Question About Watch Apps, Regardless of OS

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use the app Color Note as an example because I'm assuming, correctly or incorrectly, that it's the same on AW and Tizen.
I get a notification on my watch but cannot interact with it other than read and dismiss. I'd like to be able to edit lists that I make fire shopping, etc from the watch or even make a shopping list or note on it.
In order for that to be possible would the developer need to make a new app that is wear capable or is it something that could be baked in the phone sided app or would it need both?
I saw a recent update to Handcent that stated it's now Android Wear compatible, or something like that, and I'm guessing that means you can reply or initiate texts from your watch using it now?
Phones and tablets use basically the same version of their os so I get how they can interact/sync with each other but I'm wondering what needs to be done to make them interact more with each other when going to a different, yet somehow blended in their ability to cross communicate, form of os to get a more independent usage to minimize the need to grab the phone like days of old. To me that inability to use our watches more fully is what is holding back the explosion of interest in them, though I may be totally wrong there as well.
Thanks for any clarifications and explanations you can give.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I used Color Note as an example because there are some similar on the Samsung store that don't have the same functionality on the phone that I've come to really appreciate about CN for the last 5 years. What I want is the notification in the phone pull down, with its ability to edit the note/list/calendar event but also the same functionality on the watch, even as little as being able to cross items off the list and that syncs between devices like it does with my tablet and phone.
I'm just trying to figure out the deal before writing to the developer so I don't look like some idiot dreamer wanting the impossible.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm not sure what has to be done to make things like this work...whether it's the actual app (like Color Note) that has to be updated...or an update to Android Wear? But since you mentioned Color Note, I think this is a great idea. I have been using Color Note for almost 2 years now and it's one of my favorite apps. I like how it syncs between my phone & tablet, the organizing abilities, all of the sharing options, saving files & links directly to it, etc. It would be awesome to be able to do more than just see the notification on the watch. Like you said, even the ability to open the note and cross off an item would be a good first step. I'm curious to hear the developers response.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I'm going to use the app Color Note as an example because I'm assuming, correctly or incorrectly, that it's the same on AW and Tizen.
I get a notification on my watch but cannot interact with it other than read and dismiss. I'd like to be able to edit lists that I make fire shopping, etc from the watch or even make a shopping list or note on it.
In order for that to be possible would the developer need to make a new app that is wear capable or is it something that could be baked in the phone sided app or would it need both?
I saw a recent update to Handcent that stated it's now Android Wear compatible, or something like that, and I'm guessing that means you can reply or initiate texts from your watch using it now?
Phones and tablets use basically the same version of their os so I get how they can interact/sync with each other but I'm wondering what needs to be done to make them interact more with each other when going to a different, yet somehow blended in their ability to cross communicate, form of os to get a more independent usage to minimize the need to grab the phone like days of old. To me that inability to use our watches more fully is what is holding back the explosion of interest in them, though I may be totally wrong there as well.
Thanks for any clarifications and explanations you can give.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
If some of our Gear users can verify that would be great........I was under the impression that most of the newer watches allow you to connect via Bluetooth to compose/reply to messages via voice recognition straight from your watch.

S5 tap'n

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If some of our Gear users can verify that would be great........I was under the impression that most of the newer watches allow you to connect via Bluetooth to compose/reply to messages via voice recognition straight from your watch.

S5 tap'n
But isn't that mostly with stock apps? I can do that with all Samsung bloatware but would like to see it more in aftermarket apps, no matter whether Tizen or AW. I now understand from lots of reading, with Tizen, it is them that are the hold up on aftermarket keyboards not working on their os not the developers, JUST like Apple for so long, a step in the wrong direction imo. There are a few Tizen based keyboards available but only work in conjunction with apps designed just for that keyboard, JUST like Apple for so long. I'm not sure about the availability and usability of aftermarket keyboards with Android Wear and with it being such a small screen (no matter the platform) I don't see full blown ones making a big hit there but T9 is what we used for so long back on our dumbphones (LG Dare?) back in the day and a T9 one could be usable while not taking up 99% of the screen to do so is an example of future possibilities beyond speaking into our watches no matter the platform

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Google Keep let's me check boxes on my watch. I keep this checklist for when I travel. Everything was checked when I opened it on my watch & I unchecked a couple to see if it's work.

These are all notes created on my phone that I can pull up. I launched keep through the "start" option, but I could've opened it by voice & scrolled through my notes, tap one to interact, though limited. Didn't try to edit one via the watch.
f9e43f7d9a415b4915162b43cc790a72.jpg

Last edited:

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nope. No editing on the watch. Before tapping a note to open it on the watch, I have the option to Archive or to Open on Phone.

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've written the developer of Color Note to get their take on things. I wrote how is like to see the ability to scratch out items on the list, like you can in the pull down notification AND I'd like it to sync the change between phone and watch the way it does between my phone and tablets.
Jonny, Color Note syncs between devices using your Gmail account and can either automatically sync or manual and when you set a reminder in the pull down bar you can edit the note from there. I wouldn't mind needing another app if it'll do that as well as sync with the watch beyond just notifying reminders. It's things like that I want my watch to do, especially since it had its own Wi-Fi and data capabilities. Maybe I'm too far ahead of the capabilities of smartwatches at the moment but I really can see the potential for them to be so much more than a notifier. Maybe it's os limitations, maybe it's hardware limitations, maybe it's just developer imagination limitations, maybe it's my impatience after seeing Android grow from a niche competitor of Apple to the dominant force in smartphones, being very instrumental, along with Apple, in taking the smartphone itself from a geek gadget to almost totally killing off regular mobile phone sales in under a decade.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Keep syncs, but Idk about editing in the notification panel. I really don't use note apps that often myself. Every once in a while, I'll write something in an action memo.

Other than that, I have a few things saved in keep & add new notes rarely. Haha

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Maybe I'm too far ahead of the capabilities of smartwatches at the moment but I really can see the potential for them to be so much more than a notifier.
I think you nailed it with this comment.
I definitely see your point. The fact is, this tech is still in its infancy stage and is one of the reasons I haven't jumped on board. (That and the fact they are currently way too large for my wrists)
If Apples iteration really takes off, I imagine manufacturers & developers will bump up their development and offerings with these devices to provide better interaction as well as better overall connectivity and a more fluid integration between watch & smartphone. We really haven't seen all that much third party support in terms of app development and added functionality. (aside from wallpaper and/or alternate watchface options)
With Apple taking a huge gamble by having 5 million iWatches ready to ship on release day, the next 6-12 months should give us a better idea as to whether or not this technology will really stick. IMO, it's a fad that will eventually fade. I personally don't need immediate access to my messages. I'm already connected at the hip to my smartphone and being notified and having to glance down at my wrist all day is not a feature I want or need. I DO see the convenience of it depending on your job or how busy you are at the time, but we've become an "instant access" world where if you don't respond to a text or email within seconds, the party trying to reach you is wondering what's wrong. While I usually respond to my messages right away, I don't respond to emails all that quickly. The way I see it is, if it's THAT important just call me. (Unless it's work related of course)

Unlike a smartphone, a smart watch isn't a "necessary" tech device. Most of us already have our smartphones on us, (often right next to us) whether sitting at work or at home. Obviously glancing down and replying to a message is much easier to do on your smartphone than it is on your watch. And unless you have a job that keeps you on your feet and both hands busy at all times, a watch like this isn't all that practical outside of the "notification" aspect.

In the workplace for example, we don't allow our employees to constantly be on their phones and it even got to the point where we made them keep their phones in their locker because everyone was constantly texting or on FB and it really got out of control for awhile. Most companies these days have similar rules about using your smartphone at work while on company time.
I'm sure smart watches will be included in this before long.
Another point is safety. When will we hear about the first vehicle crash because someone was reading a message on their watch while driving?
Convenient? yes Practical? Yet to be determined IMO.

Sorry, I kinda veered off topic a bit, but my point is I think developers are still waiting to see whether or not this technology is going to stick around before they invest too much of their time and money into it.
Manufacturers will continue to improve on this tech over the next 18-24 months, but unless sales start to really pick up, it will end up dying, and just like the rise and fall of "fitness bands", they'll likely end up gathering dust in people's nightstand.

S5 tap'n

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
5 years ago the tablet was a niche as well, now it has pretty much replaced pen and paper in the music industry, pro sports, reading books, in the school rooms of many schools, etc
As far as iWatches and notifications, aren't all iDevices just starting to get to where you can do more than dismiss notifications that just started being available in like 2013? If the developers are waiting on Apple I need to go ahead and ebay my watch soon.
Fwiw, I didn't know fitness bands existed until I got my Gear Fit in November, missed that whole boat, didn't even know what dock it left from. Had I known they existed I doubt I'd be on the smartwatch train but instead would still be a scoffing skeptic.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
There's a big difference between the functionality of a tablet and a smart watch though so I can't really see comparing the two.

S5 tap'n

OP
mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's a big difference between the functionality of a tablet and a smart watch though so I can't really see comparing the two.

S5 tap'n
There is now. Tablet infancy was even less functional than watches are at this stage.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't think you can really compare tablets and watches, regardless of the timeline. Tablets are standalone devices that only rely on wifi or mobile data to function.

Smartwatches, though I love mine, are accessories to a phone (or a tablet, really) that rely on another device to work. That is, unless you've got the Gear S like Mark does. That thing has it's own phone number and data plan. I guess you could compare that to a tablet, as it functions just fine as a standalone device.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I've written the developer of Color Note to get their take on things. I wrote how is like to see the ability to scratch out items on the list, like you can in the pull down notification AND I'd like it to sync the change between phone and watch the way it does between my phone and tablets.
Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

Sounds good, curious to hear their response. One thing I would like to see on watches / Android Wear app eventually is the ability to change which app to use under the "Take A Note" setting. Currently Keep is the only option. I have nothing against Keep and have used it to take a few quick voice notes from my watch. It works & it functions (kind of cool to see people's reactions to talking into your watch to take a quick note)..but I like Color Note much better. It would be cool if I could select Color Note as the app I want to use when I tell my watch to take new note. That doesn't seem too difficult to me, but it's probably something that will have to change in the Android Wear app and not just apps like Color Note.