Question about using Skype to Skype on my D2G on wifi only

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Ok, I just signed up for Skype for free on my Macbook Pro. I want to use it on my D2G because I'm going to Germany tomorrow night and want to be able to call my husband on his Droid while he's here in the US. I am not bringing the Mac.

So I have user name as does he.

We tested it on wifi only but got a message that this won't work on wifi. HELP! Thanks.

al19

Reaction score
It is the one you don't have. If in doubt try downloading both. I believe it is the one with a mainly blue icon. The Verizon one has a mainly white icon.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
I see the mostly blue icon in Market. Have you used it? The reviews all seem negative.

al19

Reaction score
Yes. But not a lot. It did work but I can't say what using extensively would be like.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

garylet

Reaction score
Download the dark blue skype from the market...it works fine on wifi. In the US and abroad.

I wasn't sure how to interpret your statement about user accounts, but you and your husband will each need your own account.

Gary

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Download the dark blue skype from the market...it works fine on wifi. In the US and abroad.
I'm wondering if we're talking about the same app. The Skypes I see in Market are white with a sky-blue outline (called Skype Mobile on Verizon) and one that is sky-blue with the S in white (just called Skype). There are just two. Is there one that is dark blue? Which one do you recommend to download?

I wasn't sure how to interpret your statement about user accounts, but you and your husband will each need your own account.

Gary
My husband and I each have our own accounts on Skype. We set them up on our own respective laptops.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
To use the plain old Skype you need this application. This will give you the same Skype you use on your PC. Market has other versions, Skype on Verizon, Skype for au, and such; you don't want those two as they use the carrier's voice calls support and so on.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
To use the plain old Skype you need this application. This will give you the same Skype you use on your PC. Market has other versions, Skype on Verizon, Skype for au, and such; you don't want those two as they use the carrier's voice calls support and so on.
Has this app worked for you? The reviews I've read have been so negative. But if you use it on yours and it works, that's what matters.

Not sure how the video would work on the D2G but if voice works, that's great.

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
It's the only non-carrier specific version of the official Skype app available.

It works for me for IM and voice. It also has support for video but only for phones with a front-facing camera.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Ok, we downloaded the blue Skype app and the Stop Skype app. We tested it and it was ok. There seemed to be a 5-10 second delay though.

garylet

Reaction score
Yes, I meant the solid blue app, not dark blue. Solid blue works well. The same app recommended by Gasai Yuno.

The delay you have is a result of wifi/latency issues. Depends on the wifi connection, I believe.

Either I or my kids have used the solid blue skype app on android phones from England, Turkey, Costa Rica, Nicaragua and Ecuador. If you have a good wifi connection, it works great.

I recommend buying $10 of Skype credit so you can call any phone for about $.02/minute. Sometimes the pay call connection is better than skype to skype calling...sometimes skype to skype is better...no rhyme or reason, but for $10, you have another option.

Gary