Question about Ram/Rom/Internal Memory

solorca

Reaction score
So, I've been looking at the specs for the Incredible, and it says that it has 528mb of RAM, 528mb of ROM, and 8gb of internal memory.

So, from a practical side, what does this actually mean? Will there be 8GB of space for things like apps and games, or will that be limited to 528mb? If I could actually use 8GB of space for apps/games, I think I may make the switch. I currently only have 26mb available, and had to delete Google Earth and Homerun 3D Battle just to keep from running completely out of space.

Only a few months into my Droid experience, I would hate to see how much stuff I will need to delete just to have all of the apps/programs I want.

brando56894

Reaction score
If you just want more space, root your droid, install a custom rom and setup apps2sd so you can install your apps onto your SD card.

OP
S

solorca

Reaction score
If you just want more space, root your droid, install a custom rom and setup apps2sd so you can install your apps onto your SD card.

My Droid is rooted, but I would need a higher class SD card in addition to dealing with all of the other little issues that apps2sd causes at this time. Also, I may be mistaken about this, but I think you have to use the CyanogenMod to use apps2sd at this time...and I've had nothing but bad experiences with that specific ROM.

The extra space isn't the only reason I'm interested in upgrading, but it would be a nice perk.

Does anyone have an answer to the question?

nphil

Reaction score
since it says 512MB ROM, that would most likely be the limit for apps. Ofcourse, you would have to subtract whatever space the OS takes. No way to know for sure until someone gets their hand on a unit.

stanrc

Reaction score
So, I've been looking at the specs for the Incredible, and it says that it has 528mb of RAM, 528mb of ROM, and 8gb of internal memory.

So, from a practical side, what does this actually mean? Will there be 8GB of space for things like apps and games, or will that be limited to 528mb? If I could actually use 8GB of space for apps/games, I think I may make the switch. I currently only have 26mb available, and had to delete Google Earth and Homerun 3D Battle just to keep from running completely out of space.

Only a few months into my Droid experience, I would hate to see how much stuff I will need to delete just to have all of the apps/programs I want.

RAM is the memory used by processes currently running, more RAM means you can run more apps without any slowing down

ROM is the memory where the system files (the OS) is stored. This is where apps you download are stored as well by default.

The 8 GB is probably a microSD card. This is where you can store movies and music and stuff.

coolkidd

Reaction score
The 8 GB is probably a microSD card. This is where you can store movies and music and stuff.

I do not think this is the microSD... HTC Incredible also has a slot for microSD in addition to the 8GB... I believe the 8GB is "embedded internal memory"

Well see on the 29th.....:icon_ banana:

huskur

Reaction score

RAM is the memory used by processes currently running, more RAM means you can run more apps without any slowing down

ROM is the memory where the system files (the OS) is stored. This is where apps you download are stored as well by default.

Droid 512 ROM 256 RAM
Incredible 512 ROM 512 RAM

The 8GB is internal storage for photos/music...ect. Not apps (this is additional space along with your SD card)

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
My Droid is rooted, but I would need a higher class SD card in addition to dealing with all of the other little issues that apps2sd causes at this time. Also, I may be mistaken about this, but I think you have to use the CyanogenMod to use apps2sd at this time...and I've had nothing but bad experiences with that specific ROM.

The extra space isn't the only reason I'm interested in upgrading, but it would be a nice perk.

Does anyone have an answer to the question?
Hello solorca,

You do not need a higher class sd card. I've been running apps2sd for a coule weeks now with zero problems. If you are not having any luck on Cyanogens ROM with apps2sd you may want to try UD v10.

But again, I have experienced not one issue with apps2sd.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
512mb of ROM is your limit for apps. The 8gb is not an sdcard, just internal memory. To use the apps2sd feature, you do not need a higher class sdcard. I am using the same one that came with the phone and it works great.