Droid X Memory Help

Grimgard

Reaction score
Can some one explain the way my Droid X Motorola Verizon 2.2 Cell Phones handles memory? My phone has 8GB internal memory and 8GB external memory. How much of the internal does my phone use to run applications and the Operating system? I use a Task killer because sometimes my phone will start to run slow and it will help free up ram but I notice when I boot my phone (battery pull) it will have about 250mb of memory then slowly it will start to shrink. Is there a set amount of the internal ram set aside for the OS and applications? I thought the phone would use what is free in the system memory. I have over 6.5GB of free space on my internal memory so whats the deal? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
OP
G

Grimgard

Reaction score
Maybe I should of made my title " I Hate Droid" or "Root my Droid" and some one would of replied :( Not trying to be a jerk but I know some of your smart Droid X users know how memory is handled by the Droid X and can explain it to me. Thanks! :bump:

Last edited:
OP
G

Grimgard

Reaction score
Did I post in the wrong section? would the Tech section be a better place to ask? Sorry new to the phone and these forums.

:bump:

kennydied23

Reaction score
You should've posted in the Droid X section, but I'll help you anyway. Android automatically handles memory by putting apps into the background so when you want to open them, they open fast. That's why the amount of memory is decreasing. There are some threads on this forum that go in-depth about android's memory management techniques, if I find them I'll post them.

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
The X has 512mb of ram, the 8gb internal and external dont have anything to do with this figure. Ram is the fast memory that the system uses to do any tasks. The 8gb is your "hard drive" so to say, its just where it stores its info/apps/operating system and all other files.

So if you have ~250mb of free ram after a reset, you can assume that the rest is used for the system.

Using a task killer is often looked down upon, because the android system usually handles memory very well. But if you see it bogging down, you can use one to kill off apps that you dont want running. A good rule to follow is any apps that immediately start back up after you kill tasks, need to be excluded from your task killing.

Seeing the 250mb shrink as time goes by(and you are running apps etc) is normal.

Did that help any? Any more questions, just ask.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
VERY well put!

The X has 512mb of ram, the 8gb internal and external dont have anything to do with this figure. Ram is the fast memory that the system uses to do any tasks. The 8gb is your "hard drive" so to say, its just where it stores its info/apps/operating system and all other files.

So if you have ~250mb of free ram after a reset, you can assume that the rest is used for the system.

Using a task killer is often looked down upon, because the android system usually handles memory very well. But if you see it bogging down, you can use one to kill off apps that you dont want running. A good rule to follow is any apps that immediately start back up after you kill tasks, need to be excluded from your task killing.

Seeing the 250mb shrink as time goes by(and you are running apps etc) is normal.

Did that help any? Any more questions, just ask.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)