Question regarding phone insurance

brandon4256

Reaction score
has anyone gotten details about the squaretrade warranty?

Ok so I talked to a squaretrade rep and they said they would cover up to $399 for a Moto Droid for $76.99 for 2 years covering everything except for theft/loss with a $50 deductible. Since I didnt pay retail I would have to keep a receipt and a printout of the full retail price from the verizon website in the event of a claim.

Also note that once a replacement claim has been completed this fulfills the warranty and you will have to purchase a new one.

Also, for black friday they are offering up to 40% off of warranties to the first 10,000 warranties sold on the 27th starting midnight.

Anybody think this would be worth it for $46??

scotthay

Reaction score
I am going to call my State Farm rep tomorrow. I have a personal articles policy on an Omega watch and my wedding ring. They told me these items are covered for anything (I could run over them with my car or toss them in a lake and they would buy me new ones). The watch insurance is $49/yr and the value of the watch is around $4,200.00, the ring is costing another $37/YR I think and it is worth around $4,000.00 (just added it last week, haven't gotten the bill). I would imagine a $600.00 phone wouldn't cost that much more. I am not sure if you have to have homeowners insurance with them to be able to get this policy or not (I have all my insurance through them, car(s), business, home, boat, loss of work, etc.

I personally have added my BB smart phones to my wifes wedding ring personal articles policy. It only cost me about 3 bucks a month, and then i am for sure getting a new phone, not of the Refurb crap that they some times send out. With state farm, i have no deductible on the phone. (note phone has to have a retail value of $500 or more to add it to my policy. )

Please note i updated my original post. the insurance is not under my home owners but under my wife wedding ring insurance called a personal articles policy threw state farm. I cover her ring cause well stuff happens and i don't want to be out the money that I paid for the ring. My state farm agent confirmed to me today that my Storm (the phone i have now) is on the policy, that their is no deductible on the phone if anything was to happen to it.

Sorry for the mix up on the correct type of insurance policy.

jedidroid

Reaction score
has anyone gotten details about the squaretrade warranty?

Ok so I talked to a squaretrade rep and they said they would cover up to $399 for a Moto Droid for $76.99 for 2 years covering everything except for theft/loss with a $50 deductible. Since I didnt pay retail I would have to keep a receipt and a printout of the full retail price from the verizon website in the event of a claim.

Also note that once a replacement claim has been completed this fulfills the warranty and you will have to purchase a new one.

Also, for black friday they are offering up to 40% off of warranties to the first 10,000 warranties sold on the 27th starting midnight.

Anybody think this would be worth it for $46??

It's still not the full price to replace the phone, you would still have to shell out another $200.00, so I would think it's not worth it.

REARless

Reaction score
Extended warranty insurance for you phone, car etc. is like gambling. The insurance companies have actuaries who calculate the odds. The House always wins in the long run.

Unless I was constantly taking the phone into precarious situations - like construction, I personally would not purchase the insurance.

I think the biggest risk is losing the phone or it getting stolen, and none of the insurance will cover that.

Last edited:

RedRocker

Reaction score
I just checked with State Farm, they won't cover it for loss, but theft is covered under
homeowners, minus a $1500 deductible. Verizon seems expensive, sure would like to find
an alternative.

scotthay

Reaction score
I just added my Droid to my personal articles policy through State Farm. It was $32.50/year, no deductible and is covered against anything. I could smash it with a hammer, drop it in a lake, etc. They will buy me a new one. The requirements for this policy is that the value has to be over $500.00. Not sure if you need to have a homeowners policy through State Farm or not, but this is a separate policy from the homeowners that covers jewelery, art work, laptops, etc.

brandon4256

Reaction score
I just got this response from my state farm agent regarding your comment:
Unfortunately, State Farm stopped insuring cell phones. I know, because I recently took out a personal articles policy for my laptop and they wouldn’t insure my blackberry. Currently, anyone who has had a personal articles policy and had their cell phone insured under it, prior to State Farm no longer accepting cell phones, their policies are grandfathered and exceptions to the new standards. So from what I gather, sounds like they must have had an existing policy with a cell phone insured on it, for which they replaced with their new phone.

So I guess I'll just stick with my $8/ month insurance fee from verizon.

I just added my Droid to my personal articles policy through State Farm. It was $32.50/year, no deductible and is covered against anything. I could smash it with a hammer, drop it in a lake, etc. They will buy me a new one. The requirements for this policy is that the value has to be over $500.00. Not sure if you need to have a homeowners policy through State Farm or not, but this is a separate policy from the homeowners that covers jewelery, art work, laptops, etc.

RedRocker

Reaction score
Unfortunately, State Farm stopped insuring cell phones. I know, because I recently took out a personal articles policy for my laptop and they wouldn’t insure my blackberry. Currently, anyone who has had a personal articles policy and had their cell phone insured under it, prior to State Farm no longer accepting cell phones, their policies are grandfathered and exceptions to the new standards. So from what I gather, sounds like they must have had an existing policy with a cell phone insured on it, for which they replaced with their new phone.

I pretty much got the same answer.

scotthay

Reaction score
It really must depend on your agent. Mine covered it, no problem. I just checked online and the policy is there in my list of insurance. I googled it to see if there was some sort of official policy from State Farm and ran across a thread like this one in an apple forum. iPhone Insurance - AppleInsider

Looks to be hit or miss depending on your agent.

FYI, when I called Verizon to cancel my insurance they told me that I would never be able to add it back on to this phone through them. I thought that was a little strange. I could understand if the phone was out of factory warranty, but to never be able to insure it again through them?

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Extended warranty insurance for you phone, car etc. is like gambling. The insurance companies have actuaries who calculate the odds. The House always wins in the long run.

Unless I was constantly taking the phone into precarious situations - like construction, I personally would not purchase the insurance.
Despite many of the posts in this thread it's a personal judgment call. I typically don't opt for insurance but it's extremely unusual for me to break/lose a device. YMMV. If you think it's a good idea then get it. If you don't think it is then don't. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

I think the biggest risk is losing the phone or it getting stolen, and none of the insurance will cover that.
That's entirely incorrect. Copied and pasted from VZW's site:

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection* Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, provides insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the insurance agency within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval.

Last edited:

xjman349

Reaction score

Despite many of the posts in this thread it's a personal judgment call. I typically don't opt for insurance but it's extremely unusual for me to break/lose a device. YMMV. If you think it's a good idea then get it. If you don't think it is then don't. There's no one-size-fits-all answer.

That's entirely incorrect. Copied and pasted from VZW's site:

Asurion Wireless Phone Protection* Asurion, a third-party licensed insurance agency, provides insurance coverage for your wireless device and certain standard accessories. If your device is lost, stolen or accidentally damaged (including liquid and physical damage), you may file your claim with the insurance agency within 60 days of the incident and the device will be replaced upon claim approval.

Takashi is 100% correct. Insurance will let you replace your device due to lost, stolen, damaged, drowned, crushed, ran over, dropped in the toilet, dropped in beer, peed on, thrown against the wall, squished in a vice, and even baby slobber (all actually stories). Two claims per year after that you are on your own. :)

applesauce

Reaction score
The insurance offered through verizon(or their 3rd party) was a little weird.

for around 6-7 dollars you get insurance that covers lost stolen water things like that.

for 9 dollars you get that plus an extented factory warrenty.

Seems like no one would ever buy the factory extension since its double coverage. If the phone breaks in some way that would have been covered by a factory warrenty, just lose or smash the phone and your covered under the cheaper plan.