Gee, I Wish I Bought The Insurance? You Just Might Be Able To.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Had a conversation on another thread about whether or not you can purchase insurance after 30 days. Nobody was certain so I sent Verizon an email. Here is my response:

Dear hookbill,

Good afternoon. My name is Rebecca and I certainly understand your concern regarding the possibility to add insurance onto your phone. I am delighted to assist you today with this matter.

I have thoroughly evaluated your account and was able to confirm that the Motorala Droid phone for the wireless number 555-555-8234 was purchased on November 29, 2009. Normally, insurance can only be added to the line within 30 days of purchase. However, the insurance company, Asurion, is currently offering the ability to add insurance onto the eligible lines for phones purchased after 30 days. For more information about this offer, please contact Asurion directly at 888-881-2622.

It was such a great pleasure assisting you today with the process to add insurance. I hope you have a wonderful week. I hope you continue to find the “Contact Us” section of verizonwireless.com a helpful option to resolve any issue you may experience the first time you email us. We appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Verizon Wireless customer.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Verizon Wireless

Customer Service

So here's a heads up. I'm planning on giving them a call and ordering the insurance today.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I got my Droid back in November the rep did not add it on like I had asked. And, being that it was the Christmas holidays, this former VZW CS rep FORGOT to look over the bill with a fine tooth comb, and it was in January that I realized it was never added. I went through 3 phone calls starting in January and 6 weeks later it was finally added. I also knew that Asurion will make exceptions to the 30 day rule (not just an Asurion promotion), but if you legitimately may have had insurance in the past and if you were one to file a lot of claims or not will determine if they feel you're a decent risk or not. It's sort of like car insurance, if you have 3 at fault accidents in 3 years a lot of companies will not even take the risk.

To me, with a $500 full retail on a Droid, if something happens, it's better to pay $90 for a Certified Like New Droid than having to pay $500 full retail on another. After a year, I'll probably drop it. And, for those considering getting the Asurion insurance, there's a $6 and a $7.99 plan. The only difference between the two is the higher price one extends your manufacturers warranty into the second year. For the 2-1/2 yrs. I worked in VZW customer service, I can only think of a handful of times it was beneficial to a customer with issues. So, save the $2 bucks.

And, to save other posts about what is covered, the Asurion covers lost, stolen, water damage and physical damage.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I got my Droid back in November the rep did not add it on like I had asked. And, being that it was the Christmas holidays, this former VZW CS rep FORGOT to look over the bill with a fine tooth comb, and it was in January that I realized it was never added. I went through 3 phone calls starting in January and 6 weeks later it was finally added. I also knew that Asurion will make exceptions to the 30 day rule (not just an Asurion promotion), but if you legitimately may have had insurance in the past and if you were one to file a lot of claims or not will determine if they feel you're a decent risk or not. It's sort of like car insurance, if you have 3 at fault accidents in 3 years a lot of companies will not even take the risk.

To me, with a $500 full retail on a Droid, if something happens, it's better to pay $90 for a Certified Like New Droid than having to pay $500 full retail on another. After a year, I'll probably drop it. And, for those considering getting the Asurion insurance, there's a $6 and a $7.99 plan. The only difference between the two is the higher price one extends your manufacturers warranty into the second year. For the 2-1/2 yrs. I worked in VZW customer service, I can only think of a handful of times it was beneficial to a customer with issues. So, save the $2 bucks.

And, to save other posts about what is covered, the Asurion covers lost, stolen, water damage and physical damage.

I've already got the extended warranty. I don't think that has anything to do with Asurion coverage, but I've seen enough horror stories around here about people having their Droid land funny and break even on carpet that I'm going to take advantage of the special offer.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

I've already got the extended warranty. I don't think that has anything to do with Asurion coverage, but I've seen enough horror stories around here about people having their Droid land funny and break even on carpet that I'm going to take advantage of the special offer.
Each brand new Droid purchased from VZW come with the warranty for one year. I believe if someone wants only the extended warranty, it's about $1.99 per month. However, the warranty is not worth it. Phones are going to crap out because of a warranty defect usually happens within the first year anyway. And, by the second year, within 8 months your line would be eligible for upgrade...or steal your spouse or kid's eligible line :)

RyanS2000

Reaction score
Bought my Droid online without insurance. Changed my mind after about 5 days and called to add insurance. The clerk advised you have 30 days from date of purchase.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Each brand new Droid purchased from VZW come with the warranty for one year. I believe if someone wants only the extended warranty, it's about $1.99 per month. However, the warranty is not worth it. Phones are going to crap out because of a warranty defect usually happens within the first year anyway. And, by the second year, within 8 months your line would be eligible for upgrade...or steal your spouse or kid's eligible line :)

Yeah but 2 bucks a year is 24.00. I'll just keep it, if I get another phone before that then maybe I'll reconsider.

I'm just glad I have an opportunity to get the insurance beyond the 30 days.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Update

I just purchased the insurance. The first person I talked to said that I couldn't purchase it after 30 days, but I read the email to her and I was transferred to someone else.

I was told by people on this board that the insurance was 5.00. That's incorrect, it's 7.99. Also the deductible I was informed of was 85.00. Also incorrect, it's 90.00.

You cannot use the insurance for the first 30 days, and there is no charge during the first 30 days.

I was a little shocked at the 7.99. It's still worth it but that changes it from 60.00 a year to 92.00 a year. With the deductible if a year goes by you end up paying 182.00. Cheaper then 500.00, but awful expensive IMHO.

mikenilson

Reaction score
Just got insurance for 2 Droids for $70 a year for both! It was through State Farm with no deductable and covers everything, theft, lost, accident, dropping in the toilet, etc. And I am pretty sure if they had to replace it, it would be with a brand new Droid.