Problems with WiFi Tether after root

steven6282

Reaction score
Ok, I got my Droid Razr MAXX today. First thing I did when I got home with it is root it. Root went fine as far as I could tell.

Installed WiFi Tether Hotspot from here: android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting the newest version 3.1 beta 11.

When I start the hotspot, it seems like it starts the built in hotspot tether app as well (I see it pop up in the notification bar). And all is fine for a few minutes, but after about 10 minutes, the built in tether app closes and the hotspot stops working.

Any idea what the problem may be? I'm going to try another version of the wifi tether app, but figured I'd post here as well just in case I'm missing something else.

wes_txt

Reaction score
I installed this also, and noticed the popup. I clicked on it, it went to some Verizon agreement page where I clicked "decline". Popup never came back. Tethering worked fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
S

steven6282

Reaction score
Hrmm, yeah I went into it and did the decline as well but it didn't go away for me. Still there, although this time the hotspot has been running longer than before. It seems like it might have something to do with the amount of data I'm transferring over it or something...

I don't know but it's annoying because this is the one most important thing I want my phone working for. I use tethering on a daily basis, and refuse to pay verizon another 30 dollars a month for something that should be included as part of the standard data plan. Heck I use the tethering more than I make phone calls lol.

For the record, I've tried about 10 different versions of the wifi tether app (including some non beta 2.0.x versions) since my first post and all of them have similar results. Plus most of them only do adhoc mode which is a problem for me since I'm connecting with an android based tablet sometimes that cannot connect to this type of wifi.

Last edited:

jf7609

Reaction score
Hrmm, yeah I went into it and did the decline as well but it didn't go away for me. Still there, although this time the hotspot has been running longer than before. It seems like it might have something to do with the amount of data I'm transferring over it or something...

I don't know but it's annoying because this is the one most important thing I want my phone working for. I use tethering on a daily basis, and refuse to pay verizon another 30 dollars a month for something that should be included as part of the standard data plan. Heck I use the tethering more than I make phone calls lol.

For the record, I've tried about 10 different versions of the wifi tether app (including some non beta 2.0.x versions) since my first post and all of them have similar results. Plus most of them only do adhoc mode which is a problem for me since I'm connecting with an android based tablet sometimes that cannot connect to this type of wifi.

I am having the same problem with mine. Im going to try freezing the built in hotspot with TB and see if that helps.

Update: Didn't help. I even played around with the settings in the tether app and nothing worked. The app will stay open, just that when I click on a website or something, it just wont try to load. Really annoying.

Last edited:

Firemedic67

Reaction score
I found this to be a problem as well. I did find the cause. Make sure the "data encryption" options are not on/active on your device. I turn all of the options off and now it works flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
I had the same problem, gave up and tried FoxFi (even though I'm rooted) and it worked brilliant with my Fire and even handled the error when I shut the app off just see what happened. Netflix yelled at me that it didn't have a connection and when I turned it back on in maybe a dozen seconds I was back on watching my show.
Now I need a netbook at work and,,,,

aajj99

Reaction score
I found this to be a problem as well. I did find the cause. Make sure the "data encryption" options are not on/active on your device. I turn all of the options off and now it works flawlessly.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Sounds like a good solution-----But pls clarify if it will still be safe to do business on internet using sensitive private info like banking, social security #, passwords,etc while tethering, if the encyption is off & disabled.-----thanks

Nyobie

Reaction score
@Steven - did you get yours to work? I've spent nearly 5 days investigating and I came close to getting my netbook to connect. Strange thing is, my home pc will connect and will allow me to get onto the Yahoo home page, but my netbook won't connect to the internet at all. The phone and netbook connect to each other without a problem and that step seems to be the same regardless of which app I load. I've tried every one I can get my hands on.

It seems strange that there isn't a solution for this somewhere easy to find. I'm at the verge of buying a regular laptop at this point. The netbook I have has Windows 7 and 2GB RAM so I was able to load the full Windows version as I had found something online during my search, that said the netbook Windows 7 version didn't have the adhoc network setup icon available to create an adhoc network, but I don't even think that's a requirement because my phone will connect with the netbook anyway.

This is so frustrating, I'm almost to the point of activating the hotspot feature again. My Unlimited Data plan shouldn't matter to me if I'm watching Netflix on the phone or Netflix on my netbook screen since the data amount will be the same either way but it would be like paying $37/mo for Netflix rather than the $7/mo I'm paying for it now.

Nyobie

Reaction score
Well, the wired version works fine.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

papaford1963

Reaction score
I have wifi tether and it works but it disconnects my bluetooth headset so I tried foxfi and it works like a charm