Problems getting to Gingerbread

biknut1

Reaction score
To clarify I do have a D2G still on Froyo, running CyanogenMod 7, which means obviously rooted and bootstrapped. It isn't that I am just posting without reading any of the forums- in fact, quite the opposite. I've read so much my head is spinning around in circles! I have flashed Fission, Hexen, Angel, and CM7. I have SBF'ed a few times- enough that I am comfortable with it. So tonight I want to flash the GB leak and the CM7-GB, but have some questions.

First, with CM7 on Froyo, when I hold the power button down I can get to the menu with Silent/Airplane Mode, Profile, Screenshot, Reboot, and Power Off, but there is no longer an option to go into Recovery. Where did that go to?

Next, do I understand correctly that I need to SBF back to .330 stock, then install the leaked and rooted GB? Or I could go completely stock and let the update download and install itself, except I don't want to go through with all the unrooting hassle.

If I do go with the rooted GB leak, I go into CWM and install files 1 & 2, then immediately install CM7GB before rebooting?

Honestly, I have been reading on 4 different forums, and I can't keep track of all of it! Thanks ahead of time for any help/info!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
It's under reboot. On Froyo based cm, there is no need to sbf; you're still running under the Froyo kernel and nothing needs to be modified except for the system partition-which is modified (to the way you want before updating to GB) anyways when you do a nandroid restore to blur. After you're done restoring to blur, just wipe your cache (be safe), and install the 2 part pre-rooted update from TBH. No sbf required unless you wish to return to Froyo. Once GB is installed, there is still no need to reboot, just install CyanogenMod7(don't forget to wipe data/cache beforehand!), making sure it's the gingerbread kernel based one and NOT from Rom Manager, along with the gapps. Reboot, and you'll be all set.

OP
B

biknut1

Reaction score
It's under reboot. On Froyo based cm, there is no need to sbf; you're still running under the Froyo kernel and nothing needs to be modified except for the system partition-which is modified (to the way you want before updating to GB) anyways when you do a nandroid restore to blur. After you're done restoring to blur, just wipe your cache (be safe), and install the 2 part pre-rooted update from TBH. No sbf required unless you wish to return to Froyo. Once GB is installed, there is still no need to reboot, just install CyanogenMod7(don't forget to wipe data/cache beforehand!), making sure it's the gingerbread kernel based one and NOT from Rom Manager, along with the gapps. Reboot, and you'll be all set.

Byakushiki-

Thank you for responding yet another time. I hit the power button again and hit Reboot- still did not get an option to go into Recovery like I did when I first installed CM7. The phone immediately rebooted itself. The only reason this is an issue is that I would like to do a Nandroid Backup of where I am now- it works fairly well and I like it, so if there are problems with the new version I would like to come back here easily.

I'm thinking I might have to reinstall CM7 Froyo just to get the Recovery back! Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is an issue once in a while where I lost that option too...just use rom manager to get to recovery...

My D2 is miles ahead of me running Cm7GB(OTAkernel)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
If not use rom toolbox from jrummy...or a free app called quick reboot...

OP
B

biknut1

Reaction score
If not use rom toolbox from jrummy...or a free app called quick reboot...

Downloading Quick Reboot right now- may wait until tomorrow to reflash. Thank you too for the info- it is much appreciated!!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Downloading Quick Reboot right now- may wait until tomorrow to reflash. Thank you too for the info- it is much appreciated!!

Cool app! Keep on your desktop! Lol and if your interested, look for a way to boot recovery every reboot for safety,.. while flashing ROMs can save you in the event something ever goes wrong...lol I don't mind hitting the camera button to reboot when "rebooting"..this has saved my arse before when I accidently installed an old file from an old kernel...lol

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Rom manager is always nice to have if somehow recovery gets removed, though I think this is what happened.
Go under settings/CyanogenMod Settings/Interface. Check the Power prompt option, then see what happens if you click reboot.
Another pointer: don't flash any recovery but the one that says 2nd init if you're on CM4D2G or MIUI. You will softbrick/break 2nd init, and will have to sbf.

OP
B

biknut1

Reaction score
Just messed up- again! Using Quick Reboot I was able to get into stock recovery. Without thinking I wiped data and cache. But the whole problem all along (that I didn't make very clear) is that I cannot get into CWM- Recovery or otherwise. So now I have no way to install the files that I downloaded and transferred to the SD card earlier.

Going to bed right now- my brain is tired. But looks like SBF time again tomorrow. Sure was hoping to avoid that this time, and keep it all simple.

OP
B

biknut1

Reaction score
It's all good again!

A huge thank you to everyone who responded with great advice! I waited until today and started over. I did have SBF due to my last mistake yesterday, but it worked without any problems. I re-rooted, loaded up Bootstrap, installed GB, installed CM7 + Gapps, Rebooted, and it works like it is supposed to!

All of you- and this forum- are the greatest!