Flashing GB Leak for D2G

Reaction score
Been awhile since i've messed around on a D2G, since I've been solely using my DX-1, but my Roomate has one and really wants GB and I told her about the Leak, which she is familiar with cause she saw my DX when I had GB leak first put on it. Anyways, my question is, do i need to have Bootstrap recovery installed, and be rooted in order to do this. or do I just need to be at stock .330 (I believe thats the version number, like i said, its been awhile since i've modded a D2G) and follow these instructions -

-Download the file right here
-Rename it to update.zip
-Place it on the root of the SD card
-Boot into recovery by holding power+X
-Choose update

after reading this, it sounds like it could go either way. but the fact that it says to boot into recovery, and not "Stock Recovery" makes me think I need the bootstrap app installed and of course that means i have to have the phone rooted. So can someone tell me exactly what I need to do to prep the phone, so I can flash the GB leak onto it ? thanks in advance for any help, peeps. Appreciate it !

stillwaiting

Reaction score
nope, i installed it this morning and it worked fine for me what you need to do is: not have any recovery installed or rooted, be on .330 instead of .29, then the you also have to unzip the original file and there should be two files and you should rename the 2.4.330 to update.zip. i came from cm7 so i sbf'ed back to .29 updated to 330 then installed it.
hope it helps

Insidious

Reaction score
its stock recovery not cwm

Actually you MUST and I mean MUST be on stock unrooted no hijack file .330 and flashed in STOCK recovery.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Depends on if you want rooted or not, if not then stock unrooted without bootstrap. If you do then stock rooted/bootstrapped.

Insidious

Reaction score
Oh sweet! Angel, is it physically possible to just download the file to my phone and flash it without bricking or do I have to do the computer update.zip method?

OP
BackSeatSuicide
Reaction score
Its on my roomates phone so I just want it unrooted, so I will the 2nd post'rs instructions. Thanks for the info fellas. Been awhile since I've been on here. Forgot how helpful you all are. Broke up with my GF a couple months ago and we shared a plan, so she shut my phone off (dumb ***** that she is lol)so I dont have a phone at all right now :( i miss my droid x soooo much ! But I'm waiting til I get this job i'm hopefully starting in Sept. to get a new plan and phone, which I may just wait til either the Bionic comes out or one of the Quad-Core phones for verizon, not sure yet. Anyways, thanks again

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
I just finished the general manual update method. It worked like a charm. There are 2 ways to do it from what I found. one file is complete and the other for some reason is in two parts. I went the easy route and used the single file, followed the recovery sequence. Looks great, seems to run smooth. I'm sure it will be better once all the music files recover the album art. :motdroidhoriz:

bilbobaggins

Reaction score
Say can you drop a link to the instructions for those 2 ways?

Thanks in advance.

DR

rigacci, what I found is BackBeatSuicide has the link in his post. In my search I found another link that has he update split into two files. The one I used is in a single file. The configuration requirements are thesame for both. So there are two options, I wasn't sure how the second half was going to install so I opted for the single file. If your phone is rooted or at a different version than .330 then you have to follow the instructions for rooting the D2G . If your Droid is stock and .330 firmware follow the directions from the first pos That' where the file link is anyway.

silver6054

Reaction score
rigacci, what I found is BackBeatSuicide has the link in his post. In my search I found another link that has he update split into two files. The one I used is in a single file. The configuration requirements are thesame for both. So there are two options, I wasn't sure how the second half was going to install so I opted for the single file. If your phone is rooted or at a different version than .330 then you have to follow the instructions for rooting the D2G . If your Droid is stock and .330 firmware follow the directions from the first pos That' where the file link is anyway.
The two files were (at least originally) for different purposes. One was the straight update (at the time .606) for stock UNROOTED .330 phones. The two parter was a pre-rooted version of .606 for those that wanted root under GB. This required bootstrapper as the files cannot both be called update.zip!

This came up just before the D3 rooting method, so now there is no real need for a prerooted version.

chrisz5z

Reaction score
Depends on if you want rooted or not, if not then stock unrooted without bootstrap. If you do then stock rooted/bootstrapped.

So if I'm on Hexen, can i just flash the GB leak from Clockworkmod?...instead of having to SBF?

What exactly does the leak flash besides a new kernel and system folder?

Saosinx

Reaction score
No, sbf back and install from stock.

Sent from CM7ed D2G

chrisz5z

Reaction score
No, sbf back and install from stock.

Sent from CM7ed D2G

Why? I read a yes and a no searching rootzwiki forums. Is the bootloader updated as well in the gingerbread release?

I'm used to messing with a Samsung Captivate, switching between GB and Froyo didn't require you to flash back to stock :)