New Wear OS Update

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
It sounds like Google is ready to roll out another major update to Wear OS, starting around mid-September. I'm not sure if this will be Wear OS 3.0 or just a higher 2.something number. Some of the articles are quite lengthy, so here are some key points:

Google focused on three major areas: helping people remain connected, providing better help from Google Assistant and helping people lead healthier lives.

Google's research says people spend only about five seconds interacting with a watch on average, and the new software should get you what you need in that time.

The changes in navigation are probably the biggest difference existing Wear users will notice. The entire interface has been rearranged.

Long press on the home screen to change a watch face, like the original Android Wear.

Swiping to the left brings you straight to the circles that represent your Move minutes and Heart points (Google Fit).

Swiping to the right launches Google Assistant.

Swiping down opens the Settings panel. There is a new Google Pay button in the Settings panel for watches with NFC. Swipe up to see notifications.

Faster, better Google Assistant, with a redesigned Assistant page similar to a phone.

No major battery life improvements.

The new update is supposed to roll-out to all watches currently running Android Wear 2.0.

If & when you get the new update, post your thoughts & impressions.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Sounds like Google has another Wear OS update on the horizon. They plan to introduce Tiles to Wear OS, so with a left swipe you can access little tiles that show you important information. Sounds similar to swiping over to Assistant on our phones.

From the Google Blog:
Swipe for more: Tiles on Wear OS by Google

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

That actually seems like it could be really, really useful. A step-up from hot spots/shortcuts. Problem is, as always, limited storage and ram on even current models (how are there still only like 2GB of usable storage on even new watches?).

Mainly seems like a better implementation of "recents", which otherwise has notifications and other stuff mixed in.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I agree, it could be a useful & nifty addition to Wear OS. There is only so much you can do in these tiny screens, but having a swipe over to see cards / tiles could be nice.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Nothing for me yet, but the old Moto 360 Gen 2's are usually last to get Wear OS updates

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
According to those folks on Reddit this is another one of those updates that comes through the Wear OS app on the phone first, then when you update the Wear OS app on your watch it adds the new functionality. I guess we shall see? That would explain why the types of watches getting it now is random, if it's a Play Store app update.

OP
Sajo

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So does anyone other than @Badelhas have this new update with Tiles? There doesn't seem to be any concrete reference material about how this update is rolling out; via Wear OS app update, watch system update, magic, etc.