Problems with Chargers for the Pro

spydergirl

Reaction score
In the past, I've always stocked-up on cheap chargers from Ebay because I can get many of them for around $2-$3, so I buy them up to keep in various rooms and for travel. The latest models of BBerry chargers are pretty universal with the Droids, but I've had trouble using my "stash" of chargers on my Pro.

They either don't work at all or "LOOK" like they're charging (like a normal charger), but actually seem to work "backwards" by completely DRAINING the battery after leaving it on the charger for the normal amount of charging time. This phenomenon has happened several times now, so I can't use any of my other chargers. The only one that works CORRECTLY is the one that came in the package with my phone.

I need extra chargers ESPECIALLY with this Droid because of the terrible battery life with any heavy useage. I need to keep an extra one at work and in various rooms of the house, but I just can't see paying $20(+/-) for a CHARGER when I can get them in large numbers on Ebay for so cheap!!

Has anyone found a CHEAP (or reasonably-priced) resource for spare chargers for their Droid Pro without having to spend alot of money for each one? I'm scared to buy them on Ebay now because they might "claim" to work for the DPro, but my other ones only DRAIN the battery instead of CHARGE it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I'm also thinking of buying an additional battery to keep handy for quick changes when I can't charge-up. I'd also like to get the extended battery, but I need to find a cover that fits over it. I currently use the Rubberized Hard covers and they can really take a beating (plus, I get them as well on Ebay for cheaply, so I can stock-up to keep them handy).

ravenhawk

Reaction score
You can use the same charger as anything else that uses a micro-usb (or whatever it's called, sorry, I may be mixing up terms here) charger, meaning the more recent Blackberry's, HTC Droid Incredible, other Droids, etc.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
It's always been recommended to use OEM Chargers with the Droids.

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
You can use the same charger as anything else that uses a micro-usb (or whatever it's called, sorry, I may be mixing up terms here) charger, meaning the more recent Blackberry's, HTC Droid Incredible, other Droids, etc.

I understand that, but when I tried using the ones I already have on-stock from my last smart phones, the chargers literally DRAINED the battery completely. It was the strangest thing. I even tried them again several times just to make sure it wasn't a fluke of some sort. So, I wondered if the Pro has some sort of hidden setting that only allows it to charge on VERIZON / MOTOROLA chargers, requiring me to pay full price for spares. It was just an odd thing to happen.

ravenhawk

Reaction score
I used a friend's Rocketfish charger the other day, which I had originally bought for her for her Blackberry, and it worked fine.

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score

Dumb question..... does OEM mean "Original Equipment Manufactured" or something like that? So I basically have to buy the original equipment at full price for it to work safely and correctly?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I understand that, but when I tried using the ones I already have on-stock from my last smart phones, the chargers literally DRAINED the battery completely.

I'll bet the charger was not putting out enough to charge the droid.

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
I used a friend's Rocketfish charger the other day, which I had originally bought for her for her Blackberry, and it worked fine.

Ah ok. I'm just wondering if it's fluke with my particular phone. I'll keep trying and keep you posted.

Thanks. :)

kjjb0204

Reaction score
It's a fluke with your phone. I haven't bought new chargers in years. I'm still using an assortment of moto and bb usb chargers, all with mini to micro adapters on them. Gone through 11 devices in 3 years, and never had a charging issue. Don't let moto or the carriers convince you to buy a full price retail brand charger.

On a side note, several years ago when my wife had a razr, it would not take a charge from anything but a moto charger. It would show a message that the charger is not sufficient or something like that. Anyhow, I think it's your phone.

whozat451

Reaction score

Dumb question..... does OEM mean "Original Equipment Manufactured" or something like that? So I basically have to buy the original equipment at full price for it to work safely and correctly?

Your correct, OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer, and yes most Motorola phones are happier being charged with a Motorola charger.

However, I also think your issue is with the amount of voltage being put out...I also have a micro USB wall charger that will not work for my phone (though not sure it will cause a drain like you describe) and its original purpose was to charge a Bluetooth headset. What I can use is an adapter that converts from mini USB to micro USB. I use this on my older Blackberry wall and USB charger and has worked fine for me.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Yes that is what it means....You don;t have to use them but the ones you do use need to meet the power output of the stock chargers.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
In the past, I've always stocked-up on cheap chargers from Ebay because I can get many of them for around $2-$3, so I buy them up to keep in various rooms and for travel. The latest models of BBerry chargers are pretty universal with the Droids, but I've had trouble using my "stash" of chargers on my Pro.

They either don't work at all or "LOOK" like they're charging (like a normal charger), but actually seem to work "backwards" by completely DRAINING the battery after leaving it on the charger for the normal amount of charging time. This phenomenon has happened several times now, so I can't use any of my other chargers. The only one that works CORRECTLY is the one that came in the package with my phone.

I need extra chargers ESPECIALLY with this Droid because of the terrible battery life with any heavy useage. I need to keep an extra one at work and in various rooms of the house, but I just can't see paying $20(+/-) for a CHARGER when I can get them in large numbers on Ebay for so cheap!!

Has anyone found a CHEAP (or reasonably-priced) resource for spare chargers for their Droid Pro without having to spend alot of money for each one? I'm scared to buy them on Ebay now because they might "claim" to work for the DPro, but my other ones only DRAIN the battery instead of CHARGE it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions. I'm also thinking of buying an additional battery to keep handy for quick changes when I can't charge-up. I'd also like to get the extended battery, but I need to find a cover that fits over it. I currently use the Rubberized Hard covers and they can really take a beating (plus, I get them as well on Ebay for cheaply, so I can stock-up to keep them handy).

As the ole' saying goes..."you get what you pay for"..."there are no free lunches".

OP
spydergirl

spydergirl

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great help and information. That makes sense now. I did find chargers on Ebay for practically "pennies" that claim to be only for the DPro and/or various other indicated models, so I'm guessing they were designed to meet the charging needs of the DPro and other similar models. Can't hurt to try since I won't be out THAT much money if it doesn't work.

I completely agree that you "get what you pay for," but I just can't make myself spend $20 for chargers when I go through them pretty fast - cat chewing on the cord, alot of travelling, and needing one in every room so I don't have to drag it with me everywhere I go.

I'll try the ones listed on Ebay that are indicated strictly FOR the DPro and will keep you posted. Can't beat prices like $1.99, $2.49, $3.99, etc. so what can I lose? *LOL*

Thanks again!! :)

google123

Reaction score
I use one of my BB chargers with my Pro and it works just fine. I left the one the Pro came with in the box. No need to open another charger if I already have one that works... :D