[Q] Droid 2, Roms & activations

kerber0ss

Reaction score
You guys must be tired of people asking the same over and over, and to be honest that is because information is so scattered newcomers often get confused.
But Anyways.
I've got myself a motorila Droid 2 a few days ago, poking around internet i found about rooting and roms and all that stuff, however I've got a question that's yet to be answered!
I'm currently residing in Mexico, my Droid 2 is unlocked and activated on a mexican carrier, however on the guides I've red so far it says that one of the requirements for installing custom ROM's one must wipe all data from the phone and return to factory settings, this means i will have to pay AGAIN to get it unlocked and activated?
As i said before, information is scattered, and is not always accuarate.
Somewhere on the net i also found a post that states customs ROM's come unlocked... whats with that?
And one last question.
What will happen if i only root my phone, no custom rom added? will this be harmful in any way? could i be able to overclock and get rid of the annoying verizon apps or do i forcefully need to install a custom ROM?
Thanks for all answers in advance.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
one must wipe all data from the phone and return to factory settings, this means i will have to pay AGAIN to get it unlocked and activated?
-No. Just sign in to your google account like you did when you first activated it.

What will happen if i only root my phone, no custom rom added? will this be harmful in any way?
-No. It will be just be rooted.

could i be able to overclock and get rid of the annoying verizon apps
-Yes

or do i forcefully need to install a custom ROM?
-No

OP
K

kerber0ss

Reaction score
OK, I still don't get it, what does my Gmail account has to do with my phone being unlocked? According my limited knowledge if I wipe all data as the giudes say, the current configuration will be non existent, because I've seen freshly booted phones and the activation screen pops right after

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
OK, I still don't get it, what does my Gmail account has to do with my phone being unlocked?
What do you mean by unlocked? Unlocked/activated? or Unlocked/rooted?
According my limited knowledge if I wipe all data as the giudes say, the current configuration will be non existent, because I've seen freshly booted phones and the activation screen pops right after
Thats correct. Then you sign into your gmail account. After logging in, your phone will sync to your account. Thats when your apps and contacts will come back.

Swyped from a Droid

OP
K

kerber0ss

Reaction score
I mean unlocked as in I'm using it on a carrier outside US, its free from Verizon's network, that's what I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear.
I guess that is safe to say on base of your last post that intact, I'll have to pay again to set it free from Verizon

louy99

Reaction score
Rooting shouldn't cause a problem at all. When we flash a new rom, our phones still stay connected to oir network even when we clear data/factory reset. All we do is type in our email address and it loads our profile that is saved in the google servers. I would only think it would work the same for you. The only time I find myself having to connect back to verizon is when we sbf our phones.