question about power control widget

zero7404

Reaction score
i added this widget and there are 6 icons....

from left to right:
wifi/bluetooth/?/sync/screen brightness

i was wondering what the icon in the middle does. it's a dish tilted to the right, with some waves radiating out of it. it's on by default, but when i turn it off i don't see anything happening on the phone....

anyone ?

gt7785

Reaction score
its for the GPS signal, you can turn it off to save battery

powellk00

Reaction score
That one turns your gps on and off. If you leave gps on when you dont need it, it can drain your battery.

Hope that helps...

OP
zero7404

zero7404

Reaction score
im so dense....shoulda thought of that.....
i keep it on all the time.....but when @ work i guess its useless. ... thanks for the tips

AMGBenz1

Reaction score
I believe that if you leave the GPS on it will only activate when an app requests it. So I don't think it will drain your battery too bad.

ShowTime

Reaction score
I believe that if you leave the GPS on it will only activate when an app requests it. So I don't think it will drain your battery too bad.

True. I leave mine on constantly and still get plenty of battery life.

zakany

Reaction score
Lots of apps use the GPS. Even the browser. If you're indoors, don't care about GPS and want to browse, turning GPS off will save your battery some life. Otherwise, the browser will try its damnedest to get a fix.

It's good to have choices.

asperber

Reaction score
When that GPS button is enabled, but no program is using the GPS, does it still kill the battery?

Guurzak

Reaction score
For a while I was religious about turning GPS on and off, then I stopped bothering and have noticed no difference in battery life.

deubster

Reaction score
Number one battery killer on that panel is all the way to the right - screen brightness. It dwarfs all the others put together. WiFi would be number 2. Syncing would probably be third. GPS on or off would hardly be noticable.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I leave GPS on 24/7 its only in use when you see the little GPS symbol up in the task bar up top. I do turn off WiFi and BlueTooth when not in use.

BacknBlack are you saying leaving BlueTooth on does drain the battery?

-=Jason=-

psujames41

Reaction score
I have the power control widget and never have GPS turned on. I decided to turn it on this morning and monitor my battery life- I figure having GPS on all the time will allow my maps to pinpoint my location quicker (Is this correct?). My question is: when I turn my GPS on with the power control widget and go into "location" via settings, both "wireless networks" and "GPS" are selected for methods of determining my location. Should I uncheck "wireless networks?" Do they compete for my location or does the GPS setting trump the wireless network setting? Thanks.

gnmitchell

Reaction score
I have the power control widget and never have GPS turned on. I decided to turn it on this morning and monitor my battery life- I figure having GPS on all the time will allow my maps to pinpoint my location quicker (Is this correct?). My question is: when I turn my GPS on with the power control widget and go into "location" via settings, both "wireless networks" and "GPS" are selected for methods of determining my location. Should I uncheck "wireless networks?" Do they compete for my location or does the GPS setting trump the wireless network setting? Thanks.

GPS will trump the wireless network, but if you are in a building gps may not work so then it will use the wireless network to get a location.

psujames41

Reaction score

GPS will trump the wireless network, but if you are in a building gps may not work so then it will use the wireless network to get a location.

Great. Thanks!!