious to me. Now I say this just to warn you, not so that you don't get the insurance. I'll be adding the insurance to my Droid on Friday as well, but just be aware of how this whole thing works.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The same thing that almost every major company does, Dell, does it hardcore.. but they at least let you know now that it's refurbished, they didn't use to label it as such.

inigomntoya

Reaction score

Yes it's a good idea to carry the insurance. I believe it's $6 per phone but if you lose it or whatever. It's a $50 replacement instread of full retail. FWIW I carry it on s smart phones also

Its only $6? Total?!

I thought there was a monthly fee - maybe that was the old AT&T days...

vanwas

Reaction score

Its only $6? Total?!

I thought there was a monthly fee - maybe that was the old AT&T days...

That $6 is a monthly fee...

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
Yeah, it's a Monthly Fee, I just used the insurance yesterday on my GF's Moto Flip phone. It, kind of took a bath in her purse on Halloween Night :blink:

The Phone call was painless. I Paid my 50 bucks, I am now waiting for it to show up via UPS. Refurb is better than having to buy a new one.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
The Best Buy insurance is supposed to be even better. I saw a little info on it when I did my pre-order. I'm going to compare it to what VZW offers and I may make the switch, but yes, I ALWAYS take the insurance because I don't want to be on the other end of the statement 'Awww, you should have had insurance.'

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a Monthly Fee, I just used the insurance yesterday on my GF's Moto Flip phone. It, kind of took a bath in her purse on Halloween Night :blink:

The Phone call was painless. I Paid my 50 bucks, I am now waiting for it to show up via UPS. Refurb is better than having to buy a new one.

There's a trick to cell phones and getting wet. If you take the battery out and put the phone in a bag of rice (something similar), and leave it sit for about 2 days, alot of the times it will turn back on. Proven to work (at least in my cases), 3 of my coworkers have done it already, one cell phone took a dive in a toilet, and 2 others were drenched in rain.

inigomntoya

Reaction score
The Best Buy insurance is supposed to be even better. I saw a little info on it when I did my pre-order. I'm going to compare it to what VZW offers and I may make the switch, but yes, I ALWAYS take the insurance because I don't want to be on the other end of the statement 'Awww, you should have had insurance.'

Do you remember the details of the Best Buy plan?

It looks like they offer a service plan for the iPhone at $15/mo. but no deductible on your claim.

Has anyone had any experience with Best Buy's mobile service plans?

polar135

Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my wifes wedding ring personal articles policy. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

Last edited:
OP
W
Reaction score
But how long would it take to get a new phone? I am sure y ou could be without one for a week going through your home owners insurance.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I personally have added my BB smart phones to my home insurance. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

That's an interesting stance to say the least. I would have never thought about it.