Free calls to US using D2G

Mrs EB

Reaction score
I'm going to Germany next month and I want to know if I can use Skype for free on a free wifi network to communicate with my husband back in NY on his droid. I haven't downloaded Skype yet.

Is this possible?

I have the extended battery on my D2G and cannot get the battery cover off so I don't want to deal with the hassle of buying a SIM card for such a short trip. I think Skype would be perfect if it's free. I assume if I'm in a place with free wifi, that my data usage will also be free. Is that right too? Thanks.

mboyz1

Reaction score
If you have a global data plan, I don't see the problem in using it across the world. You're using your droid to call his, right? Skype is unlimited, reguardless. Assuming you have Verizon, you shouldn't be charged anything. Just to be sure you could try calling them and asking. That's what I would do.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

mboyz1

Reaction score
Do you have an unlimited data plan?

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
I have an unlimited data plan but I don't know if it's a global data plan.

mboyz1

Reaction score
Do you have a DROID Global and a SIM card?

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
Yes, I have a Droid 2 Global. I haven't bought a German SIM card.

mboyz1

Reaction score
You wont need to buy a German one. You'll only need the American one.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
You wont need to buy a German one. You'll only need the American one.
You lost me there. If I'm in Germany, why wouldn't I buy a German SIM card to call back to the US? Wouldn't an American one have much more expensive rates to call back to New York?

Also, I'm not looking to go the SIM card route because with the extended battery, I can't get the battery cover removed. That's why I'm wondering if being online at a free wifi locale in Germany would mean free data and free Skyping as it would here in the US.

mboyz1

Reaction score
The SIM card and Global phone are for people who travel the world. If you have unlimited data, you can use Skype to call him for free. The app Skype is free on the Droid on Verizon. You could try calling Verizon to make sure that what I'm telling you is correct. I know how a run up bill is. It sucks. If you want you can call 611 and press 3 when the lady starts talking. Then when she tells you to explain your problem you say 'Agent' then a Verizon Wireless agent will be able to help you.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
The data won't be under her plan. She is in another country and it will cost her money since she is not on Verizon in America. I know Canada and Mexico, the data is outrageous unless you have a plan that includes data from there. Call Verizon and get the real story so you don't get charged a ton. I am sure you have done the right thing by getting a German SIM card.

As for the original question, I am not sure. I thought Skype mobile still used phone minutes even with Skype to Skype calls, but I'm not sure.

sent from my ZombieStomped X

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I don't think unlimited plans include global calling or texting. And believe me, it is a fortune. Verizon charges a different per minute rate for each country you are in. If you are bringing a laptop then get magic Jack. $20 a year. Plug it into your laptop while overseas and you are calling locally over the internet to anyone in the us. You will also get all your voice mail, no extra charges. It is exactly what I do when I travel overseas. I keep my phone off overseas b/c of the surprise charges I have gotten when I got my bill.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
The data won't be under her plan. She is in another country and it will cost her money since she is not on Verizon in America. I know Canada and Mexico, the data is outrageous unless you have a plan that includes data from there. Call Verizon and get the real story so you don't get charged a ton.
Ok, so using my D2G under wireless only (not 3G) in a free wireless environment is NOT free and VZW will charge a lot for my going on line in Germany. That's what I needed to know.

Thanks.

I am sure you have done the right thing by getting a German SIM card.
Haven't done it yet. First, I need to go to a VZW to see if they can show me an easy way to open and close the extended battery cover. 2nd, I need to see if I should buy the German SIM card online or wait until I get to Germany. I need to compare costs.

OP
M

Mrs EB

Reaction score
I don't think unlimited plans include global calling or texting. And believe me, it is a fortune. Verizon charges a different per minute rate for each country you are in.
I was under the impression if you're in a free wifi area, that going online would be free. I'm learning quickly that this is wrong. Thanks.

If you are bringing a laptop then get magic Jack. $20 a year. Plug it into your laptop while overseas and you are calling locally over the internet to anyone in the us. You will also get all your voice mail, no extra charges. It is exactly what I do when I travel overseas. I keep my phone off overseas b/c of the surprise charges I have gotten when I got my bill.
Good to know. I'm actually not bringing my laptop. It's just a long weekend.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Ask Verizon every question possible. Document their answers. Can you use your phone via WiFi and not be charged? can you use WiFi to use Skype and not be charged? What if someone texts you? What if someone calls you? If you check voice mail? Etc. Etc. If you have surprise charges on your bill, Verizon is pretty good about reversing charges.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums